Is it possible to merge separate iOS databases?

KWH
KWH
Community Member

I've been using 1Password across an iPhone (5) and an iPad (2, 1 think?) for a few years without a problem. Both devices are currently running iOS8 latest update. They both seem to be syncing, I originally used DropBox for this.

Somehow (operator error?) one of the devices is now syncing to DropBox and the other is syncing to my iCloud account. I don't know when the switch occurred, possibly in one of the major software updates. I do remember having to reinstall the 1Password app at least once following some iOS update or other.

My question: is there any way to merge my two 1Password databases easily?

If it's not possible to automatically merge the files, is there someway I could do it manually on a computer? I haven't used 1Password on a computer and don't know what it would entail from a resourcing perspective (Mac).

The thought of devoting hours to manually sync them on a little touch screen fills me with a morose dread. I don't care if they sync to iCloud or DropBox as long as they sync to the same online database.

Thanks

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @KWH,

Yes, you can definitely merge your 1Password data and get sync working again, and it should actually be pretty easy! If you don't have a preference between Dropbox or iCloud sync, let's get this working with Dropbox again:

• On the device that is syncing with iCloud, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Sync Service > Disable Sync and confirm you want to disable sync.
    • Tap Start Syncing and choose Sync with Dropbox.
    • Choose your Dropbox account, then choose your vault (if you see multiple keychain files, choose the one syncing with your other device).
    • If you see a Vault Mismatch message, tap More Info and then tap Merge These Vaults Anyway.
    • Allow Dropbox to complete the sync.

This should get your devices syncing correctly again. If you run into any problems with that or have questions, please let us know. Thanks!

• KWH
    KWH
    Community Member

Thanks Drew, great advice. Easy fix that calmed my inner luddite.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @KWH Thanks for reporting back, it's always good to hear things are running smoothly after you've contacted us with an issue :smile:

This discussion has been closed.