1Password iOS Vault and password reverting back to old one

h3is7
h3is7
Community Member

Hi,

I apologise if this has been posted before, I've been trying to find a relevant post and although there seem to be some issues around master password syncing, I have not yet found one with this issue:

Currently I have 1Password on my Mac, iPad and iPhone. Most of the time it works fine, I use TouchID to unlock my apps and I type in my master password on my Mac.

Now... every now and then, TouchID on the iOS devices appears to stop working (on both at the same time, only in 1Password) when this has happened I've tried typing in my password manually, with no luck, only to discover that the master password that it would accept was my old one. When I unlock the vaults on my iOS devices it seems they are also old versions of the vaults, with less items than my up to date Mac vault.

The only solution I have found to this issue is to delete the apps from my iOS devices and reinstall them, reselecting iCloud as a source for vaults. Occasionally the iCloud vault is also overwritten with an old one, leaving me with the only solution of disabling sync, deleting iCloud data and re-syncing using my Mac Vault as source.

I would much appreciate a solution to this issue as most of the time it's my iOS devices that I have on me, not my Mac, and if this happened on a trip as it has done now, I'd find myself locked out of all my services until I get back to my Mac.

Thanks!!

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @h3is7‌

Just so I can better understand your situation.

Are you saying that if you were to delete 1Password for iOS from all of your iOS devices right now and purge iCloud of the sync data that even after all of that, 1Password on your iOS device is reverting to an old Master Password that simply shouldn't exist anywhere?

If you haven't I would suggest wiping all of your iOS devices as the only reason I can think this could possibly happen is if some copy of 1Password still knows the old Master Password and is writing it back to iCloud, maybe a device that doesn't get used very often?

Please do post back as it's a very odd case.

• JamesJM
    JamesJM
    Community Member

Same situation here except that I am syncing with Dropbox. 1Password on iMac, Macbook, iPhone, and iPad. I don't think the problem has occurred on my iMac, (not 100% sure) but with all the others it's becoming so frequent as to make 1Password annoying to use because of the time to reset... which means disabling sync then reestablishing sync which then requires a 'merge'... I haven't seen a way to not merge. I have deleted backups, even the primary vault from Dropbox, (saving it elsewhere, making sure it was current, then setting Dropbox once again) to no avail. The Macbook, iPhone, and iPad will revert to an older saved password and vault. - JamesJM

• It sure seems like one old copy is syncing back. Have you tried this:

1. On a Mac, with the latest copy, perform a backup. (just in case)
    2. Verify the Mac has the latest copy and the newest vault password is the one to open it.
    3. Go to each iOS device and launch 1Password.
    4. In Settings -> Advanced, tap "Erase Data and Settings" The app will quit.
    5. After performing the previous step on all iOS devices, relaunch 1Password on each iOS device and choose "Sync existing Vault"

Make sure you do step 3 and 4 on all iOS devices before doing step 5 on any of your iOS devices.

If that doesn't work then I can only think of two things that are happening:

1. You have another device (or user account on Mac) that is putting an old vault back on iCloud.
    2. Your iCloud data is not being erased when you performed the erase iCloud data option.

It certainly sounds like it's scenario 1. above.

Other than that, littlebobbytables' suggestion is drastic, but could work. Just make sure you have backups of all your iOS devices first!

• JamesJM
    JamesJM
    Community Member

hayesk, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go when I get the chance and report back. For now... I did delete a user account about the time this problem surfaced but it was a full erase... can't see how any remnant would still be alive. - JamesJM

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

@JamesJM when you say you deleted a user account you mean a user on your Mac right? That should indeed not result in anything being still alive there.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@JamesJM, please let us know how it works out for you. I hope it all goes well! :smiley:

This discussion has been closed.