Multiple vaults

three-cushion
three-cushion
Community Member

I'm missing something....you tout multiple vaults and I have a hard time understanding what I get out of it. I am the Sole user of my iPad & my iMac. No one else uses either. Tell me why I need more than the primary vault. I guess I just don't see the advantage. What is a Archive vault? Why have one ..& what is stored in it?

When I get my iPhone (later this year) what does multiple vault buy me? I'll be the Only user there as well.

See another post for my question on 2step verification.. Jim b
BTW...I Mac = OS 8.5; iOS = ver 7.1.2
O

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Clearly whether or not you use multiple vaults is up to you. They're often used when people want to share a sub-set of their 1P data with a spouse, for example (but don't want to share the complete data set). That's probably the most common use.

Other people use an archive vault to keep old, superseded logins (for example) which they don't actually wish to delete but which are no longer used.

Use of multiple vaults is limited only by your own imagination. However, don't worry if you can't find a use for them. :)

Stephen

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member

Thanks Stephen...yeah. An archive of no longer used Logins makes sense... Jim b

• FYI, I use multiple vaults to separate work and personal items. When I'm at work, I switch to my work vault so I don't accidentally log into sites with my personal credentials. (e.g. my gmail work address or personal gmail address)

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member

Another good usage ...thanks. Jim b

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

It really comes down to personal preference though @three-cushion and what works best for you. Some people like hayesk and myself like the idea of that logical divide between work and personal. For some people sharing a certain selection of items with others is the only goal.

Secondary vaults are about what you want to make of them but trust me when I say there are plenty of people for whom the simplicity of a single primary vault outweighs any possible benefits a second vault may have.

To give you an idea I'm pretty sure when I first heard of secondary vaults I was salivating at the prospect. It might be this particular feature just isn't needed for your work style. If you do find a need I hope you find our secondary vaults useful :smile:

• 1passfan232
    1passfan232
    Community Member

Hi,

I am a huge1 password fan, and keep finding new uses for it. I finally figured out how to create multiple vaults and sync them across my desktop Mac, iPad and iPhone with dropbox.

I note that when I login on the desktop I have the option to log in directly to a secondary vault using the specific vault password, but when I login on the iPad or iPhone I seem to have to login to the primary vault with the master password and then select a secondary vault. Is that correct, am I missing something, or is there some way to access a secondary vault directly on the iPhone or iPad?

Thanks,

Matt

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @1passfan232 ,

Thanks so much for your kind words about 1Password - I'm so glad you're finding it useful!

I note that when I login on the desktop I have the option to log in directly to a secondary vault using the specific vault password, but when I login on the iPad or iPhone I seem to have to login to the primary vault with the master password and then select a secondary vault.

At this time, it is not possible to select which vault you unlock to on iOS. It's a popular feature request, and we are considering it, but it's not a simple thing to get done. I'll be happy to let our developers know that you'd like to see this feature implemented some day. :)

ref: OPI-930

• 1passfan232
    1passfan232
    Community Member

Got it, thanks Megan

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@1passfan232, on behalf of Megan, you're very welcome! If you need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.