How to share an item in my 1PW vault

Options
tuni12
tuni12
Community Member

DH & I both have 1PW on our Macs. How can I send one of my 1PW items (including the PW, sign-in, notes etc...) with him. Can I e-mail it, export option doesn't seem to do it? Probably an easy way to do this, but......i don't know how.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

In the main app (assuming you're using 1P4 or 1P5) look towards the top of an item in the right hand pane. You should see there the classic OS X symbol of the box with the up arrow coming out of it (sorry, best way to describe it!). Click on that and you'll see the sharing options. Alternatively go through the menus to 1P > Item > Share.

Edit: For longer term sharing options take a look at this knowledge base article about sharing multiple vaults.

Stephen

• MikeT
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @tuni12,

The best way is to create a secondary vault to sync between both of you. You can then copy or move items, that you wish to share, into this vault and it'll sync to everyone else that you're sharing the vault with. Stephen has provided the link on how to get started with this: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/share-a-vault

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

thanks Steven & Mike - I only want to share this one item, not several so if he can't get the (MY) pw from the link I just sent him, I'll try the 2ndary vault approach but it might complicate things. Will let you know. thx

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

This method (sharing) will update his own logon for the same site. What we want to do, is ADD an additional log-on (mine) to his not change his...thoughts?

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

Whoops - figured it out did the "sharing" as suggested and then just entitling his differently. thx for the help

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tuni12,

I haven't made extensive use of the sharing options available in the past (just call me billynomates) so I went and played about with it. Without directly asking a dev my observations suggest very strongly that it's based on the UUID. If the UUID matches 1Password asked me if I wanted to update the Login item, if they didn't it asked if I wanted to add to my active vault. By active I mean the vault that is visible if you have more than one.

So you should be able to share Login items that have the same name, website field etc.

Just to add a little. When you share an item the data is what is best described as obfuscated rather than encrypted. Technically yes, it is encrypted but it's with a key that all copies of 1Password possess. So we would recommend iMessage, SMS or an encrypted email as ways to elevate the security. Of course you can share the link over some instant messaging service too if you know the channel is encrypted. That way you can feel safer when you share something.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for that info - in this particular case, I just wanted to share a 1PW entry with DH - so its probably as safe as my marriage laughing out loud

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:lol:

This discussion has been closed.