Unable to access gmail

BrettBernstein
BrettBernstein
Community Member

Hello,

I'm a new user having issues with 1Password on my iPhone trying to access my gmail. I installed the MacOSX app and set a new password for gmail. After installing and syncing the iOS app, I went to change the password I have set for gmail on my phone to the one I created for gmail from my iMac. I'm getting an error message that the username/password are incorrect.

I confirmed that I can logout/login to gmail on my iMac via the credentials stored in 1Password. I then deleted the gmail account on my phone and recreated it from scratch. I'm seeing the same error message.

Has anyone else seen this issue with gmail?

Thank in advance,

Brett

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2014

Could you let us know how your are accessing Gmail? In the Mail program built into iOS? With the Gmail app you download from the iTunes App Store? Via the web interface?

I'm sure 1Password won't fill when you set up Gmail in the Mail application on the phone. If you are using the Gmail app, it would only accept logging in via 1Password if Google has inserted the needed code to communicate with 1Password. I don't know if they have done that. I can confirm that when I log in to my Gmail account via the web interface, 1Password does successfully insert my credentials. That is on an iPad. I have never been on the Gmail web interface on my iPhone, but I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work.

I hope there is a clue for you here. If not, ask again, with the information I suggested you supply. I may be confused about your question in any case.

Edit: for what it's worth, I downloaded the Gmail app and confirmed that it does not talk to 1Password directly.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

After installing and syncing the iOS app, I went to change the password I have set for gmail on my phone to the one I created for gmail from my iMac

I'm a bit confused by this. You say:

1. You installed the iOS app.
    2. You sync'd 1P on the iPhone (presumably with 1P on your Mac).
    3. You then manually changed the gmail password in 1P on your phone to the one you'd created on your Mac.

If I've understood correctly, why was step 3 necessary if you'd already carried out step 2? How did you sync the 1P data between your Mac and your iPhone?

Sorry if I've completely misunderstood the problem but I think a little more information will help us to help you.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BrettBernstein‌ I'm curious to see your response to hawkmoth's and Stephen_C's posts so we can better understand what is happening. Once we have a better idea we can start on the troubleshooting.

• BrettBernstein
    BrettBernstein
    Community Member

Hi everyone, Apologies for being very slow to respond to this thread. I was able to figure out the issue and then did not see your replies my question. I'm sorry for going not replying. The short version is that it was 'pilot-error' on my part. @Stephen_C is correct that step 3 wasn't necessary. In effect, step 3 was my mistake.

1Password is a fantastic app and all I can say is that I wish I had installed it years ago.

Thanks again for jumping in to help a newbie.

Cheers,

Brett

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

@BrettBernstein: No apology necessary! I'm just glad to hear that all is well. I sometimes make more work for myself by overthinking and complicating things like that too, so I'm in good company it seems. ;)

Thanks so much for the kind words, and just remember that we are always here if you need help in the future! :)

This discussion has been closed.