New 1Password keyboard

Options
RichardPayne
RichardPayne
Community Member

1) Needs touch feedback
2) Needs international variants
3) The 1Password button appears to be pwrmanently disabled.

Comments

• MrCippy
    MrCippy
    Community Member
    Options

id settle for a quick toggle to go back to my default keyboard.

• geovanisouza92
    geovanisouza92
    Community Member
    Options

5) show ballons or vibration feedback when press a key
    6) toggle letters/digits/symbols when hold over a key pressed

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

7) Needs multi lang support
    8) Needs dark material version

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Errm, 5 = 1 and 7 = 3.

• preshit
    preshit
    Community Member
    Options

We definitely need #1 soon. Without it, you can't be sure of what key you've just pressed.

• sglewis
    sglewis
    Community Member
    Options

The previous method, without a doubt, was 100% superior to me, even with it's many, hopefully fixable flaws. This new one requires me to drop whatever keyboard I'm using for yours, either permanently, or with multiple steps full of switching back and forth. Very disappointed.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

@sglewis

The previous method, without a doubt, was 100% superior to me, even with it's many, hopefully fixable flaws. This new one requires me to drop whatever keyboard I'm using for yours, either permanently, or with multiple steps full of switching back and forth. Very disappointed.

So don't use it. If the accessibility based filling was working well for you then continue using it. I don't understand why you'd be "very disappointed" that they've added additional features.

Same for you @fcar.

• ebj075
    ebj075
    Community Member
    Options

@fcar, I'm intrigued by the approach to use notifications. I think it could lead to a smoother interaction than the new keyboard.

I wonder if the first notification should be 1Password saying: "Log in detected. Tap to enter your master password". Once unlocked, the 1Password app would show the list of matching passwords. From here the user also has the option to search for a more appropriate log in, if 1Password doesn't find the correct one automatically.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Because it is not "additional features". It is either the keyboad or the other one, not both. Do you think they have time/money to support both? You're dreaming.

Pure assumption on your part.

The keyboard is NOT the best solution.

I agree, but it's the only solution for those of us not on Lollipop.

Isn't aggressiveness nice, RichardPayne? A bit of your own poison for you. Manners cost nothing.

Care to point out where I was aggressive or ill mannered? Or is just speaking plainly now rude @fcar?

• Thank you everyone for sharing your feedback about our new approach to login filling. I have passed on your comments and suggestions to our development team. As you already know, we always love hearing from our users and your feedback does play a major role in the development process!

With all of the changes made to filling in our latest beta, we posted a sticky with answers to some of the questions that you might have. It also provides some insight to the reasoning behind this approach and what advantages this brings for our users. Please have a read through it and let us know if you have any questions!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@saad any ideas on problem number 3 on my OP? The 1Password icon on the custom keyboard does absolutely nothing; not even crash.

• lightfuze
    lightfuze
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for bringing the filling option to pre-lollipop devices! Although, I'm not so excited about having to change keyboards to do it... I've been using Swiftkey for so long that anything else seems like a step back in functionality/features. I really like the suggestion by @fcar of putting the available logins in the notification shade. If something like that is possible, it gets my vote!

• @RichardPayne The 1Password button to the left of the keyboard has two different states. When the button is grey, that means that no login fields have been detected. This is either because the accessibility service isn't running or because the accessibility service was unable to find any login fields. In this case, a long-press is required to display the 1Password filling interface. This is intended to help minimize the impact of accidental touches on the 1Password button when typing on the keyboard.

The other state is when the 1Password button is blue. This state requires that the accessibility service is running and that the accessibility service was able to identify login fields on the current screen. In this case, a single-tap on the 1Password button will launch the filling interface.

You can read about this in more detail on the filling page in our guide that Nik linked to in the most recent beta newsletter. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Cheers,
    Michael

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Gotcha. Now it just crashes. :)
    I'll wait for the fix.

• mtakacs
    mtakacs
    Community Member
    Options

Rather than starting a new post, Ill chip in here as well:

I feel that the new keyboard needs:

Keyboard cycling:
    Id like the ability to switch back to the other keyboards installed. Before installing 1Password keyboard, I had two keyboards enabled, "google (us)" and "google (spanish)". I could tap the little globe icon and it'd swap over to the other keyboard. I thought once I added the 1Password keyboard, I'd be able to cycle thru all three by hitting the "globe" icon. Nope. It's like the global icon completely ignores the 1Password keyboard. and once I select the 1Password keyboard thru the (awkward) android settings menu, it's stuck there.. I can't get back to my normal english/spanish keyboard.

Swype
    I forget how I enabled the swype-typing, but i CANT use a keyboard anymore without swype typing. Imagine my horror when I tried to use SWYPE typing on the 1Password keyboard and it didn't work! egad.

-Mark

• sglewis
    sglewis
    Community Member
    Options

Richard - the note mentions two things:

1) Why did we change filling?
    2) How does filling work now?

