Feature Request: Adding a photo or other attachment on iOS

Options
JamesBonde
JamesBonde
Community Member
edited June 2016 in iOS

Can someone please tell me how to add a photo on iOS ? This should be something very simple and I'm hoping this feature is available. Having an iPhone w a camera and being able to keep a copy of a photo would seem so obvious.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I agree that this would be desirable, but so far, you can only attach files (including photos) to 1Password records on the Mac or Windows versions. They sync over to iOS devices, where you can see them or delete them. But so far, you can't add them on an iPhone.

Although AgileBits doesn't announce in advance what the future may hold and I don't work there either, I think it's likely that this ability will arrive in a future update at an undetermined time. Many users have requested this, and the developers are aware of that.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JamesBonde,

as @hawkmoth said already: it is currently indeed not possible to attach images or other files to 1Password on iOS. We are aware that a lot of user would like to have that feature (including me btw) and it is on our radar. I just can't make any promises to when this feature will become available.

• JamesBonde
    JamesBonde
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks. I can't believe for all the money I spent on the Mac version as well as the iPhone version- that feature is not part of your app. The programs work great and are rated as one of the best - if not THE best in it's class- but that is just rediculous. Other companies offer the simple iphone usage- how can such an expensive app not have that capability in this day and age ?! Please get that feature implemented....

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JamesBonde,

Thanks for the feedback here! I would love to see this feature on iOS as well, and as Winnie mentioned, it is on our radar.

Now, it sounds from your original post that you might be looking to store copies of your photos in 1Password as a backup. I just wanted to let you know that 1Password wouldn't be the best app for this type of thing. 1Password can store photos as attachments, but at this time we don't have plans to store photo libraries. If I've misunderstood your post, please disregard this, and we'll consider your vote added for adding photo attachments directly via the iOS app. :)

ref: OPI-1027

• JamesBonde
    JamesBonde
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I was just thinking of 1 or 2 photos as an attachment. BUT...I dont know why Agile doesnt either allow a "Photo" section or create another app thats just for photo usage. Another concept that seem s SO obvious that AB should do...

Thanks

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I dont know why Agile doesnt either allow a "Photo" section or create another app thats just for photo usage. Another concept that seem s SO obvious that AB should do...

It may not be quite so obvious when you think of what 1Password has to do. Many of us sync our 1P data between a Mac (for example) and our iOS devices. Having many photos stored in 1P would substantially increase the overhead for synchronisation of data (to say nothing of the storage requirement which may be limited on hand held devices). 1P simply wasn't designed as an app to store photos. That's not to say, of course, that it's not perfectly suited to store the odd image (perhaps associated with an identity) or pdf (passports, driving licences, etc.).

I appreciate you also referred to creation of another app by AgileBits. I suspect AgileBits, which is a relatively small company, has its hands full with 1P at present and couldn't currently contemplate starting work on another app—especially when there are already apps on the market which do what you want (try searching for "secure photo storage" and the relevant OS).

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

You might check out Knox, which is anothe Agileabits product that is designed to encrypt large and many files.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just to clarify though, Knox is a Mac only application.

I don't see us getting into the photo storage area. Attachments (which we support in conjunction with 1Password for Mac) pertaining to a Login item or bank card etc. I can understand although not something I make use of much myself. Your interest has been noted along with others that have requested such a feature and we do realise that we have iOS users that only use the iOS version and don't use it as a companion app to the desktop version. As we've said though, we can't comment on a timeframe for this particular request - sorry.

• JamesBonde
    JamesBonde
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I understand all of this. I already own Knox.

To reply to Stephen: That's not to say, of course, that it's not perfectly suited to store the odd image (perhaps associated with an identity) or pdf (passports, driving licences, etc.). Thats exactly what I was thinking it should be for. I know you can do do it on the Mac app but not on the iOS - which is what I was saying was ridiculous. The Iphone has a camera and if you want to capture a picture of an ID card or license or the such and add it directly in 1P, you should definitely be able to do that directly from the Iphone.

• Ben
    Options

We do appreciate the feedback, @JamesBonde. Adding attachments from iOS has been a popular request. Our developers are definitely looking into it, unfortunately it just simply hasn't made it into a release yet. I'll be sure to nudge them again.

• BillLakeVilla
    BillLakeVilla
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with everyone that what we are asking at least for me is to have pics of our photo id's, passports, etc. Most of us are not attempting to use it to store photo albums. Just add the ability to select a photo from library or take a picture, that's it. To me that should put this issue to rest for most folks.

• Thanks for the vote @BillLakeVilla.

