Database Backup Failed

philiptevans
philiptevans
Community Member

I upgraded the version a few days ago to Version 5.1 the 'Synceriffic' one. I have been getting this message saying it can't be backed up and that I don't have permission to save the file "Backups" in the 1Password folder.

Any help to correct this would be appreciated, the message pops up frequently.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@philiptevans

Can you confirm the version of 1Password you are running ? What version you updated from ? What version of OS X are you running ?

The screen shot appears to be an icon for 1Password 3 while you say you are now running 1Password 5. Several things here could be in play, your on the wrong version of 1Password, you have left over pieces of the old install still on the system, etc

When you provide the details we should be in a better situation to help.

• LRT2
    LRT2
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

I'm having a simular problem how can I fix it?

• LRT2
    LRT2
    Community Member

I'm using 1Password 5.1 on a iMac OSX Yosemite 10.10.2

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@LRT2 please look at this knowledge base article which appears to refer to the exact error message and suggests a solution.

Stephen

• philiptevans
    philiptevans
    Community Member

@ thightower

Thanks for responding.

I'm using v5.1 on MacBook Pro Retina, OS 10.10.2

A few days ago, I think I accidentally loaded the older version of 1Password when attempting to start the new version using spotlight.

I didn't know I had older versions on the system (I've been on the latest version of 1Password since it came out).

I found an alternate folder inside /applications/1password, and I deleted all of that (this was a few days ago).

The message has started to increase in frequency since a few days ago.

Thanks for helping, Best Phil

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2015

@philiptevans

1Password 5 is designed for Yosemite only. Your using the right version on the right OS.
    Please check the knowledge base article @stephen_c linked to in the post above yours.

At this point, I would recommend a reboot and allow OS X to restart 1Password and the mini process. This should clear out any old version of 1Password that are running. Just incase some piece of an older version was activated by accident.

Once, you reboot. follow the advise in the knowledge base article.

If things continue to be wonky you may need to let the staff take a closer look at your system. They can do this through a diagnostic report. Please don't generate one yet. They may not need it. They like to do the asking. :wink:

Thinking out loud here. I had a folder like that in my applications folder at one time. It was created when I had a version of 1Password installed and downloaded a copy from the Mac App Store. I mistakenly thought it would overwrite the previous version. It would not as the earlier version was the website version.

Did you download your updated copy by purchasing it from the Mac App Store ? Updating over a version from website much like I tried ?

I will also ping in an admin as I think... I have enough questions asked and they can make an opinion. That is if the knowledge base article doesn't help you.

cc @Megan @littlebobbytables

• philiptevans
    philiptevans
    Community Member

I tried your recommendations, and no messages after about 30 mins. I'll let you know if any appear again. Thanks for your help.

• LRT2
    LRT2
    Community Member

Steven,
    I tried what you said, but I must have screwed something up either before or after see error messages. Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @philiptevans

It sounds like thightower has you all sorted out. In case you receive any further messages here's a link to our guide on removing 1Password 3 from your system, Completely Uninstalling 1Password. Removal of the program is part of it but there are other components. The guide covers both an automated removal but what might be also useful a guide for manually doing so as well. That way you can check yourself.

Fingers crossed though you won't need it (but just in case).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LRT2

Here's what I suggest.

1. Quit both 1Password and 1Password mini. You can do this with the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q when 1Password is open (it doesn't have to be unlocked).
    2. Drag the 1Password application from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash.
    3. Reboot your Mac.
    4. Download 1Password again from the same place you purchased it. So via Apple's App Store application if you're a MAS user and from our AgileBits Download page if you're a Agile Web Store (AWS) customer.

Let us know if that helps at all.

• LRT2
    LRT2
    Community Member

Yes the last suggestion solved the problem...thank you all

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear everything is working once again @LRT2 :smile:

This discussion has been closed.