1Password 5.2 on iOS 8.1.3 and iPhone 6 Plus Touch ID issues

corey_balko
corey_balko
Community Member

I have had issues on my iPhone 6 Plus and 1Password 5 since it came out. I keep thinking it will be fixed in the next update, but it is still there in 5.2. When I launch 1Password with Touch ID sometimes it launches, the screen goes gray, and they Enter password/Touch ID screen does not go away. The only way for me to resolve it to hit the iPhone button to turn the display off and then click the home button and login to 1Password again. The animation on the launch is also terrible on the 6 Plus. Please fix both issues.

Comments

• Thanks for the report, @corey_balko‌. Are you running your iPhone 6 in zoomed mode? If you switch to standard does it help alleviate the problem for you? You can read more about zoomed and standard modes here: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203073

• jaromad
    jaromad
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

Having the same issue, and have been hearing the same reply from Agilebits folks a while. Before the today (apparently because of the convergence of 1P v.5.2 and iOS 8.1.3) at least it didn't lock up my phone. 1P might crash, but I could simply quit/re-open. Now, I have to soft reboot my phone when I switch to 1P (apparently in low memory situations).

Love your app, it's indispensable, and I appreciate the suggestion for a workaround (taking the phone out of zoom mode), but help me understand why I have to change the way I choose to view my phone's display resolution. That's not really an insignificant workaround, for those of us with low vision issues, which I'm guessing is an increasingly larger percentage of your core user demographic.

If it couldn't be implemented properly, why was it pushed into production over several versions (since last November)?

• maugustine
    maugustine
    Community Member

This happens to me regularly as well. Here is how to reproduce it. If I open the app with my thumb over the sensor already, the app will lock up. If I wait to put my thumb on the sensor until after it asks for it it works fine.

Hopefully this provides extra info in your quest to squash this nasty bug. I've noticed it in all of the Touch ID versions.

Let me know if you need any follow up info.

• maugustine
    maugustine
    Community Member

The zoom mode option seems totally unrelated, just FYI.

• gvisser
    gvisser
    Community Member

Wait for the Lock animation to finish and the Touch ID for "1Password" dialog to appear.
    Looks to me like 1Password gets the OK from TouchID before its ready to receive it. Then 1Password locks up waiting for the response.

• For others having this issue, did maugustine's tip work for you? Or does taking it out of zoom mode work? Note that when we suggest a workaround, we are not downplaying the significance of an issue. We do this because, not only can help restore functionality (if a bit more cumbersome), but also provides us with valuable data we can use when fixing issues like these. Confirming whether these workarounds work (or not) can be very helpful when fixing the issues.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• corey_balko
    corey_balko
    Community Member

I do not use my phone in zoom mode.

• kiwinpa
    kiwinpa
    Community Member

I am unable to access the Touch ID sign in feature at all. I have followed all the instructions to enable Touch ID on the 1Password app, have set the auto lock to 1 hour, and it should be working (i.e. Touch ID works fine otherwise on my iPhone). However, I am always asked for my Master Password and I am never given the option to use Touch ID to sign in. What am I missing? I am new to 1Password and only downloaded the iOS app for the first time last week (so I have only ever had the most recent version of the 1Password app). Thanks all in advance.

• kiwinpa
    kiwinpa
    Community Member

To clarify, I have the iPhone 6 plus and zoom mode is not active.

• kiwinpa
    kiwinpa
    Community Member

UPDATE - I deleted the 1Password app from my iPhone then reinstalled from scratch. Working fine now - able to access using Touch ID. Not sure what the problem was before but working now so that's all that matters. Hopefully others have the same luck.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@kiwinpa, thanks for the update, I'm glad you were able to get that to work! :smiley: I'm not sure why it wasn't working before. It's possible that turning the Touch ID option off and back on in the 1Password settings would also have solved the problem.

