Secure Data transmitted to developer?

Options
DT_Coastal
DT_Coastal
Community Member

Simple question from a non-IT guy here... How do I know that all my secure login and card data (passwords) are not being transmitted to Agile bits? Especially during an update? And if so, doesn't that represent a breach?

Comments

• DT_Coastal
    DT_Coastal
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. That is reassuring. I hope that the free version (as I try it out before I buy) has the same security as the Pro version. And that it is not temporary. Appreciate the response.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

There is no difference is security features between the free and Pro versions of 1Password. I'm not sure what you mean by hoping it's not temporary. The security features aren't temporary.

• DT_Coastal
    DT_Coastal
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you - you answered my question. By temporary I meant a 30-day or some such free period after which the app would stop functioning. I've used it enough now over the past few days that the Pro version makes a lot of sense. Thanks for making life easier!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The free version can still be used after 30 days for accessing and using existing passwords. You just can't add new passwords or edit old ones.

If you really wanted to be sure that private details aren't being sent to Agile, you would have to use a program like Little Snitch to check traffic.

If you use rich icons (which can be turned off), 1PW does have to go to sites to collect the icons.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DT_Coastal,

With iOS there is no way of having a trial period. So with iOS we are experimenting with the freemium model. You get the basic functionality for free and it will never expire. If you like it and want the extra features you can (but are not obliged to) make the in-app purchase which you only need to do once and it will cover all devices connected with the purchasing Apple ID.

We do offer a 30 day trial for both the Mac and Windows version of 1Password if you download from our site. There is now way to give a trial of the MAS version but if you try from our store and then purchase the MAS version it will import the vault you created during the trial.

Due to the locked down nature of iOS apps there isn't an easy way to sniff and see what is being transmitted by 1Password but it's like the Mac version. If you sync via iCloud or Dropbox when obviously we need to connect to those services. If you use Rich Icons 1Password will connect to our server and only our server (see the link handily supplied by @brenty) I use Little Snitch and the limited rules I have in place with 1Password that cover all attempted connections relate only to Rich Icons (as I'm a MAS user and 1Password doesn't need to check for updates, that's the App Stores job).

Your vault will never leave your device unless you specifically set up syncing. It's actually one of the main reasons I'm such a fan of 1Password; my vault is in my possession. It doesn't go anywhere unless I say it does. We take that very seriously.

This discussion has been closed.