Feature Request: Adding a photo or other attachment on iOS

Options

Comments

• DontStressit
    DontStressit
    Community Member
    Options

I would like this feature too please. Thank you for a great product which can only get better with this feature.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That could be super convenient to be able to add attachments when away from a computer. Thanks for letting us know you'd appreciate that too! :)

• dcrosb123
    dcrosb123
    Community Member
    Options

I just registered so that I could comment and say that I would also greatly appreciate this feature being available. I'm a bit surprised it's not a much higher priority based on previous staff comments. This would really step up the functionality of the stored documents feature. Since most people would be taking pictures of any documents using their phone, it seems extremely cumbersome to have to take a photo, email it to yourself, get on the desktop app, add it, etc. Not to mention this adds another layer of possible security breach.

In short, please bump this feature up the list!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Since most people would be taking pictures of any documents using their phone, it seems extremely cumbersome

Given the availability of different sync options that obviate the need to email photos to yourself, that seems a little overstated ;)

Not to mention this adds another layer of possible security breach.

How? (I'm genuinely curious.)

I'm a bit surprised it's not a much higher priority based on previous staff comments.

We have a lot of things in the works, many of which are just as or more exciting than this. Hopefully it'll come soon, but we're excited to be able to share some of the other cool things we've been working on, too.

• oakrrl
    oakrrl
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding my voice to these requests. REWARD CARDS: a hassle carrying reward cards around. Would be nice to take a photo and store in 1PW, to use for merchant to scan in.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote, @oakrrl!

Ben

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

@nmott > Hopefully it'll come soon, but we're excited to be able to share some of the other cool things we've been working on, too> so are you going to share them?

This feature has been requested multiple times over the last year that I know of, probably longer. Doesn't something that lots of people have told you they want take priority over things that you think are cool?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tonydow when they're ready, sure!

This feature has been requested multiple times over the last year that I know of, probably longer. Doesn't something that lots of people have told you they want take priority over things that you think are cool?

I don't work on the development team, so I'm sure a great deal many things take priority over stuff that I think is cool.

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

@nmott Despite your flippant response I still feel you ( that is Agilebits ) should take more note of things your customers have been requesting for a long time and would seem to be an obvious feature to have on a device which has camera when it is already included on platforms for devices which don't.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tonydow: Not at all. nmott was trying to respond in a playful way to your remarks, and I'm sorry that you got the wrong impression as a result. It's definitely challenging to convey certain things in black and white when there is so much grey. The message sent is never the message received.

Now, it may not have been the answer you were looking for, but it's the truth: We almost never pre-announce anything. But we've already shared a lot of cool things in 2016, including 1Password Families, 1Password for Android version 6, and, more recently, the beta for 1Password for Windows version 6 -- not to mention a number of releases for iOS and macOS. These things don't come easy, and they can't happen over night. And because of that, we try to avoid talking about them until we really have something to share, otherwise it's a bit of a tease -- sort of how I feel right now about watchOS version 3!

I don't think we have any iOS users here who wouldn't be excited to have this requested feature in 1Password for iOS, but we can't simply drop everything else and build it from the ground up on whim. And you probably wouldn't want us to! Instead, if and when we announce a camera/attachment feature for 1Password for iOS, it will almost certainly be after a lot of development and testing when it's ready for you and our awesome customers to use. It's a high bar, but that's what people -- including us -- expect from 1Password. :)

• jjsolomon
    jjsolomon
    Community Member
    Options

Other apps that are similar allow you to add images. If this isn't implemented soon I am moving my stuff to one of those since I need images for passport, etc. At least include the desktop version for free if people purchase Pro since images should be part of base functionality.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

@jjsolomon: I think that kind of ultimatum is pretty unreasonable. But hey, if you find that another app out there better meets your needs, I think it's perfectly understandable to use it! Any technology is just a tool to get things done, and I use the ones that fit my needs best too. 1Password isn't meant to be the only tool in anyone's toolbox, and any time we add a new feature we want it to not only be a good fit, but to be polished.

But I think it's important to keep perspective: you and I didn't pay for this feature, as it doesn't exist. You're behaving as if we've promised you something and haven't delivered, but unless you just paid for it within the last few weeks, 1Password is actually much more capable now than when you made your purchase. I don't know about you, but I only wish that I could say the same about other products I've purchased. Most don't get substantially better without me paying something more. And in additional to numerous improvements, folks who bought 1Password 4 (as I did in 2012) have gotten two major upgrades for free. By any standard, that's pretty awesome.

Now, I know you really want this new feature as much — or perhaps more — than I do, but it seems odd to treat is as an entitlement when it would really be an additional benefit, were we to add it in the future. Maybe it's a glass-half-empty/full sort of thing. But even if you choose to view the 1Password "glass" as "half-empty", that's the glass you paid for, and if and when we "fill it up" with more features, that will be a bonus for you and all of our awesome customers. And I guess when it comes to adopting a view on these sorts of things, it's all about choices.

