Options
2»

Comments

• christianpbrink
    christianpbrink
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this feature.

My pain point around this comes when I want to sign in on Amazon.com to e.g. track an order. They always ask for your password, and if I've just brought my computer out of sleep mode, the muscle-memorized Cmd-\ shortcut brings up the 1Password dialog for unlocking my primary vault. Once I've unlocked the primary, 1Password auto-selects an Amazon.com login from the first vault that contains one -- but that's my wife's vault; her name comes alphabetically before mine. So I get signed into her Amazon account and must sign back out, manually open 1Password and select my own vault, and return to the Amazon login page. It's a drag and happens several times every week!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! I think we'd all appreciate having a bit more flexibility with vault organization. Hopefully we'll be able to add this feature to the web interface and apps! :)

• andreas_hilbrich
    andreas_hilbrich
    Community Member
    Options

+1 from me, too. Thanks in advance.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @andreas_hilbrich, I've added your vote! :chuffed:

• Derek_C
    Derek_C
    Community Member
    Options

Yes! This is one of the only features missing from 1Password. I can not wait for this! ; )

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! Perhaps we'll be able to add that in a future version. :)

• wojo
    wojo
    Community Member
    Options

So I'm in a trial of a Family account and ran into this as well. Would love to be able to re-order vaults for many of the same reasons in this thread. Please add this -- I'm about to recommend all my friends and family to switch from another product and this is quite annoying!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @wojo! It would definitely be helpful to have the ability to change the order of vaults, and I'll add your comments to our internal tracker. Cheers! :)

ref: OPM-3168

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any hope of this actually ever being implemented?

I've been using 1P for well since it was called 1Passwd and I can't recall a single forum thread with countless users begging for a feature that ever got actually implemented. I'm sure there are some, but for the most part it really feels like users here get told "we'll record your vote" for years without any progress.

• @jb510 : there are countless such threads. The vast majority of new features we add to 1Password are features that users have asked us for.

It's difficult to give you an estimate of the likelihood of this specific feature getting implemented. I know that I personally would find it handy, but I would have found it more handy before the addition of All Vaults. These days I mostly just keep 1Password in All Vaults. I know that when designing things for 1Password.com we specifically changed things to make stuff like this easier to do if/when we decide to do it.

We're really cautious about adding new features to 1Password. Sometimes it may seem like we're overly-cautious. Adding this specific feature really wouldn't be that hard to do. But every feature comes with additional costs. You need the window to manage the ordering of the vaults. Then you would likely want the ordering to be synced across devices, so we'd have to figure that out. These changes would need to be done across all of our apps in order to provide a consistent experience.

I realize that you're looking for more specifics than I'm providing. I'm sorry, but I just can't provide much more specifics beyond saying that we haven't ruled out that feature (we're trying to get better about being honest when certain features just aren't happening (everyone's favorite example being WebDAV sync)). I can't give you a timeframe because I don't know for certain that it's happening, and even if I did know for certain that it was happening, announcing timeframes for features is pretty much always a bad idea.

Rick

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion I put in the caveat, I know there are features implemented... but a lot like this are pretty darn basic. We should be able to re-order vaults... and heck at least give use the ability to REMOVE and re-add a vault... it's a totally PITA.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jb510: A lot of this goes back to the fact that 1Password originally didn't support multiple vaults at all, and therefore re-ordering and re-naming them just wasn't something we needed to take into account in the design...and changing this is non-trivial. Certainly this is an option we'd like to have from time to time ourselves, but I hope you'll appreciate that you and I are in the minority here: most people still only use a single vault, and the number of multiple vault users who want to do this is an even smaller segment of the install base. Ultimately we need to focus our efforts where we can do the most good for the greatest number of users, so there are a lot of other feature requests that will have to take priority over this one. I think it's fair to say while it's inconvenient this doesn't exactly fall under the category of mission critical, but nevertheless I hope it's something we can do in a future version.

