What firewall ports does the sync between iPhone & 1Pwd on Mac use?

Hi,

I'm using the 1Password.app on my iPhone and would like to sync the data with the 1Password.app on the Mac.
Everything works fine, as long as both devices are in the same wifi network.
Unfortunately thats not always the case. In some situations there is a firewall between the iPhone and the Mac. It would be no problem to open the ports and let the two 1Password.app's talk to each other, if I knew which ports those were.

Of course the corresponding traffic should be in the logs, but those are overwhelmingly huge even for just a minute - and I am not the expert in reading them to begin with. So I ask here, in the hope somebody else came across this problem and found a solution.

So long.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    From our Wi-Fi Sync Troubleshooting Guide:

1Password’s sync uses a robust approach that should not have issues with firewall or other security software, but some users have reported that some security applications cause problems. We are investigating these reports and how best to address them.

Some users have reported that their firewall had to be disabled in order to allow the automatic sync mechanism to function properly. Common firewall software includes:

• The Mac OS X firewall, which can be configured in System Preferences > Security
    • Intego ContentBarrier — This is a parental control application that can restrict network traffic based on the configuration of an administrator.
    • Little Snitch — This is a dedicated outbound traffic firewall the allows you to decide on the fly whether to allow or deny traffic by a particular application on a particular port.
    • Intego VirusBarrier — As of VirusBarrier X6, this includes a two-way firewall that can restrict inbound and outbound traffic. It’s also possible for your device to end up blacklisted and this can also cause the sync to be blocked.

If you’re using any of these applications, please consult their documentation for how to whitelist 1Password for all outbound traffic and inbound traffic on UDP port 5353, which is the port that the Bonjour process uses for connecting available services on the network.

;-)
  • maelcum
    maelcum
    Community Member
    Ah. UPD 5353. Thanks a lot!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Nope. UDP. :-P

Cheers,
  • maelcum
    maelcum
    Community Member
    edited February 2011
    har har. *very* funny. and *so* eloquent.

//rant:on

I wish I had found the FAQ while googleing for an answer. Unfortunately I didn't. So being unlucky there, certainly justifies making fun of me.
    And making a typo does so as well. Great job of you to have spotted that and took advantage of it.
    Do I sound cranky because of some nuisance? Well, I am.

I hate it when I ask for help and people make fun of me. Especially from people who could help me out.
    Instead of encouraging me to spend time with their product, the answer of these people taint everything that has to do with the company they speak for. And all for the sake of being funny.
    I feel old and quaint. And I feel afraid to ask anything, since it could be covered in some obscure faq that I haven't stumbled upon. Or I could make a typo. Boy, I wouldn't want that.
    I rather go and ask my questions in a forum where they speak my mother tongue, since my effort in doing it in a foreign language obviously makes me more vulnerable. Jerks are everywhere, so why not get made fun of in my own language...

//rant:off
  • MikeT
    edited February 2011
    Hi Maelcum,

I truly do apologize on behalf of Khad, it was not his intention or our intensions to make fun or anybody at all. We would never find that acceptable and absolutely, it is never justifiable. Things unfortunately slips and we would like to be more casual with our users but that can fail in the worse possible way. We are humans ourselves and sometime, we try to be more open and friendly. This doesn’t work well over the Internet or more specifically, emails and forums. Forums are usually full of those casual conversations and sometime, with jokes between everybody including employees of the company.

Please do accept our apologies and we do not want you to walk away from this experience thinking we are like this.

Please also feel free to always contact us directly to our support team at support@agile.ws, it’ll be private and it WILL not be taken anything else than seriously.
  • maelcum
    maelcum
    Community Member
    Hi MikeT,

no need to apologize. It is me who should do so.
    I am truly thankful for help and usually also aware of the difference of jovial banter and passive aggressive better-than-you's.
    Obviously I missed it this time. Please excuse my rant.

Best Regards

mael
  • Hi Mael,

Thank you for understanding.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, either via this forums or via email that I mentioned.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    Mael,

I do not wish to belabor the point, but I thought it wise to post a reply myself. (I was off the last couple of days or would have already done so.)

I agree with what Mike wrote 100%. My post was indeed meant to be teasing in a humorous, informal way. Please accept my apologies.

I can't even begin to imagine the number of typos I make myself. I have the benefit of looking at these forums for sometimes hours a day and can edit the ones I find as I read over them again. :-)

We are always here to help. Please don't hesitate to ask anything further in the future. I would hate to have made you gun-shy. It was a perfectly valid question for which I had to search our own documentation!

All the best,
This discussion has been closed.