1Password fails to load after software update

Options
rmercer33
rmercer33
Community Member

Just updated iPassword5 because of prompt of newly available update. now 1Password crashes on startup. I running Yosemite v 10.10.1.

I would like to report this directly to support and not have to go through the forum, but didn't see an option to do that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

Comments

• Hi @rmercer33,

I'm sorry to hear about crashes. Can you email us your diagnostic report to support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread.

Let me know when you sent it, so we can look into it.

Thanks!

• rmercer33
    rmercer33
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks MikeT, the report has just been sent.

• mgason
    mgason
    Community Member
    Options

I will join thread rather than join this one. I just did the same on Yosemite 10.10.1 and same result. I am emailing diagnostic report too

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Me three, although I am now on Yosemite 10.10.2. I do not sync any of my passwords, so deleting everything and reinstalling is not a good option for me. Would you rather have a separate thread for each of us? Sent diagnostic report...

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member
    Options

Any motion on this issue, which is clearly not a one-off for people?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

One thing you can try, which won't affect your 1P data so long as you follow the instructions, is this:

1. Drag the 1P app to the trash (don't use any app cleaner tool, which is likely to try to delete files you need to keep).
    2. Empty the trash and reboot.
    3. Re-download and re-install 1P.

The important part is not to use any app cleaner tool.

Stephen

• gkern
    gkern
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen C's suggestion did fix my issue.

• rmercer33
    rmercer33
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Stephen, your suggestion did the trick. =)

• Hi guys,

@rmercer33,

I got the email, thanks. Unfortunately, the report couldn't get the crash reports. Based on what I'm seeing in your report, it looks like after the update was installed, the crash reporting tool library was stripped from the app, which caused it to start crashing.

A simple reinstall of the new app file with the library included will fix this as you already confirmed this.

We are investigating on this strange issue and try to include a few workarounds to prevent the library from being stripped out.

@DerringCo, you don't have to delete anything, just a simple reinstall of the app file itself will fix this if your issue is the same one reported here. Follow the instructions in Stephen_C's post 7 and hopefully, that'll fix the issue.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

My wife just acted on the update prompt for the update to version 5. She was met with a crash report. When she tried to reopen 1Password 5, it crashed again. I deleted the app and downloaded it again from the web store. It then opened, but it complained about an older version of mini running. To be safe, I closed 1Password and mini and restarted. Things have bee normal since, or at least appear to be. I'm not sure what to make of the mini message. I suppose mini from the old version was still running, even though the main application would only crash. I'm hoping that she is now running the appropriate version of mini. We did not submit a crash report. Alas, I forgot in the anxiety to her be back up and running.

So, it appears that she's OK (unless you notice something I've missed), but I did think it was worth reporting that something became corrupted when she attempted to update. This sounds like the other similar experiences reported by others. Corruption of some kind seems to be at least an occasional problem for at least some users.

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to Stephen and Mike and hawkmoth for the direction and help. This did solve my problem. But there is always a bolt of terror when an app one relies on so much doesn't behave as one expects... even with backups in place.

This reinforces my feeling to ignore all upgrade pop-ups until weeks after one has been annoyed with them the first time. 8-) Thanks again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I genuinely thought we'd gotten the hang of this :(

At least you all know that if anything like this happens again that downloading a fresh copy of the application will resolve most woes. I do apologise that it happened and I genuinely get why it's a moment of panic given what we all store in our vaults.

This discussion has been closed.