Feature Request: Indicator that a copied password is still in the clipboard.

Options

It would be great if there was an option to have the system tray icon change it's icon (and any other "hey, look at me" things that might be reasonable) to let you know that the last password you copied to the clipboard is still in the clipboard. Kind of a reminder. Bonus points if there's a way you can interact with the indicator to clear the clipboard (ie, copy an empty string to the clipboard).

The direct input available on 1Password for Windows is great, but either some programs don't play nice with it or occasionally even webpages interfere with it, and you're forced to use the clipboard. Being able to minimize the time that the sensitive information is on the clipboard is a good thing. (For all these reasons: https://brooknovak.wordpress.com/2009/07/28/accessing-the-system-clipboard-with-javascript/ )

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Philippe23,

Bonus points if there's a way you can interact with the indicator to clear the clipboard (ie, copy an empty string to the clipboard).

There is a feature to clear your clipboard after a specific time, it's available in the 1Password application's Security preferences. If you open the main application, unlock, and click on Preferences to head to the Security tab, you'll see the various clipboard options in the Clipboard section. The one you want is the Clear values copied to the clipboard after X seconds. There are also the options to clear the clipboard upon the application exit or minimize.

The direct input available on 1Password for Windows is great, but either some programs don't play nice with it or occasionally even webpages interfere with it, and you're forced to use the clipboard.

When you say direct input, do you mean the Auto-Type feature or our browser extensions? If the extension, you do have the option of using the AutoType feature to have 1Password type in your data instead of relying on your clipboard.

It would be great if there was an option to have the system tray icon change it's icon (and any other "hey, look at me" things that might be reasonable) to let you know that the last password you copied to the clipboard is still in the clipboard.

We'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion.

• Philippe23
    Philippe23
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey @MikeT

When you say direct input, do you mean the Auto-Type feature or our browser extensions?

I meant the auto-type feature.

There is a feature to clear your clipboard after a specific time[...]

Yeah, I'm aware of that feature, but it drives me batty. It's either too loose to be meaningful or to tight for some slow activities or some short distraction (eg someone walks in to ask a question).

It would be nice if you could tell once I've pasted, but I'm betting that's not available. So some non-invasive, but easy to get at way to say, "I'm done -- clear it" would be nice. Right now I tend to copy something else, but sometimes I'm at a loss to find something I can copy depending on what programs I have open.

We'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion.

Great! Thanks!

• No, thank you for your feedback :)

This discussion has been closed.