To everyone else, I think we might be talking about a couple different issues here. One issue we sometimes hear about is that if you open the 1Password app and then put your thumb/finger on the scanner before 1Password prompts you for Touch ID, it seems to get stuck. Our developers have looked into this and believe it to be a bug in iOS, and they've contacted Apple about it. If you run into this problem, double-click the Home button, and swipe up on 1Password to close it. When you reopen 1Password, wait to put your thumb or finger on the sensor until after it prompts you for Touch ID.

Another issue is that if Zoomed mode is enabled on an iPhone 6 Plus, it may cause the iOS Springboard to crash/restart when trying to use 1Password, or the Touch ID prompt might be missing when opening 1Password. Our developers are looking into these issues as well, and working with Apple to try to determine the exact cause. For now, the workaround is to open the Settings app, go to Display & Brightness > Display Zoom, and change it back to Standard. (If you were using Zoomed mode due to vision issues, you may want to try adjusting the Text Size setting in Display & Brightness.)

I hope this helps to clear things up! If you're having similar problems which aren't solved by the workarounds I've described above, please let us know. Thanks! :)

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member

The OP's symptoms were exactly what I was experiencing yesterday on an iPhone 5S running iOS 8.1.3. Though in addition, I was experiencing the app locking itself about 10 seconds after unlock with no input from me and no setting to support that behavior. Additionally, when launching the 1Password extension in Safari, all that displayed was a grey background with an embossed 1Password logo across the screen - no input controls.

Eventually I deleted the app, restarted the phone and reinstalled - usability is generally restored now, but animation at the app opening is still jumpy/sluggish - have you been able to recreate any of these errors, @Drew_AG ?

• Hi @southernforge,

Glad to hear you got things running again. I don't have a 5S handy, but it isn't atypical for things to run a bit sluggish on previous gen hardware.

Thanks!

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member

@bwoodruff thank you. However, it's not like trying to run iOS 8 on a 4 - and a 5S is not (yet) considered obsolete - so the sluggishness was unusual to notice in 1Password only after the app upgrade. Every other app has performed flawlessly regarding smoothness.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @southernforge,

I haven't noticed any problems with the animation on the unlock screen of 1Password. Can you elaborate on exactly what happens & what you see? It may be helpful if you can give a more specific description of the issue. Does it happen every time you unlock 1Password?

• maugustine
    maugustine
    Community Member

@Drew_AG, it's possible that this is a bug in iOS, however, I have not seen this issue on any of the other apps that I use that have Touch ID enabled. I can keep my thumb on the sensor as the app is loading, the Touch ID dialog comes up and it opens. Unfortunately, 1Password is the only app I've ever seen this issue on. Keep us posted if you find out any more info and when/if there's a fix in the works! :)

• Minnozz
    Minnozz
    Community Member

Just wanted to say that I have the same timing-related issue with Touch ID on my iPhone 5S with iOS 8.1.3 with 1Password version 5.2. The app only hangs when I already have my finger on the Touch ID button while opening 1Password. I noticed that after pressing the power button, the screen stays on a little bit too long; maybe this suggests that 1Password is in an infinite loop during this bug?

• @Minnozz, an infinite loop would cause a crash, but we haven't seen that behaviour. It's very difficult to diagnose when it's not consistent. The diagnostic reports that people are sending in are very helpful.

• maugustine
    maugustine
    Community Member

@hayesk Would you like diagnostic reports sent in on the app freezing up with Touch ID issue? If so, let me know how and I can send you what I have.

• It couldn't hurt. Please generate & send one right after a freeze though, so in theory the latest entries in the logs will be the most relevant. Please be sure to include a link to this thread with the report, and then also post back here with your ticket ID so we can 'connect the dots.'

• maugustine
    maugustine
    Community Member

Latest update, so far so good! 8-)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Let us know if it misbehaves @maugustine

• ClemensS
    ClemensS
    Community Member

Same here, still happens after the update. 6+ on iOS 8.1.3. Have sent an error report (#IVI-66948-746), hope that helps.

Cheers
    Clemens

• Thanks for the report, @ClemensS. It appears Laura has already replied to your email. To avoid any confusion or duplication of efforts, we'll continue to troubleshoot there.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.