Attachments cannot be opened (all become zero-size file) after restore [Resolved]

joeyoungboston
joeyoungboston
Community Member
edited January 2015 in Mac

Emergency!

[Before]
I used to sync my 1password vault in my Dropbox's customized path (in order to share the vault with my wife) and everything goes fine with Mac and iOS sync.

[Change]
Today we decide to only use the same Dropbox account so we want to move the 1password vault to the default place (/Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain). Here is my workflow:
(1) Copy the old vault to a safe place.
(2) Disable Dropbox sync on all my Mac and iOS devices.
(3) Delete ALL items from Mac version 1Password in order clean up.
(3) Uninstall Mac and iOS version 1Password completely, For the Mac version, I also delete the ~/Library/Containers/XXXXX, since I am a MAS user.
(4) Copy the old vault to /Dropbox/1Password/
(5) Install Dropbox and it still needs me to input my password (why? I have deleted everything). Then I go to sync settings and enable Dropbox sync and select the /Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain
(6) It asks me MERGE or not, of course merge.

[After]
All items are there but I could not open any attachments. Error message="could not open xxx". I drag out some attachments to my desktop and they are ALL ZERO-SIZE FILE!!!! I check the vault size, it is same as my old backup. What shall I do? Again I have old backups but it looks like I could not open attachments at all! Please help. Thanks.

Comments

• joeyoungboston
    joeyoungboston
    Community Member

All my OSs and 1Password Apps are updated to the newest. Yosemite and iOS8. No beta version at all. Clean system.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joeyoungboston‌

It sounds like the question is what do we have to work with?

1. The iOS device you wiped will literally be of no use as there is no way to recover anything after you've deleted the app.
    2. I'm wondering about the Mac you deleted everything 1Password related from, is it all still in your Trash?
    3. It sounds like you were possibly syncing with other devices and or Macs. Are their other copies of this vault elsewhere and what state are the attachments in there?

If the answer to 2. is yes, everything is still in your Trash please do not empty it. What would be useful to know is have you changed or added anything to your vault since you started afresh on this Mac until now when you've discovered the issue with the attachments. If you haven't altered the vault in any way then the following may very well be worth attempting.

1. Quit down 1Password and 1Password mini. You can do this by using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q while in 1Password (the vault does not have to be unlocked for this to work).
    2. Restore the Containers folder, 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper that you deleted. That folder contains your previous vault, backups and other support files. In 1Password 3 your vault was the .agilekeychain but as of 1Password 4 it's actually an encrypted .sqlite database file that resides in the appropriate location in your Library folder. If your attachments existed in that vault then restoring the entire 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder should sort it. 1Password may complain about syncing after you've restored a configuration with the old syncing set up but I suspect getting your attachments back is the most important goal at the moment.

If you have any doubts or concerns then please let us know and just don't empty your Trash. Either way though please do keep us informed.

• joeyoungboston
    joeyoungboston
    Community Member

Thanks for your help. I solved my problem by only doing one thing -- wait. I waited for all my Macs finishing sync and restart the Macs. Suddenly, it works.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joeyoungboston‌

I'm so glad to hear that a little bit of patience was all that was needed! Thanks for letting us know that you're all sorted out.

Since this particular issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support+forum@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.