Feature Request: Adding a photo or other attachment on iOS

Options

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If it weren't for daydreaming about a better way of doing things, @abuser1x, 1Password wouldn't exist. We welcome the participation of all dreamers and we ask that you kindly let them continue dreaming their wonderful dreams.

Thank you for your passion. We can appreciate that you are frustrated that this feature doesn't exist. I know what that's like. I have software I love to bits, except it's missing this one thing I want. I don't want to look elsewhere, I don't want to write my own, I just want that software to be the perfect thing that I need. It's super frustrating that the developers don't exactly share my vision and think it's as important as I do.

But I'll be honest here: that's their prerogative. Only they know what it would take to implement the thing I want and only they know exactly what else is on their plate.

We know that people only express frustration when they care. Most people don't even bother, they just go elsewhere. For this reason, we never want you to feel unheard or unloved, and we haven't edited or deleted your persistently negative commentary. But this is a community, and the customers who participate here are part of our family. Just as a family member is asked not to disrupt a family gathering, we have asked you in the past and are asking you again to please treat your fellow 1Password users with respect.

Thanks very much for helping us keep our house clean and our family peaceful.

• Testwick
    Testwick
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

1Password was initially created supporting only standalone vaults. So most people who bought the expensive product for all of their devices will be using stand alone vaults. I do not understand why families and team vaults have a feature that we have been requesting for eons. I hate having to make a task entry to remind myself to add attachments and icon photos after creating a vault entry on my phone. Its extremely inefficient and I hate not being able to get everything done one time.

When I start to walk with iMac in my backpack and I am asked why I will simply respond " I use 1Password".

I fail to understand why other products can do this and why yours can't. There is no excuse.

I once loved the product but not anymore as development teams on other software seem to actually cater to their clients needs. I find the lack of this corner stone feature properly stupid. I've been using this almost two years.

My only conclusion is that your development team does not have their priorities straight and the lackadaisical manner in which our requests are handled make me feel very disenchanted with you guys.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

I have to admit that I'm quite disappointed as well. This feature was requested for many years. Before iOS 8 I understood that such a feature would be very hard to implement. But iOS 8 added Document Provider Extension that allowed apps to become document storage targets. Many apps like DropBox oder Synology's DS File added extensions to support this feature. To my surprise Agile did nothing in this direction. So I still have to use the same ugly workaround like Testwick said - add a reminder to add an attachment at home. A work-flow that is error prone.

Since you've started to add a subscription model I feel more and more like a second class citizen. In the past the users were told to be patient because development resources are limited. That's still true and of course correct. But now it seems to be even more true because resources seem to be mostly spent on your subscription service and no longer on the apps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@viswiz: While the release notes of all the updates we've released during and after the development of the new subscription service tell a different story, I can definitely appreciate how that's easy to overlook when the feature you care about most has not been added.

@Testwick: No excuses. The reason 1Password Accounts got this first because Documents made it "easy", and because these are processed and stored on the server side. That is, we were able to build the new 1Password.com service (and its data structures) from the ground up with the flexibility to do things like this (and much more). With local vaults, there are two main formats and a lot of subformats and legacy baggage; so, as you can imagine, it's probably just a matter of time before we're able to do the same for local vaults, but as you can probably guess, this will necessitate a lot of testing before it could be released publicly.

I know it's inconvenient and frustrating to not have all the features you want when you want them (the image of carrying a Mac around everywhere is a great illustration, and reminds me of my pre-iPhone college days...yikes), but we're not willing to release something like this which is complex and important to a lot of people without doing what it takes do it right. In the mean time, 1Password for iOS will continue to offer you the same Pro Features you originally paid for (and probably more besides), so you're not out anything; and we'll continue to improve it even further.

• mnkyby66
    mnkyby66
    Community Member
    Options

I vote for this too. 1Password is great in every way but would be great to be able to take a photo of an important document and add it to the record. For example, the registration for my car - to augment the fields I enter, I'd like to be able to add a photo of my registration, license, credit card, etc. etc. Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I agree: that would be very convenient. I hope we'll be able to add this feature soon. :)

• roynasser
    roynasser
    Community Member
    Options

I guess all I can say is +1 for a feature which has been on the "request list" for years....

I'm torn between using a credit card manager app (any suggestions? havent found anything great for now)... Using Evernote, using just a folder with all my card photos, etc...

