What is 1Password for iOS good for?

bre
bre
Community Member

I don't mean to be critical, but I have no idea how to use 1Password on my iPhone or iPad.

Is it for opening websites in Safari? Is it for logging into apps that require a password?

Please let me know what it can do and the most efficient set up.

I really want to use it, but, quite honestly, I regret the purchase.

Thank you

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Is it for opening websites in Safari?

Yes—if you enable the Safari 1P extension.

Is it for logging into apps that require a password?

Yes, with a little copying and pasting (unless it's an app which supports the 1P extension, in which case things are a little simpler like with Safari).

However, that's not all. I have 1P on my Mac and have added to it things like scans of my passport and travel insurance. I sync those to my phone and iPad so that I have the details with me if I ever need them when I travel.

I'm sure others will point out many more uses for 1P for iOS, but personally I would not be without it.

Stephen

• bre
    bre
    Community Member

I have never heard of any of those apps, and I never use Safari on the iPhone, so basically 1Password is useless for iOS.

• littleluce
    littleluce
    Community Member

It's meant as a tool for you to have your passwords with you. Since I use it to store all of my passwords, it's handy for me when I need to login to one of my accounts when I'm away from my primary computer. The feature that I use the most is copying passwords so that I can log into other apps/services on my phone itself

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I never use Safari on the iPhone

Neither do I. I use the excellent iCab Mobile browser—which also supports 1P. ;)

so basically 1Password is useless for iOS

Clearly that's your view but I do find it quite surprising that the portability of your vault of passwords, secure notes, bank account details, etc., is not important to you. It certainly is to me—but our views obviously differ. I just think you'd be able to get a lot more out of 1P for iOS if you consider more of what it can do as people have indicated already in this thread.

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I rely on having 1Password on my iPhone and iPad so that I have access to all of the data stored there when I'm away from my desktop. Sometimes that can be for weeks at a time. It's worth the price to me for that alone.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bre,

I hope the other responses here have been helpful! 1Password is good for a lot of things, although it really depends on whether it meets your own particular needs. Primarily, 1Password is an app you can use to securely store your private data, such as passwords, credit card, bank accounts, and many other things.

The iOS version of 1Password also includes features to help you use your data in other apps - like the Safari extension, and an extension that other third party developers can support in their own apps. 1Password also has its own built-in web browser, which we call 1Browser. If you need to log into a different app which doesn't support the 1Password extension, you can copy and paste from the 1Password app. Simply find your Login item in 1Password, then tap on the username or password and choose Copy. Then you can switch back to the other app and paste it.

If you're interested in learning more about how to use 1Password for iOS, please take a look at our User Guide.

If you have more questions or need help, we're here for you! :)

• bre
    bre
    Community Member

The Mac version is good. I love it. The iPhone and iPad are basically useless.

• I'm sorry to hear the iOS app does not fit into your workflow. If you have suggestions, we'd be happy to hear them.

• hkaplan131
    hkaplan131
    Community Member

I think the iOS version would be more useful on the iPad as using Safari there is much easier to use. On the iPhone I rarely use Safari and not usually on sites where a password is needed. All of the sites that require passwords on my iPhone have dedicated apps that are not supported by 1Password. There is only one App I use (Downcast) out of about 20 that is supported directly from 1Password for iOS. The OS X version is a different story with it being very useful as it goes way beyond just password storage.

• Hi @hkaplan131,

Unfortunately that is a limitation of iOS itself. We don't have the ability to simply "plug in" to any app that we want. 3rd party app developers must add support for 1Password (and other password managers). We have a blog post on this available here:

https://blog.agilebits.com/2014/07/30/introducing-the-1password-app-extension-for-ios-8-apps/

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.