Migration from 3.7.2 to 5 fails in iPhone5

Options
eero
eero
Community Member

I am trying to migrate 1password 3.7.2 to version 5 following the instructions. After clicking Open 1password 3 and entering the passcode for 1password 3, I of not get the popup window that is supposed to allow me to import into new 1Password. How can I proceed? I have spent 2 hours trying to get this done.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @eero,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here. Unfortunately, that lovely little "import" pop-up is a one-time-only pop-up, so if you dismissed it at a previous time, you won't see it again. Please try this:

• First, just to be sure: go to the App Store > Purchases section, and make sure that you see 1Password 3 for iOS there. If you don't, let me know before proceeding any further.
    • In 1Password 3 for iOS, make a backup of the data to your computer. This will create a .1ptbackup file, which can only be restored to 1Password 3 for iOS.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

• Delete 1Password 3 for iOS from the device, then go to App Store > Purchased (on iPhone go to App Store > Updates > Purchased) and search for 1Password there.

• The old icon should be visible with a cloud icon next to it. Tap the cloud icon to re-download.
    • Open 1Password 3 for iOS, and set up the same passcode and Master Password as you had before.
    • If you get prompted to import, tap that you will do it later, but do not tap that you never want to see the prompt again.
    • Restore the .1ptbackup file according to the restore instructions in the previous link.
    • Close both 1Password 3 for iOS and 1Password 5 for iOS from the multitasking view. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5137
    • Launch 1Password 3 for iOS, and tap that you want to begin the import when you are prompted.

Let me know how this goes!

• eero
    eero
    Community Member
    Options

Just to make sure, I could not open the backup file on my computer with 1Password on that computer. Is that OK?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eero,

How did you attempt to open the file? It's a specific file that can't simply be opened by double-clicking in Finder.

• eero
    eero
    Community Member
    Options

It did not open. But now I have another problem. When trying to restore the backup, I open the backup file, but when I click the restore button, I get an error message that Safari can´t connect to the server. I tried with Firefox, too, the same problem. What is going on?

• Hi @eero,

Is the backup file on your computer, or is it still in 1Password3 on your iPhone? Also, are you using a Windows or Mac computer?

• eero
    eero
    Community Member
    Options

MacBook with Yosemite, the file is on my computer, connecting iPhone 5, version 8.1.3. I selected this file to restore and clicked the restore button, but Safari cannot access the page, it says server where this file is isn't responding.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @eero,

It is normal (and expected) that the backup file cannot be opened on your Mac. Only iOS can read it.

Could you please try using the IP address instead of the host name, after verifying that both the Mac and iPhone are on the same WiFi network, and that the WiFi network allows communication between connected devices?

Thanks!

• eero
    eero
    Community Member
    Options

I made a backup a few days ago, but when I tried to restore my passwords from the backup, I could no longer access the page. Now I tried to backup my passwords again, but I still cannot access the page where the password file can be downloaded. The error message is as above. How can I backup my data and once backed up, can I trust I can access this page again to restore?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eero,

The URL for that backup/restore page will be slightly different each time. If you're trying to use the same exact website as before, it won't work. To restore your data from the .1ptbackup file you saved to your computer a few days ago, please make sure you follow the steps for Restoring Data from a Backup on this page: https://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

Does that help? Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• eero
    eero
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is that when I am attempting to back up the passwords on my iPhone and I get the URL where the backup file is supposed to be located, I cannot access this page on my computer. So I cannot even save the file, not to mention being able to restore from the file. Neither the IP address nor the host name work, I tried both Safari and Firefox. When I tried this for the first time, it worked, I could save the backup file, but when I tried to restore, I could not access the page. In the meanwhile, I have entered new passwords to the old version, but I can no longer back them up. Why cannot I access these pages, I am following the instructions on your web pages exactly, but it just does not work.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @eero,

Please try using an AdHoc WiFi network to access the page:

• eero
    eero
    Community Member
    Options

I am getting desperate here. I cannot even make a backup, when I try to navigate to the page given for the backup by 1Password, I cannot enter this page, 3 different browsers all say the server cannot be found. AdHoc network did not help, when I tried to backup within that network, I got a message that I am not connected to internet. The first time I backed up it did work, but never after that, and even in that case, I could not enter the page to restore. And I need to backup to complete the migration as instructed by Megan above. I have spent hours and hours for this, and I am getting really upset. Why does it not work for me?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eero,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling frustrated. I don't blame you, this process has gone on quite long enough. It sounds to me like your devices might not be communicating properly. Please re-boot all your devices ... including your router. Then try this backup one more time.

If you're still having trouble after the re-boot, have no fear! We have a backup plan: we'd like to set up some one-on-one time with one of our technical gurus. So please email in to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this thread (it will help if you include a short description of the issue that's been driving you to distraction as well.) You should receive an automated response to your email with a support ID number. If you post that here, we'll be able to quickly track your email down and ensure that it gets dealt with as soon as possible!

Thanks so much for working with us on this. We'll get you sorted out!

This discussion has been closed.