Update has rendered 1Password unusable

One Password has completely stopped working as of today's update. I was using IE11. It will no longer auto fill and if I try to manually login and save the login, it cannot find logins to save. As a last ditch effort, I installed Safari, reload OnePassword yet again, added the extensions and am having the same issue. The only thing I can do is open the program, edit the login in order to see my login and password and manually enter it. This is the second time in 4 weeks that I've experienced complete failure with One Password. Took 2 hours the last time to get it working finally in Safari, and now this! Seems like I should go back to my pencil and paper log book. What's going on??? I don't have time to keep fooling with what used to be a good program

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@jkenik, I'm sorry you're having that problem!

I don't recall having heard of this problem from you before. Can you tell us what you did before to get it working again?

What version of 1Password for Windows are you running?

Also, is there still a checkmark next to Internet Explorer on the Browsers tab of 1Password preferences? Do you see the 1Password icon in the IE toolbar? Is the problem the same if you press Ctrl+\ in IE?

• jkenik
    jkenik
    Community Member

Earlier event was on a wipe and reload of a Windows 7 Alienware notebook computer. Never was able to get 1P working in IE11 so I switched to Safari and ended up working with that, however, not all of my login's will accept using safari as a secure browser. I also tried Avatar and that failed completely. I dumped 1P and downloaded fresh today on the new problem machine--a Windows 7 desktop-- 4 1 0 538--fresh load today. Yes, IE11 is ticked on Browsers tab. I also show a green checkmark to the right of Safari 5.1.7 showing Installed 4020590.
    1P shows in browser same as before.
    Occasionally--not consistently--the logins will briefly flash but then it just goes blank
    Ctrl\ in IE results in the Unlock Box popping up, my master code entered and then I get a message that it cannot fill any fields.
    1P on my IPad is still working, other than some sites rejecting my logins due to Safari browser.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Does this happen at all URLs where you try to fill a form with an existing Login item?

If not, can you tell us a couple of URLs where it does happen?

Thanks!

• jkenik
    jkenik
    Community Member

Seems random so I am unable to provide specific URL's for you to review.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I haven't heard of Avatar—have you tried Chrome or Firefox?

Knowing how it behaves in the other browsers might help direct us to a cause.

• jkenik
    jkenik
    Community Member

I spot checked 4 logins with Firefox just now. 2 of them work, 2 of them that worked up until last week do not work. I will not use Chrome--too many tracking problems in the past. I meant Aviator

• Sometimes websites change their login forms.
    For the two that didn't work during the spot check, could you please create new login items manually and check if they work in Firefox and Internet Explorer?

• jkenik
    jkenik
    Community Member

I am fairly sure that 65 companies did not simultaneously change their login forms coincidentally just after 1P updated.
    I have tried manually creating new logins using IE and Safari several times. 1P is not able to find the login to save--see first post above.

I was successful with creating 1 login with Firefox, however the website I'm logged on to will not work with that browser without additional software downloads and updates. When I go back and try to use that new login through IE, I'm denied through IE because its on some other domain.

I then went to the same site using IE, and created a manual login. When I reopened the site with the login, 1P reports that it is unable to find any fields to fill.

Unfortunately I did not record all of the sites I was testing yesterday. I can only recall 1 of the 2 that will not work with Firefox. I only have so much time to work with trying to get to a solution with this program--I'm already far past that point and most certainly feel that I'm being sent off looking for some solution that will only be a half answer.

I find that many of the secure sites are particular with which browser they will accept or I would have gone for the easier solution of simply switching browsers as I did on the other computer with which 1P stopped working. The program is becoming more costly for me to use each time I have to install and test a new browser, both in the point of having to spend the time, but I also having to pay for each download of new browsers. I certainly can't compile a list of which logins happen to work with which browser--that negates using 1P across multiple computers and platforms.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

@jkenik you could just download and install the previous version. It would be a useful test to see if it was the 1P update that caused your issues. If that proves to be the case then the bonus is that you have the previous, working, version installed which should solve your problem in the short term.

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4

• mgb
    mgb
    Community Member

Sorry, could you explain that?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mgb,

@RichardPayne was saying that @jkenik could download/install a previous version of the 1Password application and see if it fixes his issues. That's different than reinstalling older versions of the 1Password extensions, which you've asked about in:

Trouble with Chrome & Firefox extensions, how to revert to older versions?

We'll continue helping you with that issue there. :)

• jkenik
    jkenik
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

After 4 different browsers and multiple wipes and reloads of the 1P software, wasting many hours of time, my solution was to remove 1P and change to [removed]. They have tech support available by phone--I didn't need it--and their system works on 63 of my 65 logins. I loose the ease of a master login file of course, but at least I CAN actually login.
    I'm a firm believer in letting a company know why they loose a customer. I should have pulled the plug on this software weeks ago, but it used to be a great program.

• MikeT
    edited March 2015

Hi jkenik,

Thanks for letting us know, I'm sorry to hear you've decided to leave us.

It is unusual that a single update would render all of your Login broken, otherwise we'd be hearing from every single users about this. We will keep investigating to see what happened there but so far, we have not seen any widespread issues with the filling in IE in any updates, even our own testing has not shown the problem. It sounds like there may have been a wider issue where an external factor may have added to this. We've seen a case where a single update to an anti-malware solution would break the filling in all browsers and that could've been the case here. Unfortunately, without your help, we can't verify that.

PS: We don't allow mentions of competitors on our forums, so I've edited the name from your post while leaving the rest alone.

This discussion has been closed.