Changing the Vault Order? [Feature Request]

Options
m00dawg
m00dawg
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Mac

Is there any way to change the Vault order (doesn't have to be via any sort of GUI)? I have 1 primary and 2 secondary vaults and the ordering of the secondaries is backwards and is starting to grate at me. Any possible way to fix that?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @m00dawg,

There's no option in the 1Password app to change the order of secondary vaults. [EDIT: The solution that was presented does not actually work.] However, there's a simple workaround, which is to sync each secondary vault with Dropbox, then delete & re-add each secondary vault in the desired order. Here are more specific steps to do that:

• Set each secondary vault to sync with Dropbox (each vault has its own sync settings, so make sure each one is syncing with Dropbox)
    • Delete each secondary vault from the 1Password app (switch to a vault, then go to the menu for 1Password > Delete Vault)
    • Go to your Dropbox folder, then find and double-click a secondary vault (i.e. .agilekeychain file) to re-add it to 1Password
    • Re-add each secondary vault in the order you want them to appear in 1Password

If you don't want to use Dropbox sync, you can use Folder sync instead.

I hope that helps, let us know if you have more questions about that!

• toobulkeh
    toobulkeh
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like this was in consideration for some old versions of OSX:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/27269/yosemite-multiple-vaults-order-by

:+1: for this feature!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

It's actually still being considered, @toobulkeh, and I have added your vote as well as @m00dawg's (and my own!) to the feature request in our issue tracker. I'm sure it would be useful to many. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• toobulkeh
    toobulkeh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! As a consulting firm with 20+ clients at a time, not being able to manage vaults is rough. Love the product!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @toobulkeh ,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy 1Password! Our developers have all sorts of great ideas for how to improve multiple vaults in the future, and it's always so helpful to hear how our users are working with multiple vaults in their current incarnation. We'll do what we can to make this feature more powerful and awesome for you in the future. :)

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

+1 for this as well. I'm splitting my primary vault and would like it to be ⌘2 not ⌘6. Happy to have the work around of removing and re-adding them all (note: please don't refer to it as "Delete each secondary vault", that just sounds scary as hell)

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member
    Options

Ugh... >_< the @Drew_AG "work around" doesn't actually work. When the vaults get re-added they end up in alphabetical order... which happens to be the exact opposite order I actually want them in.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jb510,

It turns out you are correct (as you already know) and I sincerely apologize for my mistake! I had checked that on my Mac before writing the steps to make sure it worked as I thought, but by sheer coincidence, I believe I may have re-added my secondary vaults in alphabetical order without realizing it. I must have needed a second cup of coffee that day! :blush:

I'm sorry again about that! Hopefully we'll be able to add an option to change vault order in the future. If you need anything else, please let us know!

• Thomas
    Thomas
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for sortable vaults … or at least assignable apple-1/2/3 shortcuts

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Thomas,

I've added your and all the others votes to what I see as a better request for this. I'm with you too. I've recently added a couple more vaults to the mix and my work vault keeps getting further away. Fingers crossed! :smile:

By the way, my vote gets no special consideration :wink:

ref: OPM-3168

• jwhitley
    jwhitley
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 here. Now that I'm using multiple vaults (a great feature), I've got different subsets of vaults on different systems. Being able to control their order in a way that makes sense to me, for both the ⌘ shortcuts and the GUI list ordering, would be huge. I was honestly surprised that the Preferences > Sync dialog didn't just let me drag the vaults into the desired order.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jwhitley,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here! I'll let our team know. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kavaa,

I'm afraid I don't have any news about this (and in general we don't discuss which features may or may not be added in future releases). But I'll certainly add your vote to our internal tracker so our developers know you'd also like to be able to change the order of your vaults. I'd also really like to have that feature!

We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

• cketterling
    cketterling
    Community Member
    Options

Voting for this feature as well. I created our organization's shared vault first but now want it to be secondary.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @cketterling! I'll let our developers know you'd also like to have that feature. :)

• cketterling
    cketterling
    Community Member
    Options

How does one delete their Primary vault?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cketterling,

It is not possible to delete your primary vault at this time without starting over with an empty vault. If this is your company vault, you'll want to be sure that the data is safely stored elsewhere before following those steps. If your company vault is not synced to Dropbox or iCloud, you can export the company data ( File > Export > All Items ) and save as a .1pif file before resetting 1Password. Please note that the .1pif file is unencrypted, and needs to be securely deleted after you've imported it into your new company vault.

When you set up 1Password again, be sure to use your own secure Master Password for your primary vault, and then create a secondary vault (with a unique strong Master Password) for your company data.

I hope this helps, but please do let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

• devnall
    devnall
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

+1 for this feature. After 6+ years of using 1Password, I thought I was being clever by making a new vault called "Archive" and throwing old stuff in there until I realized it bumped my "Work" vault out of CMD+2 and screwed up my muscle memory. My hacky workaround was to rename my "Archive" vault to "zArchive" but it's pretty dumb that it's necessary to do that.

Especially with 1Pass for Teams coming down the pipeline, y'all need to figure out a better way of handling vault management and organization.

Edit: Also, it'd be nice if Drew_AG would edit the second post in this thread to remove the incorrect solution. This thread is top of the google results for "1password reorder vaults" and having an incorrect solution from an AgileBits team member as the second post sent me down a blind alley for about 15 minutes until it didn't work and I read the rest of the thread.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for telling us about your specific scenario, @devnall.

I've edited the post above to remove the misleading instructions. I'm really sorry for the trouble.

I am right with you. I would love to be able to manually set the order, since I also would like the keyboard shortcuts to work for the specific vaults I choose rather than just alphabetical=numerical.

• OverByDan
    OverByDan
    Community Member
    Options

Any further news on this? Would really like to start using this feature after starting to handle vaults for different departments of the company.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OverByDan,

No news on this yet, I'm afraid. But thank you for letting us know you'd also like to be able to manually sort your vaults - I'll gladly add your feedback to our internal tracker to let our developers know. Cheers! :)

• ravidew
    ravidew
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG Can you add my vote as well? Being a member of 4 different teams now, the ability to order vaults would make locating information far quicker and allow me to use the keyboard shortcuts more efficiently. Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure thing @ravidew, thanks for letting us know! :)

• jonfairman
    jonfairman
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG Add my vote on there too. I'm still really surprised this isn't an option. :-1:

Seems like it'd not be that hard to implement and would be super useful. That being said, I'm not a developer either :chuffed: . Thanks guys!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Will do, @jonfairman! :) Many features are more difficult to add than it seems, although I'm not a developer either, so I can't say for sure if that's the case with this particular feature. I agree it would be very handy, though! I'll be happy to add your comments to our internal tracker. We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• kdbertel
    kdbertel
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to add a request to reorder vaults and to reorder teams/families. My work got 1Password for Teams before I signed up for 1Password for Families, so my family ends up below my team in the list of vaults, and I would prefer to be able to set that priority myself.

I am a developer, and I understand that some features take a lot more work than they first appear, and also that the dev team has to manage priorities of all of their feature requests and bug fixes and so on. But I'd still like to add a vote to try and move it up in the queue a little :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's definitely a challenge to balance everything sometimes, so your understanding and passion for this feature are greatly appreciated! :)

• partydrone
    partydrone
    Community Member
    Options

+10 from me. I have several Teams and a Families accounts set up, but there's no way to put the one I want at the top, um, at the top.

• Thanks for chiming in, @partydrone.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.