What licenses would I need for my family?

Options
gctwnl
gctwnl
Community Member

We are with 4 (2 parents, 2 children) and Apple-infra (both OS X and various iOS machines). What do I need to make sure everybody can use 1Password and have the passwords available on their OS X accounts and their iOS devices?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

If you buy from Apple, you will be eligible for Family Sharing, which covers up to six family members in the same family group. You have to set up Family Sharing to make this work. Or, if you all use the same Apple ID for purchases from Apple, that will cover all of you. If you buy from the AgileBits web store, a single user license also permits you to install on up to six family members in the same household.

The iOS situation is more complicated. The basic version is free, but the Pro features are only available through an in-app purchase, and that isn't eligible, by Apple's choice, for Family Sharing. If you all use the same Apple ID for iTunes purchases, on buy will fix all of you up. Otherwise, you'll need a separate purchase for each user with a unique Apple ID.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gctwnl‌

I hope that hawkmoth's advice helped you out - he's spot on!

As for setting up 1Password to ensure that the passwords are synced to everyone's devices, have a look at our User Guides and Knowledgebase, which has a ton of great information about Sync, and Multiple Vaults (which is a great way to share some items while keeping your personal data private), and many other great topics.

• Julio Lujan
    Julio Lujan
    Community Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi.

I have a question.
    I would like to set up 1password for me and my wife.
    We have 1 mac, 1 ipad and 2 iphones.
    We are already set as family for sharing purposes on apple.

In the Mac we have 2 users either with their own apple id. I guess each account will count as 1 user, right?

In this case, can she create her own vault with her own master password?
    what if we want to share a vault? can we see it on the iOS app? do we need to purchase the pro features?

Otherwise, if we would like to have just one vault for both of us.... can we do it in all of our devices? even when we have different apple id's?

Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Julio Lujan

No matter where you purchase 1Password from the licence is about running 1Password and unrelated to vaults.

So if you want you can have your own personal vaults with separate Master Passwords, you can share a single vault or you can mix the two, a shared secondary vault and personal primary ones.

• If you want personal primary vaults you can use iCloud (or Dropbox) to sync those with between your own iOS devices and OS X user accounts.
    • If you want a single primary vault shared over all accounts and devices then you will want to use Dropbox because of the individual Apple IDs (no sharing possible between iCloud accounts - sorry)
    • If you want personal primary vaults and a shared secondary vault you can sync the primary either via iCloud or Dropbox but the secondary has to be shared using Dropbox.

Let us know which is your preferred setup and we can help you through the required steps.

• Julio Lujan
    Julio Lujan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, i have just bought the Mac version from your web store, but i could find the iCloud sync option. I didn't know that it wasn't available on your web site version (only in the App Store). How can i do?
    i don't want to use dropbox.
    Please let me know.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Julio Lujan

I sincerely apologize for the confusion here. iCloud sync is only available for apps purchased directly from the Mac App Store, so we are unable to offer it in the webstore version of 1Password. Since you just bought 1Password from us, I'd be happy to refund the purchase price so that you can purchase from the Mac App Store. Let me know if this option works for you.

ref: 797527

This discussion has been closed.