Cannot install 1P on iPod. Requires new version software (?)

Ayara Nidajat
Ayara Nidajat
Community Member

Hello and thanks for reading this.
To make a story short I will start and finish from the end :smile::
Trying to install 1P 5.1.2 in my daughter's iPod touch 4 gen running IOS 6.1.6 (10B500).
Getting the following message: The app "1Password" was not installed on the iPod "xxxx's ipod" because it requires a new version of iPod software.
There is no newer software. Tried to update (although I know there is none) message "Software up to date".

I have exactly the same iPod (only difference, mine is 64GB and her's 32GB) and 1P 5.1.2 runs perfectly with the same IOS version.

Tried different ways, checked and double checked all kind of things, restarted and reset iPod/laptop and all I came up with is... a hole in my head from scratching the same spot for a loooooong time.... :smile:.

I guess I'm missing something, no idea what. Plz ask me any question needed.

Any help will be appreciated.
AN

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I may have misunderstood something but 1P5 for iOS requires iOS 8 so this:

my daughter's iPod touch 4 gen running IOS 6.1.6 (10B500)

and this together

I have exactly the same iPod (only difference, mine is 64GB and her's 32GB) and 1P 5.1.2 runs perfectly with the same IOS version.

don't sound right to me. I think you must be running iOS 8 on your iPod if you're running 1P5 for iOS on it. However, only the iPod touch 5th generation supports iOS 8 so I wonder if in fact your and your daughter's iPods may not in fact be quite the same as you think. Is that possible?

Stephen

• Ayara Nidajat
    Ayara Nidajat
    Community Member

Hi Stephen.
    Thanks for your reply.
    It sounds right and it makes sense to me. (I also thought so, but I saw that what I have in my iTunes library is the 1Password 5.1.2.ipa so I thought that's the one installed). I am driving out of town tonight for a couple days, when I will be back I'll check that out and will get back to you.
    Again, thanks for your help.
    AN

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Ayara Nidajat,

I'm glad Stephen_C's reply was helpful! I wanted to mention that the version of 1Password shown in iTunes isn't necessarily the same as the version you have installed on the device. To check the version you have installed on your iPod, open 1Password and go to Settings, then look for the version number near the bottom of that screen (right under Recommend 1Password).

Also, although you won't be able to install version 5 on an iOS 6 device, there is a workaround to install version 4. Please see this post for specific steps to do that. If you have questions about that, please let us know. Thanks!

• Ayara Nidajat
    Ayara Nidajat
    Community Member

Hi Stephen and Drew_AG. Thanks a lot for your input!
    Sorry it took me awhile to get back to the forum.
    Of course you were right! :chuffed:
    With the help of the post you pointed me to and what others said I solved the problem.
    Just in case it can be of some help to someone else, here is what I did:

Erased the app from iPod.
    In her iPod signed out from her account (in Preferences->Apple Store) and signed in with my user name and password.
    When I then tried to download the 1P app from the AS in her iPod, it told me this is a version that requires IOS 8, but I can download an earlier version.
    I clicked on “Download” and “Install”.
    It installed the app in my daughter’s iPod.
    In Preferences->Apple Store I signed out and signed in again with my daughter’s user name and password.
    Double clicked the 1P icon. Clicked on “I’m already using 1P” (or something like it) and chose dropbox and the rest went smooth.
    So, again, thanks for your help, very much appreciated.
    AN

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! I'm glad to hear it all worked out and you were able to install 1Password on her iPod. Thanks for letting us know the details.

If you need anything else, just let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.