Discovered incorrect/outdated data in 1Password....

Options
kda
kda
Community Member

Just tried to buy something on my ipad using cc data kept in 1Password, but my credit card data was rejected. This was a card that was changed from Mastercard to Visa several months ago, and I had already updated the info in 1Password. In fact, I've used the data from 1Password to make online purchases many times since the change, without a problem.

Went and got my purse to verify the data, and 1Password has my verification code wrong.

I hit Edit, scroll down to the Verification Code field, and mysteriously, the code that appears in that field is correct. So I cancel the edit and hit Reveal on the code to see it again, and it's once again the old, outdated code. What the hell?

So I go into Edit again, and even though the number that appears is once again correct, I delete it anyway and retype the correct code and hit Save.

Click on reveal, and it's still the old, incorrect code.

1. No matter what I do, I cannot get the current, correct data to appear.
  2. How many other credit cards, bank accounts, login data, etc. in 1Password are incorrect, and at what inconvenient time will I discover these errors? There are many things in 1Password that I access only occasionally. My whole life is in here, and I need to be able to trust the data.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kda,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password. That is certainly an odd error! Let's get a bit more detail here to see if we can track this down:

• What is the version number of 1Password, and your operating system? (Please include details for all computers and devices currently running 1Password)
    • Are you using any sync? If so, which one?
    • If you create a new credit card entry with a bogus verification code, does that save correctly?

I don't blame you for feeling frustrated here, thanks for helping us look into this. :)

• kda
    kda
    Community Member
    Options

Version 5.0.2 (Mac App store) on my laptop (running OS X Yosemite version 10.10.1)

Version 5.1.2 on iPhone (running iOS 8.1.2)

Version 5.1.2 on iPad (iOS 8.1.2)

Using Dropbox sync

• kda
    kda
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

And now I'm having more problems:

Tried resetting my password on a website using an email link, and 1Password (on Mac)
    would not let me. I entered my new password on their site, but every time I hit Enter, 1Password would pop up insisting that I enter my Master Password to unlock the app so it could save this new login. I would dismiss this new pop up over and over. It would not let me complete this task. I had to restart my browser. After resetting my password I wanted 1Password to capture the info. So I entered my master password in the Firefox plugin and when prompted, told it to save this new login. Then I checked what it saved: it only saved my password! It didn’t save my username at all, just listed it as X. So I had to manually go in and change it.

Then I went to my iPhone, and none of these changes were pushed through. Settings says sync failed “Failed to list remote data folder in Dropbox. Please try again later. Path: /1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/"

• kda
    kda
    Community Member
    Options

I have no idea why the above post appeared in such a bizarre way. When I hit Edit it looks normal and when I hit post it goes back to this

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@kda‌ I have reformatted your post #4 for you. It was the tab characters that were causing the problem.

Stephen

• It sounds like the odd sync issue is what caused that verification code to revert to the old one. What I suggest is resetting the data on your iPhone.

First, verify that your Mac has the most up-to-date version of your data. If it does, then make a backup of that data, just in case. (In Preferences, go to Backups and click Backup Now). If it does not, do NOT do the steps below and let us know.

• On your iPhone, open 1Password for iOS, tap Settings > Advanced > Erase Data and Settings. This will erase all your data (on your iPhone only) and reset 1Password as if you just downloaded it.

• restart your iPhone.

• Go back into the 1Password app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure. If it does not, please let us know.

• kda
    kda
    Community Member
    Options

Except the incorrect data was appearing on my iPad, which showed no sync issues.

• Is it possible that the iPad was syncing with a different file? Is there more than one 1Password keychain file on your DropBox? Either way, I recommend resetting sync on the iPhone and get that working. After that is working, then repeat for your iPad.

Regarding the multiple prompts for the Master Password on the Mac, is there more than one copy of 1Password installed there? That may explain the multiple prompts.

• kda
    kda
    Community Member
    Options

How would I know if my Mac has "the most up-to-date version of my data"? I have over 400 items.

