1Password5 Mini not starting on Yosemite login

Options
cyprustel
cyprustel
Community Member

Hi, I downloaded 1P5 for both my MBP, my wife's MB Air and both iPhone4Ss a couple of days ago as a replacement for the incredibly annoying Keeper. Very happy with it so far but there is a problem for which I can find no open discussion or solution here. Despite the fact that I have ticked all of the correct boxes 1Password mini does not startup on login on my MBP running Yosemite but works fine on the MB Air. I have to start the 1P5 app first then after that it's fine. I suppose I could put 1P5 into my startup items but I thought the 1P5 mini was supposed to avoid that or am I misunderstanding something? It's not a show stopper or deal breaker but it would be nice if it worked. Would a simple reinstall cure the problem or could I lose the data already entered?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cyprustel,

It sounds like you've already checked this setting in 1Password, but just to make sure:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Select the General tab.
    • Make sure there's a check mark next to the "Always keep 1Password mini running" option.
    • To make sure you can see if it's running, "Show mini app icon in the menu bar" should also be enabled.

You're correct that you don't need to add 1Password to your startup items. If the above preferences were already enabled but 1Password mini doesn't automatically start when you reboot your Mac, do you by any chance have the 1Password app somewhere other than in the main Applications folder? If you have the app somewhere else (for example, in Downloads or on the Desktop), please try moving it to Macintosh HD/Applications/ and reboot your Mac to see if that helps at all.

If it's still a problem, you can certainly try reinstalling 1Password to see if it helps. Simply drag the 1Password app from Applications to the Trash (your data is fine as long as you don't use any app cleaning utilities to do that). Then empty the Trash, reboot your Mac, and re-download 1Password 5.

Please let us know how it all goes! If it's still a problem, we'll take it from there. Thanks!

• cyprustel
    cyprustel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew_AG, thanks for the reply. As you say both boxes are ticked and the app is definitely in the Applications folder. I have now deleted it, downloaded it again (from the agilebits website), reinstalled it and tried restarting the machine but I'm sorry to say the mini app still does not start. I can tell you that the mini app starts as soon as I start the main app and I don't even need to log in. If you need any log files to assist you then please let me know.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @cyprustel,

I think the best way forward would be as follows.

1. Reboot your Mac.
    2. Try to open 1Password mini using the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\
    3. When it fails to do anything launch 1Password.
    4. Repeat step 2.

Then I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+ forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once you've sent the Report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

related: 1Password not opening when starting new MBP

• cyprustel
    cyprustel
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Guys, done as requested, diag report with you [#RTK-14878-338]. Something further I discovered. The problem only manifests if 1Password Mini is not running when the machine is shutdown / rebooted. If it's running when rebooted then it comes back up OK. This explains why it was seen upon first startup after installation.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cyprustel,

Thank you for posting the ticket ID, it makes it a lot easier to find your post :smile:

As we're now communicating via email I'm going to go ahead and close this thread but if you have any further questions or issues please do post.

This discussion has been closed.