Anyways, as of late I've been less and less impressed with 1P... It used to be great when only on the Mac... Then as I started using it on the iphone certain quirks appeared... iOS plugins are great, but work like 25% of the time... another 65% of the time I'm copyng and pasting by multitasking (which is quirky), and about 10% its terrible... I need to multitask to and from apps to remember and type passwords one by one, which makes me want to use less secure passwords, which then defeats 1password..... (All this could of course be eliminated if, like on android, they had a 1Password keyboard... but they have made a firm decision against this as "ios already supports password managers"...who cares if teh experience is crappy, eh? I say screw the users LOL...

Windows 10 support is so far laughable... The browser extension works on 1p 4.... the "app" is 1P 6 (which really is useless since I dont see an advantage to that over the old decrepyt 1P4 on windows....) Then I pay for vaults, but they crash constantly on windows, and dont work on the windows browser extensions... oh god, I hope they can get on the bandwagon to a more unified experience soon...

If anyone can suggest better "universal" alternatives I'm so far open... Esp for keeping Credit cards on hand... :)

PS: take all my comments with some sarcasm... but yeah, its getting harder to work with 1P as I use multiple platforms more and more...

• roynasser
    roynasser
    Community Member
    Options

PS: I was just editing to include some other info, but my edits got erased... Time to look into more modern forum software LOL... jk...please dont focus on anything else...haahah

• Ben
    Options

Hi @roynasser,

I'm sorry to hear your 1Password experience has been ... less than stellar, lately.

I've noted your vote for this. We do currently have support for adding photos as Documents to 1Password.com accounts. Hopefully that is something we can expand in the future. I realize this has been a very long standing request but if we're going to do it we want to be sure to do it right. Attachments have bitten us in the past and so we want whatever solution we come up with to be very stable.

All this could of course be eliminated if, like on android, they had a 1Password keyboard... but they have made a firm decision against this as "ios already supports password managers"

This is not the reason. The reason we won't/can't build a keyboard for iOS is because iOS doesn't allow custom keyboards in password fields. So if we were to build a keyboard it wouldn't be able to fill passwords. That's right: a keyboard from a password manager that can't fill passwords. That'd be something to write home about. ;)

If you're having difficulties with the extension we'd be happy to help with that, but please start a new thread so we can keep this one on topic.

Likewise I'm sure our Windows team would like to hear your feedback about your experience with the Windows application: https://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/1password-4-win

My apologies too about the difficulty with the forum software. We don't actually make that -- it is provided by Vanilla Forums: https://vanillaforums.org

Ben

P.S. Probably not the appropriate place to request suggestions for alternative products. :)

• roynasser
    roynasser
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response ben... Apologies for clumping a bunch of issues... One user = 1 perspective....

I understand the iOS eyboard limitation as I'm a heading a team of about 50 developers so there quirks are a dmime a dozen lol..., but MANY MANY apps dont respect the password field, and do give me custom keyboard access - despite not giving me paste (go figure)...

I have absolutely no idea whats going on with the windows versions... V4 "kinda works" (no teams, clunky interface, laggy, freezes abt 2-4x day etc), version 5 doesnt exist? V6 is a alpha product at bast, with some team supprot (desspite crashing all the time), and no browser extensions... so its pretty much a broken experience...

Anyways, all of this has been beaten with like a dead horse so I cant be bothered to file 3 or 4 threads just to see them go years with "good voting"...

Anyways, if others can give me alternative recommendations, I've been a loyal customer for several years (have come from last pass and tried dashlane previously, but maybe there is another holy grail? :p (best to maybe send to suggestions.a [at] roynasser [dot] com) so its not unfairly polluting the products website.

As for a much better and more modern forum software, I'd suggest looking into discourse.org or some other more modern system... It does make a huge difference, esp for heavy users ;) Just a headsup...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

I guess all I can say is +1 for a feature which has been on the "request list" for years....
    I'm torn between using a credit card manager app (any suggestions? havent found anything great for now)... Using Evernote, using just a folder with all my card photos, etc...

@roynasser: I actually use 1Password for this...but yeah, that means I have to add them on a "computer" of some kind. It's nice to have access to them, but making it possible to save attachments on mobile devices would be much more convenient.

Anyways, as of late I've been less and less impressed with 1P... It used to be great when only on the Mac... Then as I started using it on the iphone certain quirks appeared... iOS plugins are great, but work like 25% of the time... another 65% of the time I'm copyng and pasting by multitasking (which is quirky), and about 10% its terrible... I need to multitask to and from apps to remember and type passwords one by one, which makes me want to use less secure passwords, which then defeats 1password..... (All this could of course be eliminated if, like on android, they had a 1Password keyboard... but they have made a firm decision against this as "ios already supports password managers"...who cares if teh experience is crappy, eh? I say screw the users LOL...

