Help - 1Password is no longer syncing between my devices

Options
kristivg13
kristivg13
Community Member

I recently upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 8.1.1 and my MacBookPro to OS X Yosemite in late November. I have 1Password installed on both and they had been syncing via iCloud just fine since the time I bought my Mac in early 2014. I just noticed yesterday, however, that they are no longer syncing. The 1Password version currently on my iPhone is 5.1.2. Up until yesterday the version of 1Password running on my Mac was 1Password 4. Yesterday, when I noticed the non-syncing problem I upgraded to 1Password 5, thinking that might fix the problem. As a result, I received a message after I installed 1Password 5, that if I wanted to continue to Sync via iCloud that I needed to convert to 1Password 5 from the Apple App store, which I did, thinking that would help. That still did not help.

I don't know just when the non-syncing situation started because I don't often use 1Password on my Mac. But what I noticed yesterday was that a password I changed in 1Password on my iPhone (which is my primary device that I input information into 1Password) in early December is not up to date in my Mac.

I don't have my iPhone on iCloud Drive because I would prefer to not save documents that are on the Mac in the cloud--I would rather have them backed up on my backup drive and not in the cloud. Additionally, I have an iPod 4 that has the most up to date operating software possible for it and I would like to sync the 1Password on that device with the 1Password data on the other two devices. I understand my iPod 4 is NOT able to use iCloud drive as it is too old.

So how can I fix the non-syncing problem without having to use iCloud drive? Can I still sync via iCloud? I would prefer to sync via iCloud and not Dropbox or WiFi. Also, I am not too tech savvy, so please make any instructions easy for me to follow. :-)

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kristivg13‌

Thanks so much for providing such a detailed description of your situation! I am sorry to hear that you've been frustrated with 1Password and iCloud lately. The changes to iCloud that Apple made between iOS 7/OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and iOS 8/OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) have caused a fair bit of confusion for a lot of users. I'll do my best to explain what's up.

The 1Password version currently on my iPhone is 5.1.2. Up until yesterday the version of 1Password running on my Mac was 1Password 4.

Because of the design changes to iCloud, 1Password 4 for Mac is not able to sync via iCloud with 1Password 5 for iOS, so you did the right thing by updating to 1Password 5 for Mac via the Mac App Store.

I don't have my iPhone on iCloud Drive because I would prefer to not save documents that are on the Mac in the cloud--I would rather have them backed up on my backup drive and not in the cloud.

Now, for iCloud sync to work between 1Password 5 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS, you do need to have iCloud Drive enabled on your devices. This doesn't mean that you have to store documents in iCloud - that will always be your choice, but iCloud Drive does need to be enabled for 1Password to use iCloud to sync.

Once you enable iCloud Drive, you should be able to get your devices synced up.

Additionally, I have an iPod 4 that has the most up to date operating software possible for it and I would like to sync the 1Password on that device with the 1Password data on the other two devices. I understand my iPod 4 is NOT able to use iCloud drive as it is too old.

Unfortunately, if you have an older device that cannot upgrade to iOS 8 and the new iCloud, you will not be able to sync that device to your newer devices using iCloud. 'New' iCloud and 'old' iCloud just don't talk to each other. There are two options here:

• Switch to a more flexible sync solution like Dropbox, or Wi-Fi Sync for all your devices.
    • Continue to use iCloud on your newer devices, and then use Wi-Fi simply to sync to your older iPod.

Please let me know how enabling iCloud Drive goes. If you're still having trouble with iCloud after doing so, please let me know and we'll investigate further.

• kristivg13
    kristivg13
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your information. Here is a message I posted on Apple Forums just after I received your message:

"If I upgrade to iCloud Drive on my iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro will my iPod Touch 4's Apple Apps like Calendar, Notes, Reminders & Contact no long be able to sync with my other devices? My iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro are both up to date with the latest operating systems that are compatible with iCloud Drive. My iPod Touch, however, is using iOS 6.1.6 and can't be upgraded higher than that--so it is not able to use iCloud Drive."

I haven't received a reply yet from anyone on the Apple Forum. Perhaps you might know the answer??? I'm not sure I would want to switch to iCloud Drive if I can't sync my iPod Touch at all to my Calendar, Contacts, Notes and Reminders. If that is the case, then I might decide to use Dropbox or WiFi Sync for all the devices. On the other hand, if my Apple apps will still sync when I switch to iCloud Drive, then I will opt for your suggestion to use iCloud Drive for the newer devices and Wi-Fi to sync my iPod Touch.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kristivg13‌

My hunch is these shouldn't be affected by iCloud Drive as iCal, Notes and Reminders use CalDAV and Contacts use CardDAV.

Having just finished deleting the mess it caused I can at least confirm it works on a Mavericks machine which like iOS 7 and below can't work with iCloud Drive. A definitive answer involving an iOS 7 (or lower) device would be handy at this point but I don't possess one I'm afraid.

If you have any doubts at all though Dropbox is a safe bet.

• kristivg13
    kristivg13
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for all the information. I confirmed with Apple that my older iPod will still be able to sync the Apple Apps even when I move my other devices to iCloud Drive.
    My next question now is that when I try to do this, I get a window that says the version on my Mac doesn't match with my version on my iPhone. The window calls the 1Password version on my Mac as the Primary and asks if I want to merge it. The most up to date version of 1Password is on my iPhone. I have changed some of the logins passwords that are on both devices and I made the changes on my iPhone. If I tell the computer to go ahead and merge, will it use the most up to date version or might it use the version on the Primary? Another worry is that it says the last time my other version was updated was in 1969, which, of course, concerns me because these things didn't even exist in 1969!!!! Help! :-)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kristivg13,

You can go ahead and choose to merge. That simply means it will compare the 1Password vaults on your Mac and in iCloud and keep the newest copies of all the records. 1Password will never delete data, unless you specifically choose to delete it yourself. In the worst case scenario, 1Password will have no idea of how to line up the two sets of data and you'll end up with some duplicate entries, but nothing will be deleted.

The 1969 timestamp is a bug which should be fixed in the update we released yesterday (1Password 5.1 for Mac). You can try installing the update before re-enabling the sync, but even if you still see that incorrect year, it shouldn't cause a problem.

Let us know how it all goes! :)

This discussion has been closed.