1Password doesn't fill in Cisco's VPN Client

Options
bobbo5
bobbo5
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Has anyone figured out how to make 1Password work with AnyConnect. The initial screen does have two fields that need to be filled in: 1) for your UserName and 2) for your complex password. It is so bad that I will never remember this one and I need 1Password to do the work for me.
Can anyone help me out with this one?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bobbo5,

Have you tried Saving a New Login Manually? This usually ensures that 1Password learns which fields to fill with which data. If this doesn't work, let us know the URL that's giving you trouble.

On second reading, your title mentions the mobile client. You've posted in the 1Password for Mac forum, so the above guide entry will discuss saving a Login on the Mac. If you're referring to an app on your iOS device, 1Password won't be able to fill this automatically (unless the app in question has added support for our awesome new app extension.) The workflow then would be to open 1Password, find your CISCO Login and swipe across the item in the list view to reveal the 'Copy password' button. Then switch back to the app and paste your long and complicated password into the correct field.

I hope this helps, but if you have further questions, we're here for you!

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member
    Options

The name of that app is actually "Mobility Client", not "Mobile Client". I use the same VPN client on Windows 8. 1Password correctly detects the window (I added the URL manually via Ctrl-clicking), but does not fill in the credentials on Ctrl+\. It is not a mobile app.

• Ben
    Options

@DarkStar,

Thanks for the additional information.

1Password on Mac does not fill or save from applications that are not web browsers. It only saves and fills into web pages. You can of course use it to store all sorts of secure info, likely including the credentials for your VPN client, but you'd need to copy & paste the information out.

Thanks!

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I think I need to cross-post this report in the Windows forum. ;)

• LauraR
    edited April 2015
    Options

@bobbo5 and @DarkStar - I have moved this discussion to the Windows forum. We have a great article explaining how to use non-web browser logins here. Does this help?

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member
    Options

@LauraR Not really. It works for example in OpenVPN client, but not in this Cisco client. Pressing Ctrl+\ just gives the Windows sound when it can't do anything and the password is not filled.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @DarkStar,

It is possible that Cisco is manually taking that shortcut and doesn't do anything with it, that's why you heard the sound. That means 1Password may not have gotten the call to fill.

One way to confirm this is to bypass the shortcut and manually tell 1Password to fill in the Cisco client. Try this:

1. Focus the username field in the Cisco client
    2. Switch to the main 1Password application, go to Logins, find your Cisco item you want to fill, select it in the items list, and then press the large Auto-Type button on the 1Password toolbar.
    3. Select the Cisco client window to auto-type your data in

Does this work?

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Sadly, it does not work. Doing that there is no sound at all and nothing happens. 1Password sees the Cisco Mobility Client window, but does not fill in the credentials.

I don't know why "IBM" is in this thread's subject, maybe the original poster uses it at IBM? I am talking about this software package from Cisco. It looks like it can be downloaded from here.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

it can be downloaded from here.

@DarkStar I want to reproduce the problem, but I'm having a hard time downloading the software. Here are my steps:

1. Click on: Download Software
    2. Click on: AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client v4.x

The website now presents me with a long list of downloads. Which one should I pick? Thanks!

• DarkStar
    DarkStar
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch I am using version 3.1.07021. I did not download it from their website, it was installed on my machine via a web installer provided by a client of mine (they use it in their organization). Obviously, I can't give you access to that... The same version is available under Most Popular downloads on that page, there's two downloads - for 3.x and 4.x, take the first one.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @DarkStar,

Unfortunately, we can't download anything. They require you to have a valid contract for your Cisco.com account before you can download.

So, it looks like we won't be able to test it ourselves, which makes it difficult to figure out how to fix it. I'm not sure if there's a tool we can send you to collect information about how the window is presented, I'll look into that.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT have you approached them. Given the circumstance they might consider giving you a license for testing.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @RichardPayne,

No, that is a good idea and we'll try that. I'll ask our @AlexHoffmann to try reaching out to them if he can get us a testing account with a valid contract.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.