In DropBox, there is a "1Password" folder, and the only thing in it is "1Password.agilekeychain". Under Modified and Last Opened, it says 10/18/14, which seems odd. I use it all the time on my Mac.

Sync on iPhone started working again without my doing anything.

Only one copy of 1Password on my Mac.

• kda
    kda
    Community Member
    Options

Now my Mac version of 1Password is not capturing logins at all. It's not even asking to capture them. I'm in Firefox, logged into the 1Password widget, just logged into a new website for the first time, and 1Password never asked if I wanted to save the info.

• Hi @kda,

Let's do this one step at a time.

I hit Edit, scroll down to the Verification Code field, and mysteriously, the code that appears in that field is correct. So I cancel the edit and hit Reveal on the code to see it again, and it's once again the old, outdated code. What the hell?

That sounds like a bug with a very old credit card item. Can you confirm if you've been using 1Password 3 like 2-3 years ago?

The fix for this is to create a new credit card item separately and fill in the newer data, save it. After that, confirm it is filling in the right data before you archive the older credit card item.

How would I know if my Mac has "the most up-to-date version of my data"? I have over 400 items.

On the Mac, open 1Password, unlock, and go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Sync. Can you tell me what it said? There should be the status that says Last Synced and the time next to it.

Note that it doesn't mean it took changes from your iOS devices, it just means that it downloaded what Dropbox gave them.

In DropBox, there is a "1Password" folder, and the only thing in it is "1Password.agilekeychain". Under Modified and Last Opened, it says 10/18/14, which seems odd. I use it all the time on my Mac.

That's normal, the timestamp is based on the container that's called 1Password.agilekeychain but your encrypted data is inside this container, which will show more recent timestamps.

Sync on iPhone started working again without my doing anything.

That is likely because there may have been a problem on Dropbox side or your iPhone saw a network issue that requires retrying again a bit later.

Now my Mac version of 1Password is not capturing logins at all. It's not even asking to capture them. I'm in Firefox, logged into the 1Password widget, just logged into a new website for the first time, and 1Password never asked if I wanted to save the info.

With the other issue you wrote about unlocking 1Password, it sounds like there is an interference in Firefox. In order for us to help you resolve this, we would like you to send us your diagnostic report. Please email it to support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread.

Also, please include your forum username in the email body as well and let us know when you sent it in case we don't see it right away.

Thanks!

• kda
    kda
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Not sure how long I've been using 1Password. A year or two, I think.

Today when I opened 1Password and looked at several credit cards that I have updated recently, they now all show two separate Verification and Expiration date fields, one of which is the old, outdated one, and one of which is the new, updated one. Sure I can add them as new cards and delete the old, but this still leaves me uneasy that I can't necessarily trust the data.

1. Opened 1Password on my Mac just now and didn't even need to unlock it. It opened already unlocked. Not good. (Not talking about the Firefox widget, but the actual App from my Applications folder.)

Last synced: 14 minutes ago.

1. Just sent you the diagnostics report per your specs.
  • Hi @kda,

Today when I opened 1Password and looked at several credit cards that I have updated recently, they now all show two separate Verification and Expiration date fields, one of which is the old, outdated one, and one of which is the new, updated one.

Ok, that's a separate issue. You're seeing sync conflicts where Dropbox can't tell which file to sync, so it created conflicts and 1Password tries to resolve it by merging the data in to let you delete the conflicts manually.

Please don't do anything for now, let us look at your diagnostic report to see what's going on first.

I found your email [#AEA-56937-816}, we'll investigate and follow up with you via email as soon as possible.

Opened 1Password on my Mac just now and didn't even need to unlock it. It opened already unlocked. Not good. (Not talking about the Firefox widget, but the actual App from my Applications folder.)

If you unlocked the extension, it unlocks the main 1Password app as well. The lock/unlock status are in sync between 1Password and 1Password extensions.

Do you recall unlocking the extension before opening the main 1Password app?

This discussion has been closed.