Seems pretty clear that the feature is getting removed, or at a minimum not going to be actively developed. So yeah, I'm disappointed. Frankly, I wish Google provided a better mechanism here. The way password manager's integrated to Safari on iOS devices is wonderful.

I've used a LOT of password managers, KeePass, LastPass, DashLane, PasswordBox, 1Password, mSecure and a bunch of others. 1Password through the beta stood out in the sea of password changers on Android, due to this feature. Just like before Safari extensions in iOS, PasswordBox stood out for their unique form-filling by way of VPN trick they used. Now I'll reevaluate lots of the things I own, and see "which Android keyboard is best".

• ILikeVoltron
    ILikeVoltron
    Community Member
    Options

I really really don't like using a seperate keyboard just to fill in my passwords. It feels like a poor decision on agilebits part. If users are stuck on 4.4 allow them to use the keyboard, but don't force lollipop users to suffer that as well. b6 was the last release that allowed this? I didn't find it very stable or usable...

• Thanks for the feedback! Indeed we are no longer developing the previous implementation of in-app filling. @mverde explains why we went with the current approach in great detail here.

Essentially, the previous implementation was not only not available to a large percentage of our users, but had some unfixable problems as well (e.g. WebViews, third-party browsers, etc.). Other password managers automate use of the clipboard to counteract those issues, but as we've publicly noted, we do not see clipboard automation as a secure and sufficient solution.

With that said, we really appreciate your feedback with regards to the new custom keyboard. Since this is a brand new implementation for us, we've got a few kinks to work out. I will definitely pass your feedback along to our developers for their consideration.

Please let us know if you have any other feedback or suggestions! Thanks! :)

• Fidler
    Fidler
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear that...the previous inapp filling was one of the reasons why I bought the app...it was super convenient...the new method is awful...switching between the keyboards takes time...and after that there is the processes of filling out your master password and then at last you can use the 1password...
    that is if it works cause I use my stock keyboard(HTC m8) and switching to the 1password's one takes time and effort to trigger and activate...the blue circle left of the space button is not blues so I need to tap on the feelds (username to password or vice versa) to get it to work...

I still think there is a better way than this keyboard...and I hope you can come up with it.

Untill then I'm sticking to the official version. I'd rather copy paste then go through all this trouble just to make it work...

• I apologize for the inconvenience. :(

With regards to entering your Master Password, I recommend enabling PIN unlock. Usually, I launch 1Password and enter my Master Password (you can do this with your preferred keyboard), then move on to other apps or a browser and switch to the 1Password keyboard. When you go to use auto-fill, you'll only be prompted for a PIN rather than the entire Master Password.

Also, I'm curious as to the keyboard switching process on HTC. On my Samsung Galaxy switching keyboards requires only a swipe and click. I have tested on various other Android devices and all of them have a simple process for switching keyboards, which, in my opinion, is less time consuming than copying/pasting data. I don't have an HTC device, however, so I haven't yet tried it there. I'll have to download that onto my emulator and check it out. :)

That said, I'm sorry that you're not happy with in-app filling. We appreciate your input! I'll pass your feedback along.

• Snpbond
    Snpbond
    Community Member
    Options

@peri From the brief time I tested this new beta (I had issues with it looping the unlock screen) the keyboard seemed to function however I still prefer swiftkey. Are you suggesting switching to the keyboard for forms and then back (on my S5 with Cyanogen I pull down the menu and tap keyboard to change)?

When I first heard about the keyboard in the beta I thought it might be a process where 1Password would 'change keyboards' automatically to fill the form in and then change back to your currently selected keyboard (so it would appear transparent)...however I'm not sure if that capability is even built into android.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

however I'm not sure if that capability is even built into android.

I would hope not. That has the potential for all kinds of malware to wreak havoc.

• @Snpbond Thanks for trying out the beta! You only need to switch over to the 1Password keyboard when performing login filling. It's also not possible for 1Password to switch the keyboard for you. This is a restriction enforced by the Android operating system.

• bencordy
    bencordy
    Community Member
    Options

Having used it for a little while I've come to the simple conclusion I can't survive without SwiftKey. What would be amazing would be for Agilebits to form some kind of partnership with SwiftKey similar to the partnerships they have with device manufacturers to provide the functionality of swiftly in the 1password keyboard or the other way round! That would be absolutely awesome!

• saad
    Options

Thanks for your feedback @bencordy. You can continue to use SwiftKey as your primary keyboard but when you need to perform login filling, just switch over to the 1Password keyboard. Once you're done with signing in, you can switch back to your default, SwiftKey, keyboard. Hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• zupergeorge
    zupergeorge
    Community Member
    Options

The thing is, it would be easier to switch back to our prefered default keyboard (swiftkey or other) if there was a keyboard switch key in the 1password keyboard. I don't know if it technicaly possible, but it would be really nice.

This discussion has been closed.