Can no longer run 1password for MAC

Options
aarboleda
aarboleda
Community Member

I am not sure what has changed but every time I try to launch 1 password or MAC it crashes. I get a very nice error message from Mac

1password for MAC in safari or firefox is working fine.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aarboleda,

I'm sorry 1Password is crashing on your Mac! To make sure I understand, the 1Password extension is working correctly in your browsers, but you cannot launch the main 1Password app? If that's correct, can you please let us know some more details about the problem and your setup in general:

• What is the error message you see when you try to open the 1Password app?
    • What version of 1Password are you using?
    • Are you using the web store version or Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What version of Max OS X is running on your Mac?
    • When did this problem start happening? (For example, after installing an update?)
    • Have you tried restarting your Mac to see if that helps?

The more details you can give us, the better. Thanks in advance!

• aarboleda
    aarboleda
    Community Member
    Options

What is the error message you see when you try to open the 1Password app?
    1Password cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure 1password 5 works with this version of OS X . You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X .

What version of 1Password are you using?
    Not sure exact version of 1 password for mac 5

Are you using the web store version or Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    I believe the web store version. I did not download or buy through the Mac App store.

What version of Max OS X is running on your Mac?
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10.2 (14C109)

When did this problem start happening? (For example, after installing an update?)
    I think after installing a 1password update but not sure. I cannot install any updates. When i try to install an update it also crashes.

Have you tried restarting your Mac to see if that helps?

Multiple times but that does not help.

• aarboleda
    aarboleda
    Community Member
    Options

I think I have resolved my problem. I deleted 1 password 5 for MAC from my applications folder. I reinstalled the application. I launched the application and I received an error message saying I was running an incompatible Mini 1 password version and that I should only be running 1 version of 1 password 5 for MAC. I deleted copies of 1password 5 from download folder. I re launched the 1password 5 for MAC and I no longer get the error message about incompatible versions.

• aarboleda
    aarboleda
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps this can be addressed via bug fix that can be rolled out in the next version. Check to see where application may be installed and prompt user to delete other copies or require installation in applications folder.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aarboleda,

Well firstly I'm glad to hear that it's at least running properly again.

It sounds like you've been bitten by two separate bugs. The first is a broken upgrade which you resolved by deleting the old copy and downloading a fresh one. This bug we're hoping to resolve soon, it just took a while to ascertain what the root of the issue was.

The second bug is actually a Yosemite one. Pre-Yosemite a user could have multiple copies of an application and it would be fine. In Yosemite though it gets confused and attempts to launch the wrong copy of 1Password mini. At the moment all we can do is let the user know via the warning message we use which informs them of the two different locations. It isn't ideal but my understanding is we're waiting on Apple for the fix.

Hopefully these problems are behind you know though and you can get back to being assisted by 1Password :smile:

This discussion has been closed.