Login sometimes fails to enter username and password for some websites

Greetings worthy forum contributors:

When I try to login to a website with 1Password, it sometimes opens the page I try to log into but once the page opens the page just sits there and 1Password won't enter my username and password no matter how long I wait for the page to fully load. Sometimes I have to close the page & repeat the process several times before 1Password will succeed in entering the username/password.

Thinking perhaps my 1Password date is corrupted somehow, I've deleted the and recreated a 1Password login for the accounts where that happens but it still happens on occasion.

Some times 1Password will enter the login and password but will fail to engage the ENTER key so I need to manually click the ENTER or OK key after the username/password have been entered by 1Password.

In one websdite 1Password enters the username and password on the single-page login page but then the password will disappear after it was entered. I've resorted to copying the password from the 1Password clipboard in the login and entering it manually, but it is a hassle.

These problems doesn't happen EVERY SINGLE time but it the issue does happen on two or three websites,including Amazon and Walgreens and a financial insitution (not a bank) that I prefer not to specify here.

Any clue what might be going wrong with the above situations?

(Please note the above issues do NOT involve bank logins that I previously reported whereas some banks use two separate pages to get logged in, one for username and a second page forthe password. For those I resorted to entering the username manually on the first page (easy enough to recall) and then using 1Password to enter the complex secure password. I could, of course, have also created a Bank1 and Bank2 login entry to do those separately)

Thanks, and I apologize for the verbose post here.

George

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

George, what are a couple of specific URLs where you're seeing this behavior?

Equally important, what version of which browser are you using, and what version of the 1Password extension is installed in it?

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

@gjanczyn, the issue you report was happening to me within the past week, but an upgrade to the most recent version solved it for me. If you are running a version older than Beta-537, in the main app an update via Help > Check for New Version may solve it for you. If that doesn't fix it, please post again.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

...and stable build 4.1.0.538 has just been released.

• gjanczyn
    gjanczyn
    Community Member

@DBrown: I'm running Firefox 35.0.1 and the 1Password browser extension is 4.2.5. My 1Password version is 4.1.0.538. I'm a paid licensed user, if it isn't clear!

The URL where the password appears in the password field and then disappears quite often is www.walgreens.com. I discovered a workaround for this: first manually go to the generic walgreens.com site. Then while on that page, run the 1Password login and it works just fine. The disappearing password problem only happens if I try to get to Walgreens in a fresh tab.

A couple of URLS where the username and password fields get filled in but the ENTER button doesn't get executed and I have to click that manually: 1) Amazon.com; 2) Unionbank.com. Doesn't happen all THAT often, but no apparent pattern for when it happens.

Admittedly these are minor annoyances but would be nice if it didn't happen.

Separate note: I wish it wouldn't be necessary to use DropBox to sync with Android. A Bluetooth link from the PC to the Android device for syncing would be nice.

Thanks for your attention.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @gjanczyn.

Could you try updating to the latest beta version of the 1Password extension for Firefox, and let us know whether you see the same intermittent behavior?

• gjanczyn
    gjanczyn
    Community Member

Hi @DBrown, Per your suggestion I updated to the latest beta of the 1Password extension for Firefox and all seemed well for awhile. Sorry I didn't tell you!

But a few days ago it changed behaviors on me again abruptly, and I can't figure why. It does fill in the login/password data, but then it just stops and doesn't "hit the enter key" for that page, so I have to do that part manually. It stops after filling in the login/password fields like this for ALL websites, not just a select few. Any suggestions?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gjanczyn: I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble again. I don't blame you for forgetting that things were working! ;)

It sounds like you may have inadvertently turned off AutoSubmit. You can find this in 1Password Preferences > Logins > Auto-Submit Logins, and if it is not checked, that would explain it!

But usually this gets changed in the 1Password extension. You can find this in your web browser: just click the 1Password icon and go to Settings. Changing it in either place will have the same result (i.e. one will change the other). So if you accidentally unchecked this in the browser one day, you might not know it, and non of your logins would submit when filled until it was turned back on.

I hope this helps. Let me know what you find! :)

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

@brenty, he may not have turned off Auto-Submit; it seems there is now a bug. Please see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/38352/auto-submit-does-not-work-anymore-in-firefox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bkh: Thanks for mentioning that! There are a number of things that could be going wrong here, and a bug could certainly be one of them. I just wanted to rule out the settings there first, since the Firefox bug doesn't seem to be affecting everyone. We will have the developers take a look and see if something might have changed on our end here in a recent update.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gjanczyn: I was able to confirm that there is an autosubmit issue with the current beta 1Password Firefox extension (4.4.0b1) on Windows. If you are currently using the beta, just uninstall it and install the current stable version instead, as autosubmit is working there.

ref: OPX-892

• gjanczyn
    gjanczyn
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks...my autosubmit was NOT turned off, so I'll try reverting to the current stable version...although the reason for going to the beta in the first place was because it (initially) fixed my original problem with username/password fields not getting filled in on some websites. : - (

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gjanczyn: I hear you. I'm sorry you got stuck in the middle there! The good news is that the developers are aware of the issue and are working on getting a fix out. We'll let you know once there's a new beta that resolves that so you can have the best of both worlds. :)

• gjanczyn
    gjanczyn
    Community Member

Sounds good. Thanks @brenty and @bkh for your help.

• On behalf of brenty (and @bkh if he doesn't mind), you're welcome. If there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Just wanted to let you know the autosubmit issue in Firefox should be fixed as of version 4.4.0.BETA-4. Please check for updates and let me know if you still have any issues.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.