Some key features missing

Options
krofan
krofan
Community Member

hi,

I bought 1password for Mac and iOS a few months ago, wanting to move away from another password manager (pwsafe). I really really want to love and use 1password but so far some key features that are presenting other password safe are missing from 1password and preventing me from using it on iOS:

1. Ability to launch another browser than safari
    I understand that one of the many appeal to use your software is how well it integrates to our browsing experience, and on my Mac it is working great. But for many reasons I do not want to use safari on iOS, I tried, but it is not for me. I understand you cannot integrate with chrome until Google do some magic with their app but at the very least, why don't you offer an option to launch chrome/another browser? It won't fill the form automatically as it does with safari but you could automatically open chrome, tell it to go to a specific URL and let the user to manually paste the password in the clipboard? This will give us a choice!
    Not as automated than with safari, but at least it makes it work with other browser! Right now I have to copy the password in 1password, exit, open chrome, type the URL I want (or select it from my favourites), etc.

2. Able to copy and paste the password and username
    pwsafe has a very neat feature, you open the app, you select the password you want, click on a "lightning" button and this will:
    Copy your password in the clipboard, open the browser of your choice and direct you to the URL linked to the password.
    You paste your password in the form and for the userid?
    You flip your iOS device, physically flip it down and back up, and you see a small message telling you the username is now in the clipboard, you can now paste the username in the form...
    This technique of switching the username and password in the clipboard by physically flipping your iOS device is very handy! Especially when you are using a browser which has no integration with your app!

I really want to love your app, but the fact I cannot launch another browser than safari is really a show stopper at the moment for me. I hope you can consider this option in future realise so my 1password app does not feel lonely in its TMP folder.

Regards,
S.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Integration of 1P with other iOS apps depends on developers of those other apps adopting the 1P extension and engineering their apps to do so. Safari is not the only browser to do so. iCab Mobile (which I use) also integrates with 1P for iOS.
    2. I'm not sure if I've fully understood your comment but it seems to me that 1P is actually rather easier to use than the method you describe (assuming we're talking of browser based logins). All you need to do in 1P is to touch the login URL and 1P will open its own built-in browser and log you in. I appreciate that's not letting you use "the browser of your choice" but it's a very much quicker method of getting to the site you need.

Stephen

• krofan
    krofan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi stephen,
    Thanks for your quick answer but for 1) launching any browser does not depend of integrating 1P, it is just a standard call to any browser with a URL, the password is copied in the clipboard.
    This allows the use of any browser without any integration required.
    Right know 1P does not allow this simple API call and as a result limits its usage. Granted, the experience with Safari is excellent because fully automated, but for the poor soul like me who wants to use Another browser, even if the automation doesn't work , we just can't.
    I would like to have a choice, at least for 1P to allow for launching chrome and copy the password in the clipboard. No integration required. And a good alternative until chrome decides to integrate 1P for a fuller experience.

Regards,
    S.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

It is easy to copy and paste from the iOS application. If you tap on a username, you are immediately offered the option to copy it. If you tap on a password, you are immediately offered the option to reveal it (if it's hidden) or to copy it. Is that what you seek? @Stephen_C covered the integration issue as it currently stands. I don't have any useful knowledge of how one application can call another in iOS, but I have seen Google applications call one another, but I can't remember such a call from one developer's application to another's. I'm not saying it can't happen - only that I haven't seen it.

• krofan
    krofan
    Community Member
    Options

Let me try to explain again :)
    1P is great with safari on iOS but a pain with any other browsers, yes, you can use the internal browser but this is not good if you prefer say Chrome (bookmark sync with your laptop, render a page as if you were a desktop, being able to see open sessions from other computers, etc).
    There are a few things that 1P could do to help making it easier for those who choose to use Chrome and the likes. This is what pwsafe offers and I would love for 1P to also integrate those features, it would work like this:

• you open 1P
    • You select the password/site you want to log in to
    • You click on the URL and it will automatically open chrome (or another browser you specified in 1P settings)
    • Chrome opens with the URL specified, most likely a login form.
    • In the clipboard 1P populated your password, so you just copy and past the password
    • Without leaving chrome, you flip the iOS device back and forth, now 1P (which runs in the background) automatically copy the username, which you can now also paste on the form.
    • Et voila.

At the moment, if you want to use chrome with 1P, all you can do is copy the password (or username) and manually exit 1P, open chrome, enter the URL you want (or select it from your bookmark), paste the password and manually enter the username (or go back to 1P and copy it).
    I hope you can see there are many more manual steps required than the solution I described above.

Maybe one day chrome will integrate with 1P and all this will not be needed, but those features would work with any browsers (past and future) and would make for a good alternative way to enter userid and password in the event the integration is broken/not ready yet/never going to happen

Now, you could just say use safari, but for the reasons I mentioned above I'd rather not (plus many others abut that's not the point). Or you could say, well if pwsafe is so great then use it instead!
    Well I am using pwsafe, and I am fairly happy with it, but I much prefer the presentation of 1P, the community around it and how it behaves on the desktop.

All I am asking is for the developers to consider adding other features to help people, like me, who use a different browser to safari or the 1P browser. Not sure if the developers will read that specific thread.

Sorry if I am not being very clear about those features :/
    S.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi @krofan‌

I will pass on your thoughts but I'm unsure what will happen. Thanks to Extensions we're moving away from using the clipboard which is a very good idea. The clipboard is still one of those communal locations that all apps can read and ideally we want to avoid using it. We're trying to do this in Android for example with the additional features available in Lollipop.

So I'm not saying it's a no, I'm just saying I don't know what the response may be.

To help, can you describe 2. a little more for me please. Are you saying that pwsafe is using the tilt sensor from within your browser of choice? I ask as although I'm no developer I'm surprised that is possible at all given my understanding of how iOS sandboxes everything.

ref: OPI-2159

• krofan
    krofan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, sorry for my slow reply!
    Thanks for passing this on.
    I understand clipboard might not be very secure... I never really thought about it!

For 2. yes you are correct, it uses the tilt sensor from within my browser of choice to switch between password and username in the clipboard.

Thanks again for responding to my query.
    S.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @krofan‌, thanks for the clarification about that, we'll make sure to pass that to our developers.

I'm happy to hear the information from @littlebobbytables was helpful for you. If you need anything else, we're always glad to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.