1Password failing to update login after using password generator - and another problem

Options
pdambournet
pdambournet
Community Member

This is becoming an issue with various websites. My latest problem was with the following website : http://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/.
Using the Safari browser extension to generate and fill a new p/w, the website registered the update while 1PW simply failed to record the change. Luckily, it had saved the generated p/w separately so there was an easy fix. Annoying, but not serious. But that depended entirely on using the FILL button.

Speaking of that button and the COPY TO CLIPBOARD BEFORE FILLING option, I had another incident involving a web page overlay that interfered with the extension filling the fields. 1PW actually leaves the generated p/w both out of the clipboard and unsaved unless the FILL button is clicked in the extension window. It's easy to check: generate a p/w from a browser extension or 1PW mini and do not click FILL. Nothing goes into the clipboard. Click fill and the clipboard gets the p/w. Therefore, if you are dealing with a website in which using the FILL button does not work and you COPY AND PASTE the new p/w instead, you have no p/w in the clipboard. That is enough to create/update a user account with a new p/w that is instantly lost if (1) 1PW fails to create/update the login (see above) and (2) you fail to recover the p/w manually from the clipboard before it's overwritten.

This can not be fixed simply by having 1PW copy all generated p/w to the clipboard as soon as they are generated, if only because each new p/w will wipe any previous p/w from that same clipboard before it is retrieved by the user. What is needed is nonstop safeguarding, writing to disk.

There really needs to be a continuous record of ALL and ANY passwords generated by 1PW, regardless of settings, menu options, user interactions, etc. regardless of any clipboard interactions. The record - a single file with timestamps attached to each p/w would be nice - would be accessible in case 1PW or the user loses a generated password for any reason. We have already seen that relying solely on new p/w entries into the 1PW database is simply not reliable in such scenarios. So, a single continuously updated list of generated passwords, attached to the database and backed up with it, using the master password for access, accessible from a preferences panel, would really be a very good data recovery tool, an effective password safety net.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Just checking in to report that I deleted your identical duplicate post.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @pdambournet,

I have personally reported the issue where copying the password using OS X's clipboard does not create a Password item as happens when you use the fill button. I hope we will resolve that soon. There is a way to copy the password though and have 1Password automatically create the Password item and that is via the little triangle to the right hand side of the fill button. It's possibly easiest to explain it with a screen shot.

As you can see, there is a copy option and as it's connected to the fill button it automatically creates the Password item like the fill command does.

I'm not sure if I understand the deficiencies in Password items in contrast to your suggested list. Obviously with either system we need to react if a user copies a password manually to the clipboard but that is independent of whether individual items or a list is a better solution. I would certainly like to hear more on why a list is better.

ref: OPM-2603

This discussion has been closed.