New features

hardcorefs
hardcorefs
Community Member

Hi Guys,
I'm a sys admin at a large multi-national company.... about 7,000 staff, and looking for a number of features from your PW program to make it more suitable for business use. ( consider all the PWd's I have to manage....., VPN, router,gateway, switch,rack systems,desktops,tablets, hosting accounts...etc....)

Needed:
1. Be able to setup a number complete and separate profiles ( personal/business)for PW's inside the 1PW (folders are nice don't cut it because you can list all the data together, and in my case that is a MASSIVE list to troll through.
2. MASTER key that would allow any pw's saved on a WORK computer using 1password to be unlocked by said key ( like file vault)
3. Be able to distribute an encrypted 'profile' file ( using public/privatekeys) to staff/ junior admins, to be loaded into a 'profile' in (1) ( really useful when I have to update all the system PW once a month, but distribute the list securely to the relevant people, would also cover being able to write out a backup-file for offsite stuff)

Nice:
4. Be able to record 'scripts' to change pwd's on firewalls/switches etc....
5. Be able to configure 'clients' to 'relay' encrypted PW files back to a central server INSIDE the company.

Because when you consider the above points, then you are looking at corporate integration of a workforce with some significant license counts, especially the ability to validate the strengths of pwd's being used by users for external connections.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hardcorefs‌

Thanks so much for considering 1Password for keeping your company's data secure and organized! It sounds to me like the feature that is going to help you out the most is Multiple Vaults. 1Password's multiple vaults feature allows you to organize and selectively share information with co-workers and family, so you can share only what needs to be shared, and keep your personal data private.

1. Be able to setup a number complete and separate profiles ( personal/business)for PW's inside the 1PW (folders are nice don't cut it because you can list all the data together, and in my case that is a MASSIVE list to troll through.

In a company situation, 1Password's multiple vaults feature allows you to create (for example) an 'executive' vault with the higher security passwords for the bigwigs in the company, and an 'employee' vault that includes data that the entire company needs access to. Each vault can be organized with tags or folders to make your massive list less trolly and more searchable. :)

1. MASTER key that would allow any pw's saved on a WORK computer using 1password to be unlocked by said key ( like file vault)

With 1Password, you'll use the Master Password to unlock the app. All passwords will then be stored inside 1Password and can be accessed or filled in on websites by unlocking with the Master Password.

1. Be able to distribute an encrypted 'profile' file ( using public/privatekeys) to staff/ junior admins, to be loaded into a 'profile' in (1) ( really useful when I have to update all the system PW once a month, but distribute the list securely to the relevant people, would also cover being able to write out a backup-file for offsite stuff)

You can distribute the 1Password vault with the necessary password information to staff using a sync service like Dropbox or Folder Sync. Of course, the datafile is encrypted before it is shared. You can read all about 1Password's security in our Knowledgebase: Secure by Design.

1. Be able to record 'scripts' to change pwd's on firewalls/switches etc....

At this time, 1Password isn't able to automatically change passwords - but it's a great idea, I'll let our developers know!

1. Be able to configure 'clients' to 'relay' encrypted PW files back to a central server INSIDE the company.

1Password is a consumer-based product at this time, so we don't deal with things in terms of clients and servers. But as I mentioned above, we do have options to sync 1Password vaults so that you can ensure everyone always has access to the latest version of the 1Password data.

I hope that this helps to answer your questions, but if we can be of any further assistance, we're here for you!

• hardcorefs
    hardcorefs
    Community Member

... missed the points completely......

Vaults are not usable for this purpose... otherwise I would already have utilized them instead of asking for extra features.
    think corporate COC ( chain of custody)
    and I need a 'master pw' for the 'master pw' same as apple allows where I can enter an overriding pw to recover a macbook/tablet if the user has 'run off'

Ultimately this only affect the companies I consult for(I cannot recommend your product as a corporate solution)... and by default your license orders.....

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hardcorefs‌

Sadly, at the moment (and immediate future) our product probably isn't going to match your enterprise needs. Your requirements are quite a shift from where 1Password currently is and represent a significant change in direction. Who knows what the future will bring (I say that as somebody who didn't think he'd be starting 2015 working for such a great company) but if your needs are immediate or short-term then I think we have to face the fact that 1Password isn't geared for that scenario. I shall make a note of your requirements although I suspect they really just scrape the surface of what an enterprise version would need to do.

This discussion has been closed.