Copied password doesn't work (Browser toolbar icon -> right click a login -> click password)

Options
kaatan
kaatan
Community Member
edited January 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Because current 1Password extension fails to automatically fill in login credentials for many web sites, I often need to enter those credentials manually by copying & pasting usernames and passwords stored in 1Password. But when I copy a password via browser extension, it never works. Following is the specific operation to reproduce the issue on my system:

1. Click 1Password icon on the browser toolbar. (Firefox)
  2. Select Logins.
  3. Right click one of logins in the list.
  4. Click password, which is usually displayed like Password: ?????
  5. Information dialog pops up saying ????? has been copied to the Windows Clipboard.
  6. But this copied password never works (web site rejects the password as incorrect). It seems that a wrong string is copied in step 4 somehow.

So, I have to select Open 1Password to copy the password in the main application. It always works but it's annoying because I must enter the master password first to open the app.

Did I misconfigured some options or is this another bug of current extension?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I can't address your specific concern, but can I recommend you let Agilebits know which websites are not filling properly so that they can try to fix them.

• kaatan
    kaatan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your comment, RichardPayne.

The issue is not for a specific web site; all passwords do not work when I copy them in the aforementioned method.

For example, the password for this forum does not work, either. Somehow incorrect string is copied instead of the saved legitimate password.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I was referring to this:

Because current 1Password extension fails to automatically fill in login credentials for many web sites,

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The question marks in your screen shot should be "dots" (••••••). I wonder whether there's some problem with the character set.

In the main 1Password program, please disable the View > Conceal Passwords toggle, and let us know whether you see the correct password in the Password field, as shown in your screen shot, @kaatan.

Thanks!

• kaatan
    kaatan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks DBrown for your attention on this matter.

When I disable "Conceal Passwords," all passwords are displayed and copied correctly. So, apparently this option corrupts password strings.

As for the character set, I'm using 1Password on Japanese Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well, I can't reproduce the "corruption" on my system, so I wonder again whether it might have something to do with the character set on your system.

Can you tell us about your Windows "Regions and Languages" settings?

• kaatan
    kaatan
    Community Member
    Options

Here you go:

The top dropdown (Format) is set to Japanese (Japan). If you need additional info, please let me know and I'm happy to provide it.

• skuldchan
    skuldchan
    Community Member
    Options

I've got the same problem, and un-checking the "Conceal Passwords" option does seem to fix it. However, I'd prefer to be able to conceal my passwords, and I do think that the root of the problem lies in the Language or the Locale options in Windows. Unlike kaatan, my Language format is English (UK), but I've set my system locale for non-Unicode programs to Japanese. That might be the root of the problem. I was hoping that AgileBits will eventually make a fix for this, as the way things current are is compromising the security of your international users.

• We had a case recently where passwords with unicode characters weren't displayed correctly in the 1Password Helper. We've fixed this bug in a recent version.

In my tests everything works as expected.

Setup:

• Locale for non-unicode apps set to Chinese (simplified).
    • 1Password 4 for Windows, version 4.5.0.572.
    • Extension version 4.4.0.b5.
    • Login item with Chinese characters.

Can you please make sure that you're using the latest version of 1Password and try again?

This discussion has been closed.