Background Sync

Options
littleluce
littleluce
Community Member

Based on my use of the 1Password app for iOS, I don't think it currently supports this feature, but it would be very useful in a variety of situations. I often use my computer to create new logins that are stored in 1Password, but I may forget to open the app on my phone for them to sync down to my device when I'm on the go, leaving the search empty when I open the app extension for example.

I understand there may be security concerns for some users with background sync enabled, but would it at least be possible to have the app check for changes when the extension is called from other apps?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @littleluce,

Thanks for your suggestion! My understanding is that it's possible for the 1Password extension to trigger a sync, but because the extension is typically only used for a few seconds at a time (and closes as soon as it's dismissed), the sync would have to complete during those few seconds, which isn't always possible.

It certainly seems like a good idea though (at least in theory) so I'd be happy to send that feedback to our developers. Thanks again! :)

• littleluce
    littleluce
    Community Member
    Options

If I open the 1password extension and its blank, but I saw a syncing indicator, I would leave it open long enough to finish because I would need the info it's fetching

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good point! That certainly seems reasonable to me. I can't make any promises of course, but I'll make sure this gets passed along to our developers.

• LoneStarX
    LoneStarX
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Yes, I've discovered this issue too because I work where I have no internet access to my mobile phone. So, if I do not remember to open the app before I leave the house and get to work, then I won't have the most recent password database. This has bitten me several times. But it was misleading that you can turn on "Background App Refresh" for 1Password in iOS setup when it really isn't doing anything. Why have that option available?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LoneStarX,

As Drew mentions above, "Background App Refresh" is available for 1Password for iOS, and it should work just fine for the main app. The extension, however, is where things get tricky. Because the extension is only open briefly, even if it triggers a sync, the sync might not complete before the extension is dismissed.

• littleluce
    littleluce
    Community Member
    Options

If 1Password was syncing in the background, then the extension would already be updated when I try to use it. However, I have often opened the extension through Safari trying to login, but it's blank because the main app hasn't been updated.

I have the background app refresh on for 1Password, but this is still happening, so does it actually sync in the background?

• MikeT
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi guys,

Background App Refresh is limited to the Dropbox sync only and can only work for main app, the extension itself doesn't have any data to refresh. Wi-Fi sync only occurs when 1Password is unlocked on both side in the same network and iCloud only syncs when the main app is opened at the moment.

Unlocking the extension does not start the sync process, only the main app can do that. There's only so much extensions and main apps can do in the background.

The main app must be opened in order to refresh the database. Keep in mind that while the data is pulled in in the background, the main app must open to import the changes. The code for the background app refresh must be lightweight, it can't do much to impact the battery life.

We basically use background app refresh to download the files from Dropbox to put it in the local storage. The next time you open the main app, it will be imported in the database.

This discussion has been closed.