That blank look [Known issue, working on a fix]

Options
southernforge
southernforge
Community Member
edited February 2015 in iOS

...or more specifically, what I routinely see now when I switch from 1Password to another app, and then return to 1Password after a few minutes. The attached screenshot is what I see regularly now - this was from 10 minutes ago, and it really is not okay, but unfortunately I have become conditioned to just keep expecting more bugs every day with version 5.2. Touch ID is enabled, and this image is what I get before even touching the sensor. The 'unlock 1Password (or cancel)' screen would come up - but in the case, it never does...

How is this supposed to be fixed, and why is it happening? Thank you.

Comments

• Bill_W
    Bill_W
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing this also. I have to close 1PW from the task manager together into the app.

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, @Bill_W that, that is what I have to do, exactly!
    Guys, please fix this. Your app used to be reliable and "just work" but that is no longer the case - very frustrating!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @southernforge and @Bill_W ,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password! I'll admit, I haven't seen this (and I switch back and forth to 1Password a lot doing various testy things...) Are there any reproducible steps that lead to this? I've just tried switching back and forth between 1Password several times, and the Touch ID prompt appears reliably each time.

Of course, if there is something wonky going on, we want to fix it. And reproducing it is the first step along that path, so if you could keep an eye on things there and let us know what happens prior to seeing that pane, we'd really appreciate it!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I can report that this happened to me once recently on my 1Phone 6. I also took a screenshot that looked exactly like @southernforge's. It hasn't recurred, so I decided to ignore it, but now it looks like it wasn't just a gremlin. I deleted the screenshot after I decided not to report it.

Edit: I doubt it would help, but I was able to retrieve that screenshot from my recently deleted photos.

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @Megan thank you. I will do my best to describe the reproducible situation where this issue arises - and I would like to mention it happens at least twice a day. Of late, I would open 1Password to login to this discussion forum for reading and commenting. In this process I might leave 1Password to open Evernote to retrieve information, and then I have to leave the phone for 2-5 minutes. Upon returning to the phone, I will unlock it and switch to 1Password - and, voila! I get 'that blank look.' that means that I can not access the forum where I was typing something in a post ... because I have to close down 1Password and restart it to login here again... so I wrote down my password for this forum and put it under my computer's keyboard so that I can access the forum from the PC - the kind of situation which 1Password supposedly makes no longer necessary - but which absolutely is necessary with this version of the app. There most definitely is something wonky going on - and it NEEDS to be fixed - and I appreciate your looking in to it. Do you want log files, and does this information help you?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @southernforge,

Thanks so much for providing those steps for me. I'm testing it right now ... so far, no luck, but I'll be sure to send the steps along to our development team to see if any of them can reproduce this.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been forced to write down a password - that's certainly something we strive to help you avoid!

ref: OPI-2266

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan - seems that this happens after my phone's auto-lock feature has engaged - in case that helps.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @southernforge,

Well, from a testing standpoint, being able to reproduce the issue consistently is wonderful, as it means that we can more easily track down the bug ... but I am sorry that you're dealing with this! I've spoken with our developers about this, and they're working to get this bug resolved just as soon as possible. (It sounds like other people on the team have been able to reproduce this as well, so we have a good start!)

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

@Megan - fixing this would return this app to one I like using and that I can depend on. Currently I am avoiding it as much as possible because its usefulness has been severely diminished. Post-it notes and notepad text files are highly insecure, but that's what I'm having to do as a workaround ... not good! Thank you for working to resolve this.

• We've seen a few issues about this - it was with users with an iPhone 6 or 6+ with zoom mode turned on. Does this describe your phone? If so, does turning zoom mode off make the issue go away?

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    Options

No. My phone is a 5s.

• @southernforge We also have a change coming to the way we present Touch ID in 1Password 5.2.1 (currently in review at Apple). Once that is released and you've updated I would be interested to know if that fixes your issue.

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni I would be too - will let you know after it has been released and I've updated the app. btw - do you recommend removal of the app followed by installing from the app store (and then restoring), or just updating the existing install? Thanks.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@southernforge just updating the app should work just fine. There is no need to reinstall the app completely.

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member
    Options

@Winnie - thanks for the information :+1:

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of Winnie and the rest of the team you are very welcome!

This discussion has been closed.