Multiple vaults a farce??

phyllis
phyllis
Community Member

I can not get this to work. Using Dropbox and iPhone 6/IOS 8. It puts me into a death spiral, indicating that Dropbox is already on the device. Huh? The instructions make this sound so easy!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @phyllis,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've having trouble here. Unfortunately, I'll need to know a bit more detail about the situation in order to get this straightened out for you. It is helpful if you can include such details as:

• What are the version numbers of both 1Password and your operating systems for all computers and devices currently running 1Password?
    • What are the steps that you are taking? (You can also include specific User Guide instructions that you are following)
    • What do you expect to happen?
    • What actually happens?

Once we know a little bit more about where things are getting tangled up, we can get things working properly!

• phyllis
    phyllis
    Community Member

Hi and thank you for replying - I can't locate the version number for the pro version of 1password, but I downloaded it from the Apps store yesterday onto my brand new iPhone 6 Plus, which has has ISO version 8.1.2, and then also downloaded Dropbox onto my MacBook Air, which is OS X version 10.9.5.

I following the steps to create a second vault that were indicated in the instructions in the app, using Dropbox for syncing. It created the second vault, but it just copied the first - I was able to delete the login info that it copied from the first vault, but it seems like my options for dealing with this second vault are limited. How do I rename it? How do I share it with family member, giving them access to only that vault and not my primary?

In trying to answer these Qs for myself, I went to the apps store via my Macbook Air, and found the 1Password app there, but for $49.99. I paid $9.99 for my mobile version, but do I need the full version to actually get the functionality? That seems wrong, given the share functionality was indicated in the mobile version.

Can you help me figure out how to get this working? I need to share access with my 87 year old mom, so I can help manage things like her bank passwords!

Thank you!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @phyllis‌

Unfortunately you do need the desktop version of 1Password to create secondary vaults. Now if all you want to do is create a secondary vault and then use it on your iOS device you could make use of the 30 day trial period, create the vault and then remove 1Password from your desktop. I realise it's a little clunky but it would work. I apologise if our wording caused confusion.

We are slowly bringing all the different platforms into sync in terms of features, it's just it will take a little while to do so.

Here's how to Create a new vault and then how to Share a vault. That sharing guide by the way does include links to a Dropbox guide on how to share a folder between two Dropbox users if you aren't sharing a single Dropbox account with your mum. Having done that this is how you would add a vault to an iOS device although you may already know this bit.

As I said earlier in this post, sorry for the confusion caused but if you need any help following any of those guides do let us know. Of course you might find after a while that owning 1Password for Mac may be handy but certainly you aren't obliged. Personally I came the other way, I used 1Password on my Mac and wanted the companion app so my passwords were everywhere I was.

Let us know if that helps.

This discussion has been closed.