TOTP disappears after setting [SOLUTION - Change Section Name (post #4)]

Options
moritz
moritz
Community Member
edited January 2015 in iOS

Hi,

I correctly set up the 2fA for dropbox and one google account.

For the second google account, I set it up correctly as the two other 2fA, but... when going back opening the second google account, I do not see anymore the reverse counter with the one-time number as for the first two account.
This second google account is in my favorites...

Is this a bug I believe.

Please help me solving this.

Regards,
Moritz

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @moritz,

I'm sorry you're having a bit of trouble with the one-time passwords feature!

To make sure I understand what you mean, it sounds like you set up a one-time password field in 3 different Login items in 1Password (a Dropbox login, and two separate Google logins). When you view the details of two of those Login items, you see the One-Time Password field (with a code and a timer). But when you view the details of the other Login item, the One-Time Password field is missing. Does that describe the problem correctly?

If so, please view the Google Login item that is missing the one-time password and tap the Edit button. Scroll down and look for either a One-Time Password field, or an option for Add new one-time password. Which one do you see? If you see a One-Time Password field, does it contain any text or does it look empty?

If you only see an option for Add new one-time password it sounds like it wasn't set up properly, or perhaps you tapped Cancel instead of saving the changes when you went through the setup. Either way, you can try going through the setup again to see if it helps. Make sure you follow the steps in our User Guide here: Setting up one-time passwords

Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• moritz
    moritz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

My issue is exactly as you describe it.

I did the same procedure (as described in your user guide) for the three logins.
    I just completed again (the 5th time at least) for this second google account.

At the end of the procedure I correctly see the counter, that I use to finalize the process in Google.
    The problem arise when I go back to other logins and thereafter I reopen the Google login: the one-time password field is empty, as if I never created it!!!

Quite strange!

Please consider that the two other logins are perfectly working.

It's a bug or something else?

Kind regards,
    Moritz

• noren
    noren
    Community Member
    Options

I wanted to confirm I also had this issue, also with a Google account, also on my favorites list.

I used the procedure linked by @Drew_AG and it still did not persist between app launches. What ended up working for me was giving the section with the OTP field a name. For example, when you click on a login item that does not support OTP yet and you edit it and click the green plus button to bring up the OTP section, it brings up two fields -- one, a section name, and two the OTP field. I tried multiple times to just scan Google QR code to enable OTP, but it never stuck. Once I added a section name, it worked. It continued to work even after I removed the section name. It also works on other login items the first time without setting a section name. I could not reproduce the bug again, despite reliably reproducing it time after time before. I suspect it is a subtle bug, hit on the first time OTP is setup on any login item on a vault (or possible app-wide).

FWIW, YMMV

Noren

• moritz
    moritz
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Noren, with your suggestion I was able to solve the issue!

• Glad to hear it is working!

• noren
    noren
    Community Member
    Options

@moritz I'm glad I was able to help. I originally came here searching for the answer and came across your post. When I stumbled on the solution (by dumb luck), I made an account just to post it on the off chance it would work for you and others.

@hayesk If you're capturing this for the developer team, I'm using iOS 8.1.3 (12B466) and 1Password Pro 5.2 (502015) on an iPhone 6.

• Thanks @noren, I'll take note of that.

• vbons
    vbons
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, Outlook gives you the ability for two-step authentication, I could get 1password to scan the QR-Code and it showed me the new TOTP password, however on saving and then going back to the login on 1password the TOTP field was gone.
    any ideas why this would disappear? thanks Vince

• vbons
    vbons
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @noren, it worked for my outlook issue.

• vbons
    vbons
    Community Member
    Options

@noren pointed me in the right direction in another post. problem solved..

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

For others reading this thread the solution to the problem is in this post.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

@vbons, thanks for confirming the workaround solved the problem for you as well! :smiley:

Edit: I merged your other thread about this issue into this discussion.

This discussion has been closed.