Migrating to new mac and upgrading from 3 to 5 at once - information missing

Options
LPG
LPG
Community Member
edited January 2015 in Mac

I just got a new mac with yosemite and upgraded from v3 to v5, only downloading v5 onto the new mac.

I imported my data by finding the .agilekeychain file on my old mac, and putting that into dropbox (I can't use dropbox for syncing because of v3). Pointing v5 on my new mac to that file in dropbox imported most but not all of my info.

Then I realized (much to my dismay) that it was an out-of-date file that I imported.

Is there a way to start over, or to update the information?

Thank you!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Have a look at this knowledge base article which tells you how to start over on the Mac. Do follow carefully what it says.

Stephen

• LPG
    LPG
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen,

Thank you. Before I blow it again, can you point me to the best way to import the correct, current information from v3 on my old mac to v5 on my new one?

Also, 1pw syncs over wifi with my phone (my phone will have to stay v3, it's a 4s, and it tells me I can't upgrade to iOS 8 because it requires 5.2gb of storage and my phone only comes with 5gb). How do I make sure it syncs to 1pw v5 on my new mac, rather than the old version on the old mac?

Thanks so much.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LPG

On your old machine, where does 1Password believe the .agilekeychain is? If you look in 1Password 3's preferences the first tab, General, should show you where 1Password 3 is currently writing to (see image below)

In that image you can see the file is in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. With this information you should be able to locate the most up to date keychain.

Now the problem you really have is going to be syncing 1Password for iPhone (AKA v3 for iOS) with any copy of 1Password 4/5. So you can no longer sync using Dropbox (as you seem to be already aware) but to make matters more difficult Wi-Fi syncing will no longer be an option either. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Wi-Fi Syncing changed dramatically in 1Password 4 and as a result is incompatible with 1Password 3. If you want to use 1Password 5 in your day to day usage you would want to also keep a copy of 1Password 3 on the same system. You would then use Folder Sync (as an example) to keep 1Password 5 and 1Password 3 synchronised, then use 1Password 3 for Mac to Wi-Fi with your iPhone.

It's hard to know what to suggest regarding your iPhone. If the phone itself is saying you need to free up more space then one possibility is to see if iTunes thinks there is enough room or not. As it decompresses the image before sending it to your phone it can work with a smaller amount of free space compared to an over-the-air update. The downside is I believe iOS 8 is likely the last iOS you'll be able to use on an iPhone 4S and I've heard reports that the 4S can struggle a bit.

Keep us informed as to how it's going. If you have any follow up questions please do ask :smile:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LPG

I was chatting to a colleague and I was reminded that depending on the scenario you may still be able to obtain 1Password 4 for iOS. If you're running iOS 7 then you might still be able to download 1Password 4 for iOS. If you can do that then you can use Wi-Fi sync or even Dropbox again. In my previous post I fixated a little too much on the statement that you had to stay with v3.

So what would be handy to know is what version of iOS you're running at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.