Show on start

Options
JVCS909
JVCS909
Community Member

Hi,

I am new to this forum and i've used the search but i can't find any topic about it.
What i really would like to have is a setting:

-Show on start (Favourites, Catogories, Organize etc.)
-Remember last page (Remember where you left off, this is standard now)
-Open with search (This is how i would like to use it.)

I use my 1password always the same way but i can imagine this isn't the same for everyone.
Now i have to tap three times before i can search.

Is this an idea?

Cheers

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JVCS909,

Thanks for your feedback! Normally, when you open 1Password, it should remember where you were when you left, and bring you back to that spot. There are a few circumstances where that doesn't happen as expected, and our developers are working on improving that. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

As for being able to search as soon as you open/unlock 1Password, if you are on the Categories page when you leave the app, then assuming it opens to Categories the next time, you only need to tap once (in the Search field at the top) to do that. Is that more along the lines of what you're looking for?

• capt996
    capt996
    Community Member
    Options

i cannot seem to find the show on start setting in the new version. my app always goes to favorites, even though i never use them. i always go to categories and that is the only page i use but each time i open app, it is back to favorites. any reason it hanged in this version?

• Hi @capt996,

There is no "show on start" option. The above mention of it was a feature request.

In the latest version (5.2), we fixed a bug and the app should now remember which screen you were on when you left. Is that not working for you?

• JVCS909
    JVCS909
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your feedback! Normally, when you open 1Password, it should remember where you were when you left, and bring you back to that spot

This is how the app respons now.
    What i would like is the option (In settings preferably) to search on start. 1Password is almost always in background in my workflow.
    So if the password page is open and you leave the app, then go back, if i want to go to another password from another site/app i have to do a few taps to get there.

As for being able to search as soon as you open/unlock 1Password, if you are on the Categories page when you leave the app, then assuming it opens to Categories the next time,

This way i have to remember to go back to the catogories page before closing the app.

Maybe a possibility would be to put a search bar/button on every page, even on a password page next to the edit button?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JVCS909, thanks for the clarification! I can't make any promises of course, but I can definitely send your feedback to our developers. I can see how those options could be useful. Thanks for letting us know! :)

• JVCS909
    JVCS909
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1:

• JVCS909
    JVCS909
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I've thought about it a little more. Maybe an even better solution would be if you swype down from anywhere in the app the search bar would appear. This because the pulldown function does nothing on any page in the app and furthermore i like the search function in the catagories page very much!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JVCS909 ,

That's a pretty great suggestion! I'll pass that along to our developers.

ref: OPI-2310

• capt996
    capt996
    Community Member
    Options

hi jasper. no it is not working for me. everytime i open the app it always goes back to the favorites even though i never use it. i always just go to categories - logins. that is it, yet when i open it the next time, it is back to favorites.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @capt996,

Can you please confirm the exact version of 1Password you have installed? In the 1Password app, you can find the version number on the Settings screen, right below the Recommend 1Password option. Also, what iOS device are you using, and what version of iOS?

Thanks! :)

ref: OPI-2328

• capt996
    capt996
    Community Member
    Options

ipad Air. Model MD787LL/A iOS version 8.2
    1password version 5.3

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@capt996: Ah! I actually have the same setup here, but I'm afraid I'm not seeing this behavior.

The best thing to do would be to generate a diagnostic report in 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics (under Log Settings enable the App and UI logs) > Send Diagnostics (you’ll have to scroll to the bottom) so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Please also include a link to this forum thread in the email as well as your forum username so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing the same thing. If I close the app after viewing categories completely (double click on home button then slide to close the app), when I next open it, it takes me to the empty favorites screen. If I just 'reopen' the app without closing it as desribed above, it take back to where I was. If I am in the tags screen when I close, it returns me to the categories screen. It appears to return the screen above from where I was. Categories returns me to favorites; tags returns me to categories.

Hope this is clear. Tested on my iPad air with iOS 8.2 and ip5.3

• Hi @rlgleason51 ,

Apologies if you know this already, but the reason you are seeing that behavior when you double-click the home button and sliding is that you are effectively "killing the app" or stopping the app dead in its tracks; not just closing it. The effect of it is that are not giving the app a chance to save your last location. That method is not the recommended way to close an app (any app, not just 1Password). So when you restart it, the app doesn't know which tab you were last on, so it picks the first one. Also, many apps need to do "cleanup" when you close the app, so just pressing the home button once gives them a chance to do that. If they don't get that chance, you may see bugs or other odd behavior in some of your apps (e.g. networking issues, settings or documents not saved, etc.) after you start them again. The only time you should use the double-click home and slide method is when an app is not behaving properly (i.e. it's frozen, won't start up, or is doing a background task when it shouldn't be).

Now there is some work we are doing on the app because in some cases, it doesn't remember, and we are working on that. But I don't recommend killing the app each unless something is wrong. And if that's the case, please let us know.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I had always closed the app via the home button to return to the home screen then double tapped home to close as I had read it saved battery life. I will cease doing that.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51 ,

I'm glad that Kevin was able to explain things here! (I may have learned a little something too while reading his post.) :)

• skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member
    Options

I never force quit the app, but in the latest version I am also seeing 1Password open to the "Categories" screen instead of "Favorites," which is where I almost always end my app usage. This was working fine up until the latest release.

• Hi @skylarp ,

Thanks for letting us know. We will be fixing this.

• capt996
    capt996
    Community Member
    Options

Strange that mine still goes to favorites instead of categories like I want.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@capt996: Make sure you aren't force-quitting it, because that will prevent 1Password from even trying to do this saving. As hayesk mentioned, a fix is in the works for those having issues with 1Password 'saving' your place. Cheers! :)

• capt996
    capt996
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. Have never forced quit the app. So hopefully the saving your place does not just open. Act up to favorites again. Seems like it was the last update or so when this changed. Because previously it would always go to the page I was on previously (categories).
    Thanks for your help

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. :)

This discussion has been closed.