We definitely don't want a "screw the users" approach, but I appreciate the humour!

Windows 10 support is so far laughable... The browser extension works on 1p 4.... the "app" is 1P 6 (which really is useless since I dont see an advantage to that over the old decrepyt 1P4 on windows....) Then I pay for vaults, but they crash constantly on windows, and dont work on the windows browser extensions... oh god, I hope they can get on the bandwagon to a more unified experience soon...

We're working on it. Even though we're not there yet, you can see that's cross-platform consistency is where we're heading. We don't want everything to look the same, but having the apps on each platform be familiar to any 1Password user is important.

If anyone can suggest better "universal" alternatives I'm so far open... Esp for keeping Credit cards on hand... :)

I've tried a number over the years, often at the urging of friends who were super excited by these. But I won't name any names here because they were all pretty terrible. I'd be interested to hear anyone else's recommendations though, because there may be something we can learn from them and apply to 1Password. I think the Lounge category would be a better place for that discussion though.

PS: take all my comments with some sarcasm... but yeah, its getting harder to work with 1P as I use multiple platforms more and more...

I think we've made a lot of progress in 2016 (and it ain't over yet), but I totally see where you're coming from, especially as a Windows user. 1Password for Mac, iOS, and Android all continue to move forward. But the new 1Password Windows desktop app isn't yet at parity with the previous version. We're making great progress, but it may not feel that way until it pulls ahead.

PS: I was just editing to include some other info, but my edits got erased... Time to look into more modern forum software LOL... jk...please dont focus on anything else...haahah

Doh! I'm sorry about that. But yeah...we have a lot on our plate with 1Password right now, so we'll continue to focus on that — and also continue to report issues to the forum software vendor. :blush:

• sejmann
    sejmann
    Community Member
    Options

I definitely agree with the others. Please allow me to snap a photo from within the app to store it directly. Having to send it to myself on the desktop in order to store it is very cumbersome, and I really can't fathom how this hasn't become a feature, yet.

I tend to search for and find this thread every year or so, and am saddened each time. Please make my next visit a happy one. Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

The long and short of it is that it is a more complicated problem than it might appear to be, and the reason we were able to include (some of) this functionality with 1Password.com accounts is because we had Documents in mind when designing it, whereas attachments have always been somewhat bolted on for standalone vaults.

At present we do not have any definite plans to change how attachments work for standalone vaults, but we are looking to bring more functionality to Documents with 1Password.com accounts. If you're interested in better support for this sort of thing I'd suggest taking a look at that route. Adding photos from your camera roll as Documents is currently a feature in 1Password.com accounts, and as I mentioned we're hoping to expand it even more.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know. I don't think this is something we'd use often, but it sure would make adding new cards much easier when we did. Hopefully we'll be able to do this in a future version. :)

• ThomasU
    ThomasU
    Community Member
    Options

Still no chance to add attachments (photos, PDFs, ...) to a record. Poor. Competitors like Enpass and OneSafe have it. If the next step is to move over to a subscription based usage then I will definitely leave.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @Thomas_U

I've merged your thread with another on the front page that is on the same subject. Thanks for the feedback. We're not going to be adding further attachment support to 1Password for iOS for standalone vaults, but if that is an important function for you it is possible to add items from your Camera Roll as Documents to 1Password.com vaults.

1Password.com memberships are definitely how we recommend using 1Password.

Thanks.

Ben

• Aguirre
    Aguirre
    Community Member
    Options

I am a very long-time user of 1password across many devices. I have been a raving fan for years, recommending you constantly, going so far as educating people who didn't even realize they needed or wanted 1password to go and buy the damn thing.

To make this unreasonably long and sadly predatory story short: The end result of this long-desired feature for iOS is: "Buy into the subscription model."

Absolutely no. I will not cross this particular line with you guys. Creating a super-successful product loved by so many wasn't quite enough, I see. You have to squeeze us now with this patently usurious subscription BS. No doubt while lauding to us, yourselves and each other that "...it's better and actually cheaper for our customers! Yay for everyone!"

