Exporting and Importing Not Working. Is 1password reliable?

Options
Raymond
Raymond
Community Member
edited January 2015 in Mac

To test things out, I have exported from 1password all items as .csv

Then I tried to import as .csv and it says 0 imported / 0 failed.

Second method I tried was to import from Windows because I tought it fails to import due to text formatting. I think that was the issue because when I imported from Windows it said 1 imported but it got the columns wrong. (so the username was the password, and the password was the username).

Second issue with exporting, I tried exporting from Windows and I selected .csv but when the save file window opens I only have .txt as option. I should have .csv

Should I trust 1password to be the single place I save my passwords WHILE having these stupid bugs? I don't think so. What if the master password stops working suddenly because who knows that any bug gets in the way. I mean, you have some simple issues that should work flawlessly, I can't imagine 1password is reliable. Please advise.

Thank you

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi @Raymond,

The CSV import / export in 1Password is limited, and this is mostly due to CSV restrictions and varying column numbers across categories. You should use 1PIF to export with full fidelity.

A CSV file is just a TEXT file. The .csv file suffix is just common practice (and does not indicate the contents of the file).

If you are worried about being able to export your data in the future, don't worry. The 1PIF format will be available, is just plain text (in the JSON format, in case that means anything to you), and contains all of your data.

• Raymond
    Raymond
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi MrC,

I did this test because I want to see if I can export 1password logins and have a backup to one of my other HDD. Basically, have a second offline backup of all my passwords in case 1password breaks or who knows. I'm not saying is going to be unreliable I'm just preparing for every scenario...

I can't export 1pif because of the above reason.

What this export (aka backup) I want to make has to have these two functions:
    1. I don't want it to rely on 1password (so I can't export 1pif)
    2. would be great if I can import it into 1password

This is the biggest issue I have with 1password because not having a second backup of all passwords isn't great. I don't want to rely on 1password fully, as I said I prepare for worst scenario even if is unprobable 1password will stop working (another reason would be that I lost the master password or the master password stops working - highly unprobable but possible so I have to take care of these scenarios due to the loss involved

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Exporting and importing of CSV in 1Password for Windows does work. Importing currently only handles Login types though, so you need to remove any row that is not a Login row.

Also, a bug was fixed recently with CSV and Unicode characters, so you need at least 4.1.0.BETA-534.

The 1PIF is just text - the password, username, URL, etc. are all readily readable.

But I think you have some circular logic here. You want a CSV export in case 1Password no longer works, but you're using 1Password to test importing of that CSV export. It would be a better test to use some other program to test the import of the CSV generated by 1Password. And a spreadsheet program such as Excel, Numbers, or Libre Office can do that.

• Raymond
    Raymond
    Community Member
    Options

One last question - so, exporting/importing of CSV in 1Password for Mac doesn't work?

Thank you for the help MrC, really useful.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I'm going to reply here with the question in your PM and the question above:

Oh... I thought 1PIF is 1password unique file that only 1password can open. So it wasn't good that I back that one up, because in case 1password stops working I wouldn't be able to recover the passwords.

1PIF is an export / import format that 1Password uses to allow interchange of vault data across platforms. This is one way to export from the Mac, say, and import into Windows (the preferred method today of course would be to use online or file syncing).

The 1PIF format is not used as the main storage, because it is not encrypted.

You WOULD be able to recover passwords from a 1PIF.

But it seems 1PIF can be opened by the text editor. I will see if I can convert 1pif to csv so I will have the passwords ready to import into some other manager (in the improbable case, of course)

Correct, it can be opened by any text editor.

You can save a 1Password Backup of the vault data, and use 1Password later to import it. You could save that backup file (a zip file) to some offsite storage. It is secure.

You could use a 1PIF export placed on a flash drive and placed into a safe deposit box, if you were ever concerned that you might switch from 1Password to some other program. But so long as you are using 1Password on Windows or Mac, the 1PIF format will be available for import. Again, the caution is that 1PIF is not encrypted or secure.

One last question - so, exporting/importing of CSV in 1Password for Mac doesn't work?

It does work, but is limited. 1Password for Windows imports only Login categories via CSV, whereas 1Password for Mac imports Logins, Credit Cards, Software Licenses, and Secure Notes via CSV. The Mac CSV exporter has the ability to export some fields or all fields (even though they don't make sense for many Categories).

Thank you for the help MrC, really useful.

You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.