• memeLab
    memeLab
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this... is there a place to actually vote for this FR?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just to be clear, we don't base 1Password development on a voting system, but you've come to the right place because it definitely helps to know what features you're looking for and how you anticipate they would fit into your workflow. Thanks! :)

• xmaslance
    xmaslance
    Community Member
    Options

I really hope this feature makes it into production soon! I too have more than nine vaults. Now I suffer because vaults that I rarely use (and hence don't need shortcuts) prevent the ones that I use a lot from being assigned a shortcut. I don't care about the order, I just need a "don't assign this vault a shortcut" option.

Lance

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @xmaslance! I can't say for sure if or when this feature will be added, but it's something I'd like to have as well, and I really hope we'll add it. I'll gladly add your comments to our internal tracker to let our developers know. Cheers! :)

ref: OPM-3168

• metamorphic
    metamorphic
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for option to set the order of vaults. I have different orders on different computers, and it's confusing not being able to make them more identical.

Thanks for an otherwise great product.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And thanks for your great feedback, @metamorphic! :+1::chuffed:

Recently setting up 1Password on new devices in my 'collection' took extra attentiveness so the vault order would match (when possible) what it is on my other devices. Having plenty of vaults, I know how it can be confusing having them inconsistently ordered on different devices.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• b3nrules
    b3nrules
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, is there any update when or if this will be implemented? I would like to order them so I could use the shortcuts cmd+1, cmd+2 etc so be sure which vault I'm using.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @b3nrules -- we don't normally pre-announce release dates for new features/versions as many factors (some beyond our control) affect them. However, I've added your voice to the list of folks that would like to see this. Please stay tuned to the updates.

• DavidNY
    DavidNY
    Community Member
    Options

I just came to say +1 to this feature. Using 1PW on multiple devices, it would be nice if I could make sure the vaults are in the same order so I can use simple muscle memory to switch to the correct vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! We've got a lot of other stuff on our plates right now, but I'd love to be able to do this as well myself. Hopefully we'll be able to make that possible in a future version. :)

• sweejin
    sweejin
    Community Member
    Options

Hello there!

+1 as another vote for this feature. :D

Love 1Password, keep up the great work. I understand you guys have other priorities, but looking forward to the day I am able to sort the order of my vaults. Thanks!

Best wishes!

• Thanks for the feedback and your kind words @sweejin! :chuffed:

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    Options

Until this feature request is added, here is a suggestion on how to order your vaults.
    Simply rename them to have numbers at the beginning. For example, I have my vaults named like this.

• ⌘1 will always be your primary Personal vault
    • 2-Family (the common shared vault between all family members)
    • 3-Work (This is my private vault in my Teams account)
    • 4-Engineering (Shared vault for a company department)
    • 5-Development (Another shared company vault)

Since I am the admin for both my family and company team accounts, I have the power to enforce this naming scheme, but all the users like it since it gives them the ability to set up their own vaults knowing that these shared vaults have the number prefixes and will end up in the proper ⌘# location.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great idea, @Smudge -- thanks for the suggestion! :)

• MMT
    MMT
    Community Member
    Options

Our organization began using 1Password for Teams awhile ago. It has put an end to people reusing the same password for multiple sites. Our love for 1Password has generated the need for more vaults and now run into the issue of not being able to set the order of the vaults in order to utilize the keyboard shortcuts. Please add my plus 1 (and 41 other plus ones for the rest of our staff) to this feature request.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MMT - Thanks for the input! Lest I give the wrong impression, there is not actually a formal "voting" system, like in a democracy. We do value every single bit of input from users, whether positive or negative -- both give us a sense of where people want 1Password to be or to go in the future. And I will certainly mention this to our developers, but just to be clear: there's no behind-the-scenes vote-counting going on here. Thanks again for the feedback! :)

• MacSupport
    MacSupport
    Community Member
    Options

Please update if this needed feature is any closer. As more of my clients are using 1Password, my Primary Vault is getting lower and lower on the list so the ⌘1 just get the first Team Vault.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @MacSupport

I don’t have anything new to add here, but I’ll be sure to note your interest in this request.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.