Not syncing by Dropbox--losing passwords. So frustrated I'm about to cry.

Options
MattOKC
MattOKC
Community Member

I just bought 1P 5.1 from the MAS two days ago, and at first I thought it was genius! Now I'm wishing I'd read these forums first, and knew there is a problem with getting passwords distributed to all of my computers on my 1P account.

I have three computers (Mac Yosemite), and opted to sync via dropbox. Should be simple, right? NO!

Using Facebook as an example:
If I change /my Facebook password on my main computer, that works fine. I go to my other computers and use 1P to re-login to Facebook on those. So far, so good.

And then it gets weird. If I change my FB password on my main computer again, the other computers don't catch up anymore. They do NOT upgrade to the new password via Dropbox sync. Instead, Facebook refuses, saying that I've entered an old password. It's as if they worked once and then stopped ever updating via dropbox again, even though it says "Most recent sync: 2 minutes ago". It most certainly did NOT update my passwords, I can tell you that!

I've tried all the tricks here, like changing sync preferences to "None" and then back to "Dropbox" and refinding my Dropbox folder just to kickstart a new sync. Nope!

Basically, 1P worked for the first attempt to change my password across 3 computers (plus phone), but if I try to change a password a subsequent time my other computers are still stuck on the old one, never updating.

At one point I went to my main computer where all the passwords worked, chose "sync to none," DELETED the Dropbox info, then re-synced my lone working 1P computer to Dropbox, hoping that would distribute a fresh set of good data to all my other computers. Nope, my other computer vaults still have the old, useless data in them, and simply refuse to update to the new stuff.

At this moment, I am actually locked out of my own Facebook account on all but one computer, and I'm terrified that 1P is going to screw THAT up too, since it can't seem to keep its own data current across my machines. I've even resorted to revealing the password and pasting it into an email to myself so I can get into FB on my ther computers, because that's how primitive a workaround it takes to bypass 1P's faults.

I tried deleting Facebook from my local vault, hoping that syncing with Dropbox would introduce a new replacement for it with the fresh data. No, a replacement never appears--because 1P just fails to retrieve sync data. (Just tried it again: "Last synced a second ago," but not a single new bit of data retrieved from Dropbox, and no new entry for Facebook, etc., for my local vault to get new updated data.)

I could just cry. This is supposed to just work, and instead it's been hours upon hours of stress and panic and terror. I've trusted this app to manage ALL my passwords, and now I find that it can't sync them currently and distributes old, obsolete data out to my computers instead of new Dropbox data.

I'm in worse shape than back when I used one crummy password for all my logins because it was easy.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MattOKC

I do apologise that you're having such hassle with syncing.

The first thing I'd like to do is confirm that Dropbox syncing in general is working. If you add a new file to your Dropbox from your working computer does the file appear on the other machines?

If it doesn't then we've found the culprit. For whatever reason Dropbox syncing isn't working so the machines can't pick up the new .agilekeychain.

If it does then it's something else. What I would suggest is disabling Dropbox syncing on all the machines, delete the .agilekeychain from your Dropbox space, making sure you don't have multiple .agilekeychains present and then set up syncing on the working machine once more.

Once it says everything is synced I would recommend trying 1PasswordAnywhere to ensure the .agilekeychain contains the correct password. Then try enabling sync on the other machines once more.

Let us know the results of all of this and if needed we can continue the troubleshooting process.

This discussion has been closed.