Bought a used computer installed 1Password and synced. Now computer wont boot should I be worried?

Options

I just got a used computer on Friday and installed 1Password and synced to dropbox. All my passwords are now on the computer. Now the computer wont boot. I am going to return it to the seller. Should I be worried about my passwords?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

No. Without your master password the vault is secure.

That said, if you have another computer and want to be paranoid then you can take the hard drive and plug it in to another system to wipe the vault from the drive.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @georgerparker50,

As Richard said, your vault is stored encrypted and can't be opened without your master password. It also relies on how strong your password is. If your password is easy to guess like "123456", that person can unlock your 1Password data.

synced to dropbox.

Make sure to unlink your dead computer from Dropbox in the Settings > Security area on the Dropbox.com site.

I am going to return it to the seller. Should I be worried about my passwords?

Generally not for 1Password but that doesn't mean the rest of the information that's not in 1Password can't be retrieved. You should consider a secure wipe if you already have a backup of your data elsewhere as Richard mentioned.

This discussion has been closed.