1p4 won't sync, empty trash and now lists huge number as # of items

Options
karon
karon
Community Member
edited February 2015 in Mac

I upgraded recently to 1Pass4 on two computers (different locations) after years of earlier versions with no problems. At present, the application is unusable in just about every way and I cannot seem to revert to an earlier state. I suspect the key here is to revert to an earlier state, but I can't seem to do this. Where could the point of corruption be?

BACKGROUND:

• Both macs were running Mavericks til last week. I recently upgraded one of the machines to Yosemite, around the same time I upgraded 1P3 -> 1P4+1P5 (paid for 5, got both). Have been using 1P4 since I can't run 1P5 on both (but see note at end, I did try 1P5).
  • My inter-mac sync method has always been local file, carefully used on only one machine at a time, with ChronoSync to move the keychain between the two as needed. This has been been trouble-free.
  • My vault currently has around 500 items in it.

PROBLEMS:
The problems started yesterday (I think), and escalated severely in this order.
Throughout this, frequent reboots and reinstalls of 1P4 and the mini menubar version.

1. OUT OF SYNC: noticed yesterday that the databases on the two machines were not in sync - changes made in one were not showing up in the other. (this may have started several days ago - I was suspicious). Brought the 2nd laptop home so I could work on them together. Verified that they were accessing the sync file and the sync file was getting transferred properly. Possible that this problem had been present since first 1P4 use.

2. TRIED DROPBOX SYNC - TRIGGER? I intended this as a one-shot vault coordination (I would prefer to not use dropbox generally). I set up both sync files to point to the same dropbox location. One machine initially reported successful syncing, whereas the other never synced again - it began giving a sync error with the new dropbox location.

From this point on, things just got worse and worse.

1. MANUAL SYNC -> then both failed on dropbox. On theory that the non synching vault was corrupted, I tried to manually match them up from within the application (identify discrepancies, manually create one master which I'd then use to replace the bad database). I did create the one master, using the file that had been successfully synching. But then it also failed the dropbox sync. (maybe just a matter of time).

2. TRASH WONT EMPTY Noticed I could no longer empty the 1P4 trash. No error, but trash not emptied.

3. LOCAL FILE SYNC NOW FAILS Tried a local file sync, just to see if I could get it to sync with anything. Failed. (this was working before).

4. VAULT SIZE TINY Noticed that the vault (.agilekeychain sync file) size had dropped from around 800K to 19K. Within the app the data all seemed to be present. This was soon the case on both computers. I had an earlier vault and replaced the sync file with it; it quickly turned into 19K, even as the sync reported failed.

5. ITEM COUNT EXPLODED Item count ("all items" abruptly soared from around 500 to a 20-digit number,** following another careful reinstall of 1P4 and reboot. The same huge number is in the Trash item count. That is: counts for all items, and for trash, is the same absurd number, and the actual items in the database do not figure into it.

6. BROWSER EXTENSIONS NOT COMMUNICATING WITH DATABASE The browser logins no longer working - I created a login to post in this forum, said 'yes' to 1P4 asking to put it in the database, but it's not there. At this point, I would have been surprised if they did.

7. CLEAN NEW VAULT HAS SAME PROBLEM. Tried creating a new vault, with a fresh install of 1P4. It also shows a 20-digit item count, and cannot empty the trash. The new vault (one item) has succeeded with a local file sync. I'm not bothering to take it through all the other steps since it's obviously messed up already.

Other possibly relevant facts:

• I did run 1P5 on the Yosemite machine, and may have gone back and forth between the versions without suitable cleanup. And, keychain versions were shared between 1P4 and 1P5. Maybe this caused a corruption; but I tested for it by reverting to a pre-1P5 backup, and strictly running 1P4 on both. Problem did not go away.

• am assuming my iOS devices do not figure into this. I haven't done any synching with them since this trouble started.

Comments

• karon
    karon
    Community Member
    Options

Update: By reverting to a much earlier version (I believe it was from 1Password 3) and reinstalling and restarting/rebooting everything on both computers I was able to get back to a 'clean' and functioning work. Of course I lost a lot of data. (before I got there, I additionally noted a lot of records in the database that were missing random bits of information, like the password and user ID for a login that was working yesterday).

I have no idea what caused this meltdown because I don't see where I made an error. To be sure, I'm going to religiously NOT use 1P5 because the only thing I can think of is that I opened it up once, to take a look, while 1P4 was running in my network on another machine.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @karon,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble here. It sounds like quite the frustration! Before you try anything further, let's take a closer look at your system to see if we can determine where things got tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from each of your Macs:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the Report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• karon
    karon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan! I sent both reports as directed. The support ID is: #KQQ-56418-615

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Karon,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: KQQ-56418-615

This discussion has been closed.