How do I delete Vaults? & other questions

Pagan
Pagan
Community Member

So I created some vaults for testing purposes that I don't need anymore. Do I simply delete the [...].opvault / [...].agilekeychain files (technically folders)? I tried that and it did indeed seem to reset 1Password, it's showing the "Welcome to 1Password" screen now when I'm running the program. Also, is it safe to create an .opvault file? I read that it's the newer format and since I'm planning to create a new vault with hundreds of login infos it'd be very unfortunate if those were gone after some update.

The way I understand 1Password is that it all revolves around the vault files right? I could copy it onto a USB stick, plug it into another pc (that has 1Password installed), move it into the right folder and open it via 1Password (and my password of course).

Another thing I noticed after deleting all my vaults is when I tried to recover them via backup it only recreated the .agilekeychain file. Aren't .opvaults backed up automatically as well?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Yes, you can simply delete the opvault and agilekeychain folders to delete a vault. Not that if the vault is in a Dropbox folder at the time you delete it then it will also be remove from Dropbox and subsequently any other devices linked to that Dropbox account.

The opvault format is the new replacement for the agilekeychain format but it is not fully supported yet. For example, Android does not read or write it at all yet. Until there's a formal support annoucement, I'd stick with agilekeychain.

The way I understand 1Password is that it all revolves around the vault files right? I could copy it onto a USB stick, plug it into another pc (that has 1Password installed), move it into the right folder and open it via 1Password (and my password of course).

On Windows, yes. Just remember that if you also use Mac, iOS or Android that they do not work the same way.

Another thing I noticed after deleting all my vaults is when I tried to recover them via backup it only recreated the .agilekeychain file. Aren't .opvaults backed up automatically as well?

The auto-backup only backs up the currently open vault. 1Password for Windows only ever has one vault open at a time. I can't speak directly as to whether opvaults are backed up, but I would expect so, so long as they are the active vault at the time the backup runs.

• Nizque
    Nizque
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Richard, I don't understand.
    I have a primary vault and a second vault (created for test purpose, now empty) I now want to delete. I sync via Dropbox and have a "1Password.agilekeychain" file there. But how do I remove the extra vault? I do not want to remove my primary vault.

TIA/Niklas

Ps. Oh, I see now that this is in Windows thread. Sorry. I'm running 1password on MacOSX (10.10), if that makes any difference...

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015

@Nizque, I'm moving this thread to the 1Password for Mac forum, as the situation is quite different with 1Password for Mac, because it has an internal database, whereas 1Password for Windows uses the Dropbox-synced folder directly (with no internal database).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Nizque‌

1Password on Macs and Windows are indeed very different. Lets see if I can address some of your questions.

1. If you only have a 1Password.agilekeychain then you aren't currently syncing your secondary vault so we don't have that to worry about. Syncing for each vault has to be set up separately but it does mean you can sync only the vaults you want to and can select which option you want for each.
    2. To delete a vault, simply switch to the vault in question so it is active and the in the 1Password drop down menu you should fine a Delete xxxx Vault... option. That's all you need to do to have it deleted from the internal sqlite file that represents your vaults.

Now to your question of moving your vault around. With 1Password 3 for Mac the .agilekeychain was your vault. Delete that and you deleted your vault. This still holds true of 1Password for Windows I believe but I'm no expert on that platform. As of 1Password 4 for Mac though we've moved to using an encrypted sqlite database file to store all of your vaults on your Mac, the exact location being dependent on whether you purchased 1Password from us or Apple's Mac App Store (MAS). So the purpose of either the .agilekeychain or .opvault is now just for syncing - with 1Password 4 or 5 you can delete these and not harm your actual vault. In fact sometimes the easiest way to sort out a sync issue is to delete the old sync data and create it anew.

Now we still default to the .agilekeychain format for the moment as not all versions of 1Password understand the .opvault format but if you are only syncing copies of 1Password 4 or 5 on either a Mac, iOS device or Windows machine then you can use the .opvault format. There isn't a GUI switch to do so though but with the correct guidance it can be done. For the moment we don't keep this public to avoid people damaging something given it involves use of a Terminal.

I think I've covered your questions but if you have any further ones or I've not answered something to your satisfaction please do let us know.

This discussion has been closed.