Watchtower Alerts Displayed When Watchtower is Disabled

mikeyh
mikeyh
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

Hi, is anyone else seeing watchtower alerts displayed even though watchtower is disabled in settings on 5.3 beta 4?

Comments

• Hi @mikeyh,

I'm not able to reproduce this. If you restart 1Password completely, does it still show the alerts? To restart 1Password completely, press and hold the Control key when you go to the 1Password Menu to select Quit 1Password and 1Password mini.

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

I'm seeing this in the released version of 5.3.

I have no desire to use Watchtower and it's always been off. Since 5.3 I see Watchtower entries and alerts even though the settings box in NOT checked.

-Kevin

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@netnothing: Ah, I am seeing this too! I went to turn it off to test this, thinking I had Watchtower enabled myself (I remembered seeing one of these banners on an item last night) and -- lo and behold -- I had Watchtower disabled already!

I enabled it and then disabled it again, and the banner disappeared. Please try this to see if A that works for you and B if you continue to get Watchtower banners on items after doing so. I am reporting this to the development team so we can investigate this further.

I hope you don't mind, but I am moving this thread to the non-beta Mac section since this is a stable channel issue. Thanks for bringing it to our attention! :)

ref: OPM-2996

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

Yes turning it on and off makes the banners and watchtower entries go away. I did this already once since upgrading to 5.3, but something toggled watchtower back on again (even though prefs still were not checked).

-Kevin

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@netnothing: I haven't seen that yet myself, but thank you for confirming that it's continuing to happen. We will keep an eye out for this and figure out what's going on here!

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

Appreciate it!

-Kevin

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

@brenty Watchtower entries are showing again, on their own, with the prefs still unchecked.

Not sure what is causing this, as it seems something keeps turning on Watchtower behind the scenes.

-Kevin

• mikeyh
    mikeyh
    Community Member

Still happens for me in 5.4b4 and I just ignore them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the trouble, guys! The development team is aware of the issue and working on getting this fixed for us. :+1:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @netnothing,

Can I ask, do you reboot your Mac or MacBook at all or do you tend to use sleep? One of the things the devs would like to ensure isn't a factor is something called cfprefsd the defaults server. The easiest way to remove it as a possibility is a reboot. This can have a big impact and it's one of the reasons why are starting over steps include a reboot as the caching can wreck havoc if we don't account for it.

Hopefully we can figure out what's going on :smile:

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

I never use sleep. Only occasionally reboot. No real schedule, sometimes I need to reboot after a few days, other times I don't few a few weeks.

I'm using a 2010 Mac Pro.

-Kevin

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member

Just an update.....Watchtower back on again. I did reboot my machine approximately 1 day ago. Current uptime is: 15:44 up 1 day, 1:11, 2 users, load averages: 2.12 1.99 1.97

And again, still uncheck in preferences.

-Kevin

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@netnothing: Thanks for the update! I've restarted a few times this week myself, but haven't had a recurrence. I'm on a MacBook Pro here, so of course it sleeps all the time when not in use.

• roboftn
    roboftn
    Community Member

I just started getting watchtower notices as well and watchtower is not checked in my preferences. Also it's hard to tell if I should legitimately change the password when so many of the sites I go to pop a notice. The one I went to this morning said "Vulnerability Alert" but when I click through to see what that means it says: "Status Unknown - The vulnerability status could not be determined."... "No recommended action at this time as we currently have no vulnerability information for www.domain.com. You can continue to check back here for updates in the future." 1Password Version 5.3 (530032) on OSX 10.10.3

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@roboftn: We take a 'better safe than sorry' approach when it comes to servers where it cannot be determined one way or another. The last thing we want to do is say it's safe when we don't really know for certain, thus the warning just in case.

But I'm sorry that you're being bothered with these warnings in the first place, even having Watchtower disabled! We will get this fixed for you. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Just wanted to update everyone:

We've tracked down the problem and have a fix ready for the next beta (5.4.BETA-9). 1Password mini actually handles this in the background, rather than the main 1Password app, and it was reattaching the Watchtower database when it shouldn't.

Be sure to let us know if the problem persists once that's released, but this should be the end of it. Thanks again for helping us see this through! :)

• billfrech
    billfrech
    Community Member

This bug has persisted for months. Any ideas when the update with the fix is going to be released? This issue is very annoying for those of us who do not use Watchtower. Also, will it be released for the App Store version simultaneously? I'd rather not switch back and forth. Thank you!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @billfrech ,

Thanks for checking in on us! I've taken a look at the issue in our internal tracker, and it appears that our developers may have found a fix for this. We hope to have it available in an update soon, although I can't provide any further details than that.

Also, will it be released for the App Store version simultaneously?

We will release the update to the Mac App Store and the AgileBits Store version of 1Password at the same time, so there's no reason to switch back and forth.

Thanks for your patience. :)

This discussion has been closed.