1Password 5 Botched Migration & Subsequent Repair Attempts

Options
Norman K. Hester
Norman K. Hester
Community Member

Migration of info from 1Password 4 (iMac OS X 10.6) to 1Password 5 (iMac Retina OS X 10.10) resulted in no existing logins/passwords being transferred.

Could not discover a solution, so I continued by manual entering the passwords I wished to save.

All of the migrated files from 1Password 4 were collected in a new folder: 1Password old

This folder was left in Applications along with the new 1Password 5.app

1Password 5 appeared to work well with this arrangement — until yesterday when I chose to trash “1Password old” along with its associated files. These files continue to remain in “trash.”

This morning when “5” was opened, it informed me that a “keychain” was missing. I found what I thought was the correct file on “Time Machine” (as it existed shortly preceding the trashing event). After updating 5 with this file from TimeMachine, 5 would open, but all of the “logins” seemed to be very old and included multiple entries: none of my recent updates to 5 appeared! :(

At this juncture, I went back to TimeMachine and updated iMac with the full 1Password 5.app plus 1Password old file. This didn’t change the fact that all logins were ancient!!! :(

I now went to a recent SuperDuper bootable backup and found that 1Password 5 contained current logins which worked perfectly!

Again, I transferred from the bootable backup both 1Password 5.app and 1Password old file to my iMac! But — surprisingly, I found that after ostensibly transferring a functioning 1Password 5, it behaved just as noted above (not as it worked when booting from backup): all of the logins were again old, the newer logins do not show!

I’m baffled!

At this point, I feel like trashing all references to 1Password on my current iMac (OS X 10.6.2) —- then reload 5 as a “new” 1Password user.

Should this work? And… is there a straight forward means of installing logins as they currently exist on the bootable SuperDuper backup, or from TimeMachine (although I’m not confident in TM). I want to erase all evidence of my many botched attempts!

Comments

• Norman K. Hester
    Norman K. Hester
    Community Member
    Options

I could not find a way to edit my post (above)... but, my current iMac runs OS X 10.10.2, not 10.6.2!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Norman K. Hester,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having with 1Password 5!

We can definitely help you get your current data transferred to your Mac from your backup. But first, I wanted to mention that 1Password actually stores your data in a location within the ~/Library/ folder on your Mac. My guess is that you had somehow set up Folder Sync between your 1Password vault and a .agilekeychain file inside your “1Password old” folder. Trashing that file/folder would have broken the sync (which I think is what the "missing keychain" error was about), but should not have caused a problem for the data in 1Password. It sounds like the actual problem started when restoring something from your Time Machine backup. It's probably not that important at this point, but I wanted to offer a possible explanation for what happened.

Now, as far as getting things back to normal: You mentioned that you booted into a recent SuperDuper bootable backup and 1Password had your current data there. Does that data seem to be complete/up-to-date? If you'd like to restore that 1Password data to your Mac, follow these steps:

• Go to your recent SuperDuper bootable backup, open 1Password 5, and confirm your current data is there
    • Go to File > Backup
    • Click the Show Files button
    • The window that opens will have your 1Password backup files - find the most recent one and copy that to your "normal" Mac
    • Go back into your regular Mac, open 1Password 5, and go to File > Restore
    • Click the Find Backup button
    • Find and choose the backup file you just copied from the SuperDuper backup

That should restore your current 1Password data. Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.