Categories and Tags and Folders?

Options

I look at the documentation but I am still confused about categories, tags, and folders (oh my!!).

I can edit say a login and add a tag. I can go to the main screen and add a new folder but I am unable to use these. For example I add a tag and there doesn't seem to be a way to find all items that have a specific tag. Or, once I create a new folder ho can I move items into the folder. And what are categories used for? I don't see a way to create my own category.

Ideas?

Thank you.

Comments

• BlackSophie
    BlackSophie
    Community Member
    Options

Funny you should ask this...I am similarly confused. Will standby and see what the forum answers.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

You can read all about Working with folders and tags in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide, which includes a Glossary that explains the role of categories, folders, and tags.

• rkb
    rkb
    Community Member
    Options

The Working with folders and tags just gives me some basic information that such has I can assign multiple tags to an item. It doesn't tell me how I can use them to organize my items or how to assign or move (or what ever you do) and item to a different folder or category. Right now I have about 40 login items. I would like to organize them into groups so I don't see all 40 items at once.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

Once you've created a folder, you can simply "drag" items from the list area onto the folder. From then on, select the folder to see those items. (The items will still be listed in their respective categories, too, of course.)

If you tag an item, these two notes from the user's guide article apply:

• 1Password for Windows currently does not display tags in the sidebar. Add and remove tags as you edit individual items. Search for tagged items by typing the tag name (or by pressing Alt+↓ and selecting the tag name) in the search field.

• In the browser extensions, just start typing to filter the list to show Logins with matching title, URL, or tag.

I hope that helps, @rkb. Do let us know if you have any other questions about tags, folders, and categories.

• rkb
    rkb
    Community Member
    Options

It wont let me drag. There is a forbidden icon when I try to drag and drop.

• rkb
    rkb
    Community Member
    Options

Alt + doesn't do anything. Is it a setting?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It wont let me drag. There is a forbidden icon when I try to drag and drop.

Here's a video of me dragging items to it: watch

Alt + doesn't do anything. Is it a setting?

The key combination isn't Alt + (the Alt key and the + key). It's Alt+↓ (the Alt key and the down arrow key).

Here's a video of me pressing Alt+↓ to display the list of tags I've already applied to various items: watch

When I filter the All folder and select a tag in the search field, the list area shows only items with that tag applied.

• FuriousFan
    FuriousFan
    Community Member
    Options

You will get the crossed-out circle if you are trying to drag to a folder where the item already exists.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @FuriousFan,

Thanks! That's a good point to bring up, it won't let you drag an item into the folder that already has the said item.

This discussion has been closed.