Master password not accepted on iPhone 5

Options
rreffner0144
rreffner0144
Community Member

Master password works on my desktop, notebook and iPad but fails to work on my iPhone 5. What can I do?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rreffner0144,

Have you changed your master password recently? If so, try unlocking 1Password on your iPhone with the old master password. Does that work? If it does, allow it to sync, then lock 1Password and enter the new master password again to see if it works this time.

If the master password hasn't changed, can you confirm that it used to work on your iPhone? If it used to work but is no longer being accepted in 1Password on your iPhone, the first thing I'd like to suggest is simply rebooting the iPhone (hold down the power button for a few seconds, then swipe to power off). Once you power it back on, try again to see if your master password works.

If that doesn't help, can you please let us know the following:

• What version of 1Password are you using on your iPhone?
    • How are you syncing your data (Dropbox, iCloud, Wi-Fi Sync)?
    • Do you have all your latest 1Password data on your Mac and/or iPad?

Thanks!

• red sky
    red sky
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this same problem with my iPhone6. The password works fine on my Mac desktop computer but not on the phone. Restarting the phone did not help. I am using iCloud to sync 1Password. I tried turning off iCloud syncing then turning it back on. Didn't help. I used the desktop computer to enter the data. Pls help!

• red sky
    red sky
    Community Member
    Options

I just reread your response the previous poster. Problem solved! I entered the old password, closed 1Password, then used Fingerprint ID to unlock 1Password on my iPhone. Thanks!

• jecsantiago
    jecsantiago
    Community Member
    Options

I have exactly the same problem, but with an iPhone 6. My password used to work, but now it doesn't.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the assist, @brenty! :)

@jecsantiago, did brenty's suggestions help? If not, you mentioned you're having "exactly the same problem". Does that mean you also use 1Password on a Mac, and your master password works to unlock 1Password on your Mac, but not on your iPhone? It will also help if you can let us know some more details:

• Aside from your iPhone, what other devices/computers are you syncing with 1Password (if any)?
    • What version of 1Password are you using on each device/computer?
    • How are you syncing your data (Dropbox, iCloud, Wi-Fi Sync)?
    • Have you recently changed your master password on any device/computer?
    • If so, have you tried entering both the old and new master passwords on your iPhone 6?
    • What device/computer has your most up-to-date 1Password information?

Thanks!

• jecsantiago
    jecsantiago
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, brenty and Drew_AG.

Please see my responses below:

Aside from your iPhone, what other devices/computers are you syncing with 1Password (if any)?
    A MacBook Pro, an iPad, and a Mac mini.

What version of 1Password are you using on each device/computer?
    I have the latest version on the MacBook Pro (I was asked to delete and reinstall it just now. Something about my original installation being damaged.), but I don't know what versions are on the iPhone and the iPad. How do I find out?

How are you syncing your data (Dropbox, iCloud, Wi-Fi Sync)?
    Dropbox

Have you recently changed your master password on any device/computer?
    I changed it on the iPhone, and it synced one with the other devices.

If so, have you tried entering both the old and new master passwords on your iPhone 6?
    Yes. Both don't work.

What device/computer has your most up-to-date 1Password information?
    Unfortunately, the iPhone 6.

• Hi @jecsantiago ,

Did your password have accented characters in it? We generally don't advise using them as they are encoded differently on different platforms, but if you did, make sure you type them in and not the unaccented counterpart.

We don't know of any issues where the correct master password will not unlock. I can only ask that you try again, and make sure you are actually typing the correct one, especially if you have accented characters in the password.

• jecsantiago
    jecsantiago
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @hayesk.

I don't have any accented characters in my password, and I'm sure I'm typing it correctly. I just find it odd that my master password works on my MacBook, iPad, and Mac mini, but not on my iPhone.

Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jecsantiago,

I'm sorry we haven't replied before now, I don't know how we let the iOS forum get so behind.

I've just walked into this and having read a couple of the posts I do have some questions.

• You sync all your devices by Dropbox.
    • You changed the Master Password on the iPhone.
    • This change was propagated to the other devices, confirming they're in sync.

Now to the questions.

1. If you access your 1Password.agilekeychain via 1PasswordAnywhere does it unlock using the password that works on everything but the iPhone?
    2. If it doesn't, does it unlock with the old Master Password?
    3. Still with 1PasswordAnywhere , does the hint match either the old or new hint?
    4. If the devices are in sync, how do you have information in the vault on the iPhone 6 that isn't on the other devices, are you positive there is information that only resides in 1Password for iOS on the iPhone?

One thought is to change the Master Password on a working device to see if you can regain access that way. Before we consider that though can you confirm that all the other machines and devices seem to be synced and the vaults match. That way we can create a backup should anything go wrong.

• jecsantiago
    jecsantiago
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @littlebobbytables.

My responses to your questions:

1. My 1PasswordAnywhere is unlocked using the password that works on everything but the iPhone.
    2. N.A.
    3. The hint has remained unchanged.
    4. I am sure that there's information that only resides on the iPhone, because I put in the new information there, and that didn't show up in any of the other devices.

I'm not sure whether this would help, but I changed the master password when I was using an iPhone 5s. I recently switched to an iPhone 6, where I put in the new information. The new master password worked on the iPhone 6, which allowed me to input new information. However, a few days after, I couldn't gain access on the iPhone 6 with neither the old nor the new master password.

Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jecsantiago,

Thank you for the additional information. To proceed, first, if you can get access please make a backup of your 1Password data on your iPhone:

Once you've done that you'll need to get the information that has not synced from your phone to your MacBook. You can either do that manually, or you can try a WiFi sync:

[if things get wonky this is why we made a backup]

Once you have all of your data on your Mac (which should then sync to your other devices), we can erase 1Password on the iPhone and reinstall it. This will also erase all of the 1Password data on the iPhone. Once reinstalled you can set Dropbox syncing back up on the phone and it should pull all of the latest information, including the update to the Master Password.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.