So really, you guys are nothing special at all. Seriously, you guys have betrayed us. Adios.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Aguirre: I understand that you must do what you feel is right for you. But what I don't understand is how charging sustainable prices for products and services is "usurious". We appreciate it if you've supported us by paying us for our work in the past, but that doesn't entitle you to everything else we do afterward. I doubt you're willing or able to work for free yourself. We've been doing this for a decade, and we'd like to continue to develop, test, and support 1Password for those who find it valuable for the next. You yourself seem to expect new features, and the only way that happens in perpetuity is if we get paid to do that. Paying a small one-time fee for a mobile app gets you what you paid for, and many improvements and features since, but that isn't sustainable forever. Eventually if you want more, as it seems clear that you do, someone has to make it, and they need to earn a living too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tangible: You make some really good points. I agree that there's probably more competition in this space than there is for Photoshop (though many people are more than satisfied with apps like Acorn and Pixelmator, at least on Apple devices), but competition is good. The flipside of there being alternatives to 1Password is that in order to stand out, we really need to improve it continuously, not just with a big splash major release every year or so.

1Password is much more than just a login filling machine, but most of what people depend on it for involves the technological landscape of the internet, which is constantly evolving, and security isn't an area where any company can afford to stagnate. So there's a need and an expectation for 1Password to constantly evolve too, and we're better able to give people what they want with a subscription.

Most people don't think of it this way though, as they just expect it to work across all of their devices, and not have to worry about per-platform licenses, sync configuration, and backing up their data. The only way to solve all of these problems is with an integrated, hosted service, and the only way to sustain that is with subscriptions. 1Password subscriptions began with 1Password Teams. If you had any idea how often we were asked for this service by various companies you'd understand why we built it. When we introduced it in beta in 2015, many people used it for their families and asked for family pricing, so the obvious next step was 1Password Families. I'm sure you can imagine what the next big request was at that point, by individuals who weren't living with a family, so we are now giving all three groups of people exactly what they requested. If people weren't requesting these things, we very well might have never spent the two years (and money) it took to create the new 1Password account platform, but we were asked for them many times over the years leading up to 1Password Teams, so we did.

Certainly none of this may matter to you if you have a setup that works for you and no need or desire for the benefits of a 1Password.com membership, but if you'd struggled with 3rd party sync issues or lost 1Password data because you didn't backup before upgrading to a new device, or have loved ones who did, you'll at least understand why. And if not, then I hope you won't begrudge those that can now keep their data more secure as a result, without having to deal with these headaches.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tangible: Likewise, I appreciate your feedback here! You're totally right that iCloud is a much smoother experience for most users with Apple devices since it's integrated. I'm a long time Dropbox user myself because it's more powerful in some ways, but it's definitely a bit more complex as well. But the thing both of these have in common is that when they're not working properly, there isn't much we can do to help our own customers, and that really sucks. If 1Password.com breaks, we can fix it.

You also made a good point about conflating subscriptions and hosting. They're not the same. But since hosting has real recurring costs involved, subscriptions are just a natural fit there. We're not selling out, selling our users, or displaying ads after all, so "free" hosting isn't an option for us, only direct support, and subscriptions fit the bill — literally. In the end, it's up to us to continue to provide enough value to get people to subscribe in the first place and not want to leave. But we'll also continue to improve our import and export options as well so people can take their data to and from 1Password as they see fit. I think that's fair, especially in light of your other subscription examples. Cheers! :)

• baluba
    baluba
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I understand your point of view @brenty but that's not the point. In this discussion there are people who have paid for the standalone service and this feature has been requested for years. As they have paid for the app, I think that they deserve a better treatment. As you created a service because many companies had requested it, you (agilebits) should have done the same thing with your customers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baluba: Even if we were able to go back and add this for local vaults (of which there are multiple iterations), there's a good chance you'd have had to pay for it. Paying one time for a mobile app and expecting that it get any and all new features you decide you want in the future for free unfortunately isn't reasonable or sustainable.

@Tangible: That's a fair point. It just isn't as simple as allowing those who purchased the standalone app to use it. 1Password.com is completely different than the legacy vault formats, so it was "easy" to add some basic support for uploading photos. It's something we were able to plan for from the beginning, but what you're using depends on code and data structures that are years (and in some cases nearly a decade) old. If it was just a matter of flipping a switch and enabling it for you, we would. It's just a lot more complex than that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tangible: Ah, I'm sorry if I missed your question. I didn't see where you asked. The answer is straightforward: We don't know. We've got our hands full right now with additions to the existing apps, so we're not making decisions about future versions right now.

This discussion has been closed.