Russian language in 1Password for Windows [Not supported at the moment]

Options
timoha25
timoha25
Community Member

Hi.
When you see a Russian language in your program! And in browser extention too?
Thank you!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your comment, @timoha25‌.

We're aware of the interest in non-English versions, and we're committed to adding the foundation on which they can be created as soon as possible, but I'm not aware of any resources dedicated to that effort at this time.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

• timoha25
    timoha25
    Community Member
    Options

Why don't we translate this program into Russia manually just by changing the dictionary file?
    It seems to me that it is the fastest solution for users who don't know English
    Could we Incorporate information by Drobox and iCloud?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Support within the 1Password source code for the use of a "dictionary file" or similar mechanism is part of "the foundation on which [non-English versions] can be created." That's the work to which no resources have yet been dedicated.

Thanks again for letting us know that a Russian interface would be of interest to you, @timoha25‌!

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member
    Options

Hello DBrown.

I can tell that timoha25 is definitely not the only person who is waiting for russian localisation.

Being an IT admin, as of now I still have to use Roboform for all russian speaking users on Windows. Being able to install/promote 1Passwords to all users on both Windows and OS X would be great. It is just very hard to convert anybody once they have got accustomed to some app. The frustration of learning something new and shifting saved data is just frustrating for most users. Also, of course, once licence is purchased for one app, shifting to a new one and paying for another licence is out of question. People rely on my advice. Today missing russian language support on 1Password for Windows is the only thing preventing me recommending this app to a lot of users.

Just saw that in recent Windows beta updates quite a few localisations have been added. Hope russian language will follow soon too.

Thank you for the support.

BR,
    Ivan

• Hi Ivan,

We're working on the Russian localisation of 1Password 4 for Windows. As of now the UI hasn't been completely translated into Russian.
    If you're interested in helping, we're always grateful for people who are willing to spend some time translating our apps.

https://crowdin.com/project/1password-for-windows-desktop/ru
    If you follow this link and create a free account at crowdin.com, you can take a crack at it.

We're trying to bring as many languages to the programme as quickly as we can.

Cheers!

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I've approved and corrected just page one for russian translation. There are still more to come.

The thing is however: I believe that Agilebits should either pay professional translators to do the job, or at least provide bonuses to the people who are spending their time doing it.

As it now stands, people like me:

• pay for licences to use 1Password (new and upgrades)
    • bring new paying customers on board
    • spend our own time for nothing to allow 1Password reach new markets (such as the case with translation)

Overall - the policy of 'please come and translate our software for us' just looks really poor to me.

For example, a small company Pagico for such help offers lifetime licence for the software on computer and mobile device.

Anybody feel the same way that I do?

• MikeT
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @Ivan_K,

We do sometime use paid translators but most of the time, it did not result into the same quality we can get from our users who uses 1Password daily. The main reason is that many of the paid services do not use 1Password daily and when they translate certain things, it doesn't come out correct because it was not contextual to what 1Password is doing. Our amazing Dutch community were able to translate 1Password in hours each time we add a new program to the translation project and often is high quality.

Crowdsourcing can often do a much better job by involving a community of users than one paid translator.

A lot of major companies do crowdsourcing translations as well, Twitter for an example.

We do provide free license to translators who need it and would work on translations, we are a bit strict about this because many folks have tried to join the project and didn't do anything, so we have to limit this carefully.

Update: We're removing support for Russian in our latest betas, there were a lot of issues with the UI as it doesn't support unicode fully yet. We'll restore it in the future.

This discussion has been closed.