• markalanevans
    markalanevans
    Community Member
    Options

+1 I have my insurance card and i'd love to take a photo of it and put it in there.

• Hi all,

Thanks for all of the votes for this feature. It does make a difference when prioritizing what feature we implement.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• paddie
    paddie
    Community Member
    Options

In denmark, the predominant way of authenticating against government authorities, banks etc. is through a series of one-time number pairs. The organ you are attempting to authenticate against asks for the first number in a pair, and to log in, you have to provide the matching number. Once they run out, the card is tossed and you get a new one in the mail.

I would love to use 1Password for this, perhaps an item that can take x number of pictures (they come in series of 3 separate cards) and that are easily replaced (although I could easily delete and create a new one).

I would just need to access and view them on a pseudo-frequent basis, and I'm currently forced to keep them in my wallet which is a right pain.

So, on top of having pictures of passport and id cards etc. it would be nice to have a dedicated secure image vault that can potentially take multiple pictures, but this is the only case where I would need multiple secure images in the same context, at least for my sake.

+1

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

Thanks for the continued feedback on this issue. For those who are not aware, images can be attached to items from 1Password for Windows or 1Password for Mac and synced over via iCloud or Dropbox (or, WiFi, on Mac). So if you have a Mac or Windows PC handy you may be able to accomplish this. Note that the Pro features in-app purchase is required to view attachments in 1Password for iOS.

Thanks!

Ben

• jjsolomon
    jjsolomon
    Community Member
    Options

Additional vote for adding simple images with iOS. When someone asks for ID I want to be able to show a photo of my DL. And it is kinda ugly to have to take a picture with my phone, send it to a PC, then attach it so I can view it on my phone again

• Ben
    Options

I don't disagree, @jjsolomon. Unfortunately there is a fair amount of infrastructure work that needs to happen before we can implement this, and with out current focus on 1Password for Teams and Families it is unlikely we'll be able to complete that in the imediate future.

This is still on the radar as a possibility for the future, but it is a more distant blip than most of us would like. Sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for.

Ben

• smtranter
    smtranter
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for adding images (i.e., license, passport, etc) -- i purchased "pro" on iOS because I was under the impression that was one of the features (and the only one I was interested in or have use for). And it's simply not in my budget to spend $50 for the desktop version to add a total of 3-5 images.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @smtranter. I'm sorry to hear about the confusion. If you only have 3-5 images that you want to add you should be able to do so using the trial version of the desktop product. Perhaps not ideal, but it should accomplish the task for you.

Ben

• bmoorhouse1
    bmoorhouse1
    Community Member
    Options

"with out current focus on 1Password for Teams and Families it is unlikely we'll be able to complete that in the imediate future."

Translation: Until we finish work on a new way to turn a profit, we won't add another feature we should have added long ago. I guess it shouldn't be upsetting as the whole point in developing software is to turn a profit, but the stance is still disappointing.

• Ben
    Options

I realize your post was a bit tongue in cheek, but yes, obviously we want AgileBits to be a profitable company for a long time to come. If we don't make a profit we can't continue to provide the high quality software folks have come to expect from us.

Ben

• crazyninjamaster
    crazyninjamaster
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like this feature added also for adding a photo of an ID card of some sort. I was surprised to see that you don't have that option on the phone, but it is possible on the desktop version.

• Ben
    Options

@crazyninjamaster,

Thanks for the feedback! This is definitely something we'd like to do in the future but I don't have a clear picture of what shape it'll take, or when, at this point.

Ben

• floki
    floki
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I purchased the 1Password pro Version on iOS since I was under the impression that it has the feature to add photos to 1password unfortunately it hasnt and thats really a lack of Features.
    I am really not interessted in buying the pro Version for Desktop.
    However, I am really hoping to see this needed feature soon as personally I cannot think of any reason why ist not there already.

thanks

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, Floki! Like Ben said, this is something we'd like to do in the future, but right now we're focused on other features and support for 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. Hopefully we'll get this out to you sooner rather than later :)

• roar714
    roar714
    Community Member
    Options

Another strong nudge for this feature. I noticed that mSecure has an iOS add in now for photos. One does wonder about the market research guiding current AgileBits development efforts (family over individual user). Hope it's on task for the long run, when the neglected turtle crosses the finish line.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @roar714,

Thanks for adding your vote here. :)

• Jom
    Jom
    Community Member
    Options

Im waiting so much time for this feature. Pleaaase

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Jom,

I’m happy to add a vote for you to the issue in our internal tracker. :) I’m with you, it would be a nifty feature!

This discussion has been closed.