License / version confusion

Options
benjwa
benjwa
Community Member

Ok, I have tried searching the forums and site on tho stoic unsuccessfully, but this can't be that hard, so maybe I'm just a bit slow.

I use:

• 1 Password 4 (4.4.3, Agile web store version) on both a home Mac (Mac mini 2012) and 11" MacBook air (2014). Both are running Mavericks - waiting for a particular software upgrade before I switch to Yosemite.
  • Current App store version on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

I just bought my wife an iPhone 6 Plus (upgrade from an iPhone 4s - a key reason was the availability of Touch ID so my wife would use 1Password!), have installed the current App store version of 1Password (which I bought for her 4s but she never used) and I can't get her access via Dropbox sync to a vault I'm sharing from my account (nor, actually can I access it on my iPhone 5). I will deal with that issue separately, but I thought that one factor might be that I am using 1Password 4 and she has 1Password 5.

I have tried to upgrade to 1 Password 5 (which I think is free for previous 1 Password 4 users?) and it doesn't seem to allow me to do that. 1Password also reports (in response to "Check for Updates") that I am using the most recent version.

1. Do I have to be on Yosemite to install 1Password 5 on my Macs? (and will I see it as an upgrade option after I do that?)
  2. Do I have to be on 1Password 5 on the Mac before I can share a vault to my wife running 1Password 5 on iOS?

Thanks for advice / direction!

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I'll just answer your first numbered question.

1. Yes, Yosemite is required to use 1Password 5 on your Mac. When I first ran 1Password after installing Yosemite, I received an update notice from AgileBits, where I purchased my license. If yours is through the Apple Mac App Store, you'll an update notice in App Store app. You won't see the update notice before you install the new OS.

2. I don't want to mislead anyone about syncing issues, so I usually refrain from answering questions about that, but I don't think you need to have version 5 on the Mac in order to sync with version 5 on iOS.

• benjwa
    benjwa
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Hawkmoth. I'll work next on the syncing issue. Appreciate the information.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

The same data file aka keychain will work on 1Password version 3, version 4, and version 5 on the Mac. The earlier versions of 1Password just ignore the data that's stored in the keychain from the newer versions of 1Password. For example 1Password 5 and 1Password 4 can read the second url for a web site. 1Password 3 will ignore it because its not coded to look for it. Because quite literally it doesn't even know to look for it. I am sure as version 5 progresses there will be items that version 4 cannot read. But none comes to mind this moment.

You should be able to sync just fine 1Password 4 Mac, 1Password 5 Mac, to iOS version 4, & version 5. To my understanding the only issue that would affect that is iCloud. iCloud syncing needs version 5 across the board on Mac and iOS.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @benjwa‌

As I believe you have another thread going now about the agilekeychain used in Dropbox syncing I'm going to close this thread. If you need it re-opened though please do let me know by messaging me here on the forums.

This discussion has been closed.