And regarding the desktop version of 1Password, it isn't possible to bundle it with the mobile apps. But even if it were, I don't think we'll be giving that away for free with a 10$ in-app purchase. We put a lot of work into developing, testing, and supporting it (and each of our other products), and we can't work for free any more than you perhaps can. And I don't imagine you'd be willing to either. :(

• jjsolomon
    jjsolomon
    Community Member
    Options

When you have categories like Driver's License and Passport it isn't a stretch to assume that you would actually be able to see your Driver's License and Passport in these categories. Therefore I mistakenly assumed it was there when I purchased pro. I'm not asking for free new features and I am developer too so I get the "you have to pay for stuff" soapbox. I would also mention that while you may be technically correct in your responses your snarky tone leaves a bit to be desired in the customer service realm.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @jjsolomon!

It is possible to view attachments (such as photos of Passports etc) in 1Password for iOS, but it is not possible to add them directly from iOS. That is something we'd like to improve in the future. Right now those items would need to be added from one of our desktop products.

While I'd guess that most of the folks in this thread are using standalone vaults, I do want to point out that 1Password for iOS 6.5.BETA-5 includes a function that allows for Document creation within 1Password Families and 1Password Teams vaults. Documents can be photos, PDFs, Office documents, etc. Hopefully that will make it through beta testing and into the next release, though I can't make any guarantee of that. Though not the same as the attachments found with standalone vaults, that would be one way to accomplish, essentially, what is being requested here.

I don't have any news to share in regard to standalone vaults at this time.

Thanks!

Ben

• jjsolomon
    jjsolomon
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @bwoodruff that is a much more helpful customer centric response

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2016
    Options

Glad to hear it. :+1: :)

Ben

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty > You're behaving as if we've promised you something and haven't delivered> Agreed, you havn't promised anything which is quite understandable but you and others have been saying for over a year that this would be a good idea and that you would hope to implement it in the future. I think people are becoming disillusioned with the same old response being given every time.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2016
    Options

@tonydow,

Because we don't make commitments or talk about future plans much it is essentially the same response we give for most feature requests. Our development team is aware of the desire for it, many of us would love to have it ourselves, and ideally we'd be able to implement it at some point. But that is in no way intended to be any commitment beyond what we often say: "we'll consider it for the future."

Not all feature requests, even great ones that we on the team ourselves would love to have, can come to fruition. For whatever reason. Sometimes we'll even start developing something and run into a road block (see WebDAV). Sometimes we can pick it back up later on and try again and sometimes not. So we intentionally try to be very vague when responding to feature requests.

I totally understand the desire for more information, but we also have a strong desire to not make promises we can't keep. It is heartbreaking when we do.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Agreed, you havn't promised anything which is quite understandable but you and others have been saying for over a year that this would be a good idea and that you would hope to implement it in the future. I think people are becoming disillusioned with the same old response being given every time.

@tonydow: That's an excellent point! I only wish that we could implement every good idea out there. It's a long list, and I know that would make a lot of people happy — myself included. But we want to make sure we don't bite off more than we can chew. While it can be disappointing, I think it's better to have a few great features than loads of lame ones. We'll keep trying to add more though, as time and people power permits. Thanks for your honesty.

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I appreciate that you have a long list of feature requests. I see them popping up in the forums regularly. However this one does stand out as being one that comes up much more often than all the others from what I have observed (with the exception of Linux :)
    It would be really good if you could publish the list in the way that Microsoft does with their Outlook app. Can I put that forward as a feature request ;)

• Ben
    Options

Haha, yes, I'll certainly note it as a feature request. As per usual, no promises though. ;)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

@brenty I appreciate that you have a long list of feature requests. I see them popping up in the forums regularly. However this one does stand out as being one that comes up much more often than all the others from what I have observed (with the exception of Linux :) It would be really good if you could publish the list in the way that Microsoft does with their Outlook app. Can I put that forward as a feature request ;)

@tonydow: Awesome. So awesome. Thanks for the feedback, and humour! :love:

• iReza
    iReza
    Community Member
    Options

Pictures of Reward Cards or Medical Cards would be great! I wanted to add my Medical Aid card number and I don't see any category for that. I really prefer to keep all my important and vital data in 1Password. I'm a big fan of this app and wish it become only better.
    Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your support, encouragement, and letting us know that you'd also appreciate being able to capture photos in 1Password. Hopefully we'll be able to add that feature down the road. :)

• seedy_applewhen
    seedy_applewhen
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for adding photos and pdfs from iOS to 1P

Pleeeeeez ;)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @seedy_applewhen, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your '+1' interest in this feature. :+1:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk,

I would say +1 for me too but because I previously started a thread on this previously, I can't say if my +1 will count this time or not! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

It’s great to see that you’re excited about this feature. :)

• cue003
    cue003
    Community Member
    Options

I so desperately want/need this feature and I think if marketed correctly could be additional profit. There are many business travelers who would jump at the ability to capture via pics every item that they have in their wallet for the off chance they lose their wallet it becomes easy to figure it what was in there and who needs phone calls.

Many women would also jump at this feature to capture pics because it is easy for them to capture what is in their purses in case it ever got stolen etc.

The picture option should be a no brainier and moved up the priority list for the iOS app.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cue003,

Thanks so much for the feedback! I’ll let our team know that you’re interested in this. :)

This discussion has been closed.